Looking at subwoofer brands other than ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about comparing a single sub that has two woofers to two subs with a single woofer. The two are still superior, right?

Say you took two woofers and 2 amps and put those in a sub, and then took the same amps and woofers and put them into two subs that each contain only one of the woofers and one of the amps. So each sub is powered by the same amps and woofers, just distributed different. Its the fact the woofers are spread out in the room rather than both in the same spot that makes them sound better?
I'm not a sub expert but have been spending a lot of time figuring out my 'future' sub configuration. My initial plan was to upgrade my Descent i to a BF 212. Then the real discussion started. First, Chops enlightened me about running high level connections to my Descent i. I spent much of today on that project, and that will go live tomorrow. Next, I was surprised to learn that going to two (or even more) subs appears to be beneficial in balancing out the bass across the room. I want to be careful trying to explain this but apparently, the more subs you have, the easier it is to physically place them for good bass. That's very appealing to me as I have two (or maybe two and a half) places I can put a sub. If multiple subs helps me with my bass, I'm going for it...

I'm not a sub expert but have been spending a lot of time figuring out my 'future' sub configuration. My initial plan was to upgrade my Descent i to a BF 212. Then the real discussion started. First, Chops enlightened me about running high level connections to my Descent i. I spent much of today on that project, and that will go live tomorrow. Next, I was surprised to learn that going to two (or even more) subs appears to be beneficial in balancing out the bass across the room. I want to be careful trying to explain this but apparently, the more subs you have, the easier it is to physically place them for good bass. That's very appealing to me as I have two (or maybe two and a half) places I can put a sub. If multiple subs helps me with my bass, I'm going for it...
I think it also helps because you are able to divide the work between two or more subs rather than having one do it all. Less pressure developed inside of each. I think it makes it easier to develop high levels of bass without risking distortion because the woofers arent working as hard.

Yup - 2 subs tame room issues much better than one. I'd rather have a pair of subs that cost $2K each than one $4K sub.
Thats the impression I am getting. Prior to coming on here I did not think that was the case. Ive never done a test between the two options before, never heard it. In fact I think all of the systems I have heard are just 1 sub.

I started running a pair of subs almost four years ago. I put them next to the Left and Right speakers. They worked better together than either one alone in the locations they were in, but it was far from ideal performance wise.

I now have added my old Rel which is smaller and a different design type, but was able to get great results after moving the twin subs to other locations in the room. So now there's two subs forward of the seating area and one sub behind. When I turn off any one subwoofer it is immediately noticeable that a source of bass is missing and I can tell which one is off. The bass now feels like it envelopes the seating area with three subwoofers versus two.

Also, does it have a remote so you can adjust the volume without having to walk to the sub and fiddle in the back of the sub? That is a HUGE convenience feature that I would make mandatory.

This remote option shouldn't even be a serious consideration.

Sure, it may be convenient on initial setup and dialing in of the sub(s), but after that, you shouldn't have to ever touch the settings on your sub(s) again. Once they are positioned and dialed in, there's absolutely no reason why you should be messing around with the settings, UNLESS you end up changing speakers or something else in the system that possibly upsets the performance/integration of the sub(s) to the main speakers.

I like to use the sub for both music and movies. So both really. The Rhythmik has the best price. JL audio is more expensive as is REL. Wondering if JL and REL are that much better than the Rhythmik. I was leaning toward JL Audio until i discoverd the Rythmik. Rythmik has a great price i think because they have very little overhead. its only sold direct to the consumer, I think. No advertising etc.

Also figuring I will go dual subs, so the price cant be really high on each. Id be willing to shell out no more than $4k for both.

If I didn't already have the JL subs, I would have gone with Rhythmic because of their performance and price.

SVS subs are great, but mainly just for movies. Except maybe the top couple of models, the rest of them are just too sluggish and heavy sounding for music. REL subs are great for both music and movies, but the prices are up there. Likewise with JL, though the prices for the lesser priced offerings like the e-series that I have offer more performance and bass extension than the REL's of similar price.

