Looking for amplifier ideas for Aeon i's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just been loaned a thule PA350B which If i like I can get for 1/4 retail price.

once I work out how to set up the denon as a preamp for the font channels ill give it a go.

Scumurculum said:
once I work out how to set up the denon as a preamp for the font channels ill give it a go.
Most receiver/processor units have "Pre Out" jacks for Main, Surrounds, etc. Just feed that to your amp, remove the main speaker wires from the Denon, and hook them up to new amp, and you should be all set.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Most receiver/processor units have "Pre Out" jacks for Main, Surrounds, etc. Just feed that to your amp, remove the main speaker wires from the Denon, and hook them up to new amp, and you should be all set.

Dan

Thanks, i realised I had not set up the power amp properly.

Anyway hearing the Aeon i's through the Thule PA350B power amp makes all the difference.

Before the speakers sounded great but felt somewhat lost in the room for want of a better desciption.

Now the improvement is amazing, the speakers have much more presence, not to mention, the much stronger and punchier bass.

Its amazing what 350 watts per channel at 8 ohms will do

Now will I keep the amp or audition more...

Last edited:
Update

Finally after auditioning 3 different amps (Thule pa350b, quad 909 and an old high end marantz (cant remember the model).

I have chosen the Thule, I love the bass and extra detail, the sibilance was a problem initially but after a bit of ajustment of speaker location, that has been resolved.

THe quad was nice sounding (great mid sounding) but did not quite have enough power. Also the guy who runs the store selling them was very rude - will never go there again.

The marantz sounded like there was a sock over the speakers

With 350 w and 8 ohm and 500w at 4 ohm using the Thule - anyone who says MLs cant do heavy music have not heard my system.

Next investemnt - a valve pre amp, but not for a while.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Scumurculum said:
Update

Finally after auditioning 3 different amps (Thule pa350b, quad 909 and an old high end marantz (cant remember the model).

I have chosen the Thule, I love the bass and extra detail, the sibilance was a problem initially but after a bit of ajustment of speaker location, that has been resolved.

THe quad was nice sounding (great mid sounding) but did not quite have enough power. Also the guy who runs the store selling them was very rude - will never go there again.

The marantz sounded like there was a sock over the speakers

With 350 w and 8 ohm and 500w at 4 ohm using the Thule - anyone who says MLs cant do heavy music have not heard my system.

Next investemnt - a valve pre amp, but not for a while.
Scumurculum,

Glad to hear you made a fine choice. ;) ML are very revealing speakers for sure.

Congratulations, Photo's would be nice, when you get a chance. :D

Robin said:
Scumurculum,

Glad to hear you made a fine choice. ;) ML are very revealing speakers for sure.

Congratulations, Photo's would be nice, when you get a chance. :D

Thankyou photos coming soon - I have done a major re-arrangment and tidy up of my sytem recently - including a new equipment rack.

ovature said:
Try a radio shack or Lafayette amp. They make the best

Given what this individual thinks of the new M/L lineup I think his above amp recomendations are in line with his overall knowledge of our hobby in general (I'm sure he is using a Radio Shack boombox, that way the veneer won't peel of the plastic speakers !!)

It's good to hear you are happy with your amp selection ! Happy listening !

Back