Looking for amplifier ideas for Aeon i's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scumurculum

Reaction score
Presently I am running a 5.1 setup using a denon AVCA11XV as the processor and amp.

For movies and multichannel I could not be happier.

But for 2ch i really feel that I need more, so my plan is for a 2ch amp to power the aeon I's with the denon to act as the preamp and to power the other speakers.

My question if for anyone with Aeon i experience, what are some good power amps that will do these babies justice. (budget 5K Australian - approx 3k US)

Some suggestions I have already received are:

Dared DV200 - valve 200w monoblocks
Krell 400xi.

My ideal would be for something to give me a good balance between bass and details without sounding too bright.

Any suggestions apreciated

Cheers

Amplifier Ideas...

Scumurculum,

Welcome to the ML Club!
I recently fell in love with the sound of the McIntosh MC275 tube amp. with no preamp just plugged into the source McIntosh MCD201 SACD/CD player, for music listening on cloud nine... :D If you like the sound of SS, I would recommend the Anthem P2, SimAudio (two channel Moon), Cary Audio, Musical Fidelity. I need to refer you to my other posts on amplifiers, I guess you could do a search here to see more... My review under recommended amplifier - Anthem P5 would hold true for the Anthem P2 as well...

Good luck on your amplifier quest. :D Always 'Trust your ears'. ;)

I run a Classe CA-101 which is in that price range and I couldn't be happier. (although I do run it with a valve preamp).

Krell and Musical Fidelity are also a good choice, and so is the TacT SDA2175 from what I've heard.

Most importantly, get out there and have a listen!

Keep a lookout out for the Outlaws!

I'm currently driving my ML Mosaics (2) with Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks, the remaining speakers are assigned to an Outlaw 7500. Give them a look n' see partner: http://www.outlawaudio.com Good luck.

I think you've got some good advice so far. When I auditoned my Aeon i's, I was in a toss up over the Classé CAP-2100, and the Musical Fidelity A5. Both integrated amps and both ran the speakers very, very well.

Check Audiogon.com for some good deals.

Another vote for Classe

I'd definitely second Amey01's recommendation for the Classe CA 101.

I currently drive my MLs with a Classe 101 connected directly to a Wadia CDP (ie no preamp) and it sounds magic.

Good luck!

I say look no further than your neighbor next door.......... Plinius SA-102, I love mine !!! Used it should be within your range.

twich54 said:
I say look no further than your neighbor next door.......... Plinius SA-102, I love mine !!! Used it should be within your range.
Twich...Didn't you audition the Classe amps and the Plinius at your local shop when you were in the Amp Purchase mode?

DTB300 said:
Twich...Didn't you audition the Classe amps and the Plinius at your local shop when you were in the Amp Purchase mode?

Dan, I auditioned so many it's hard to recall all of them. I did audition at the same time , side-by-side in an A / B comparison the Plinius, Classe' and Pass Labs. While all three were stellar the Plinius was a notch better IMHO, given it's Class A capability is just another bonus to me, as I'm sure the other Plinius owners would agree.

Last edited:
Scumurculum said:
Presently I am running a 5.1 setup using a denon AVCA11XV as the processor and amp.

For movies and multichannel I could not be happier.

But for 2ch i really feel that I need more, so my plan is for a 2ch amp to power the aeon I's with the denon to act as the preamp and to power the other speakers.

My question if for anyone with Aeon i experience, what are some good power amps that will do these babies justice. (budget 5K Australian - approx 3k US)

Some suggestions I have already received are:

Dared DV200 - valve 200w monoblocks
Krell 400xi.

My ideal would be for something to give me a good balance between bass and details without sounding too bright.

Any suggestions apreciated

Cheers

I would recommend integrating a good two channel preamp into your system as well. The Denon is still going to be a big weak link for two channel audio.

jjqiv said:
I would recommend integrating a good two channel preamp into your system as well. The Denon is still going to be a big weak link for two channel audio.

I admit that is one of my concerns, that is why I like (in principle) the Krell 400xi which is an integrated amp and also has av pass through...haven't auditioned it yet though.

I have listened to a setup with the moon I5, which has the av passthough and sounded beautiful, but at 70w it does not quite have enough juice.

Scumurculum said:
I admit that is one of my concerns, that is why I like (in principle) the Krell 400xi which is an integrated amp and also has av pass through...haven't auditioned it yet though.

When I bought my current system (Pathos Logos amp, Vantage), I started by trying the Aeon I being driven by the Pathos Classic One. For a "low budget" system that combination worked pretty well.

I actually wanted to pair the Aeons with the Krell 400xi, but the dealer advised against it as being pointless (given the sound I like--the valves in the integrated preamp do make a difference). I also know from other sources (ESL lovers) that only the bigger Krells are really worthwhile.

In any case, listen to as many combinations as possible and let your ears be the judge.

//p

Hi,

Here's a dark horse -- the oft-overlooked Quad 909 is inexpensive, has a wonderful hear-through midrange, is both powerful and stable and has had no trouble driving CLS IIs and the Vantage in my (14 x 26) room. Its small size seems to disqualify it from consideration in the US but it is a world-class amp and might be worth a demo if you have a dealer locally. YMMV.

best,

k

NAD has an excellent 2 channel amp that you can get in Australia.

Scumurculum said:

I have listened to a setup with the moon I5, which has the av passthough and sounded beautiful, but at 70w it does not quite have enough juice.

If you already like the sound from tube equipment, you will likely not care for the Krell. Kind of like comparing a high qualitly color image vs. one that is in black and white.

Tube Audio Design TAD-1000 monoblocks

I have used the TAD-1000 tube monoblocks with Aeons and now Ascent i's. I think they go for about $2300? new. Check reviews online for the TAD-60 as well, a 60W amp from the same outfit. I haven't found any TAD-1000 reviews, but the TAD-60 is similar, just less power. There are several happy TAD-1000 owners in this forum.

I am extremely pleased with the cheap Behringer EP1500 with my SL3s-no preamp,the amp has volume pots.I am using an ARC VS-110 with my CLSs.

With any ML,you can't go wrong with any Classe. :D

I agree. Classe has always sounded good on electrostats period. :) I also like the Musical Fidelity stuff.

What I am curious to find out, is how well the newest range of class D amps fair. The Rotels, and the NuForce, and the Rowland ICE amps.

Back