Rhythmik on the other hand offers stellar performance for both music and movies with their servo designs, and can be hand for excellent prices. They punch way above their price points.

If I didn't already have the JL subs, I would have gone with Rhythmic because of their performance and price.

SVS subs are great, but mainly just for movies. Except maybe the top couple of models, the rest of them are just too sluggish and heavy sounding for music. REL subs are great for both music and movies, but the prices are up there. Likewise with JL, though the prices for the lesser priced offerings like the e-series that I have offer more performance and bass extension than the REL's of similar price.

Rhythmik on the other hand offers stellar performance for both music and movies with their servo designs, and can be hand for excellent prices. They punch way above their price points.
Rhythmik looks like the intelligent winner for the reasons both of us have mentioned. Its kinda scary to buy a component without listening to it. Wish I could hear one.

Anyhow, for now my depth i is still working.

I gotta say, never looked at Rythmik before this thread, but I really like the detailed specs they show on their web site, and they have a very detailed FAQ as well.

I gotta say, never looked at Rythmik before this thread, but I really like the detailed specs they show on their web site, and they have a very detailed FAQ as well.
And if you read that review I posted, it sounds like the owner really gets involved with his customers and they have excellent customer service. On the web i think their site says to call them if you have trouble setting the sub up.

Small company with low overhead, low prices. Maybe companies like Martin Logan used to be more like that?

If you do not need a remote then the Rythmic is clearly what you are looking for. Fairly loud bass and very fast and tight. It is a slam dunk as two subs of that size cranked up should just about start damaging your house! I had a setup 25 years ago in a very large basement home theater room that lifted the drop ceiling panels during heavy bass scenes! Yes, that was extreme bass!

If you do not need a remote then the Rythmic is clearly what you are looking for. Fairly loud bass and very fast and tight. It is a slam dunk as two subs of that size cranked up should just about start damaging your house! I had a setup 25 years ago in a very large basement home theater room that lifted the drop ceiling panels during heavy bass scenes! Yes, that was extreme bass!
Seen some reviews on Youtube where the user knocked off his onwall speakers with the bass.

Seen some reviews on Youtube where the user knocked off his onwall speakers with the bass.
That's pretty silly but I guess some people would be impressed. I'd look at REL. Have a single T7i in a 25' X 30' room and it performs admirably. Please note I only use in my two channel system. Music Direct has the entire REL line and offers a 60 day money back gaurantee.

Another recommendation for REL. I picked up 4) REL HT/1508 Predators on Cyber Monday for the front of my 30’ x 17’ theatre. They are amazing paired with 2) Request Left channel front, 2) Request Right channel front, 2) Logos center channels (one above and one below the screen), SL 3’s in the rear, 4) Stylos flush mounted in the side walls & 4) Definitive Technology Atmos in the ceiling.

The REL’s have a punch that makes the movie soundtrack rock!! Perfect blend with ML’s.
19940A2A-8AA0-4ACE-8651-60B7C224111C.jpeg
4C4DB3EE-7F1E-4481-BB41-D28F12A1BDFF.jpeg
167E9595-CBB6-4EA0-835A-B6193E96BDCC.jpeg
3457CA9F-3C4D-4B9B-9D25-3A5452B343B2.jpeg
0BD9DB46-8B94-4547-8BF2-AA82C531CEB2.jpeg
7D3642E0-8947-4881-8CC9-6C2C9A118989.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone owned both ML and REL subs? It would be nice to hear how they compare. I would like to hear comparisons to rhythmik subs, but those don't seem very common on here.

Just watched Wonder Woman 1984 last night on HBO Max, first day it aired in US theaters and on HBO. It has a GREAT soundtrack. Its recorded in Dolby Atmos and Vision. Stunning color and sound. I streamed mine on a Amazon Fire Stick and got both formats. I was surprised Atmos came through. So it appears HBO Max is able to broadcast both formats. Neat getting a brand new movie in theaters at our home on the first day, and didn't have to pay extra. This may be the future of Cinema.

My ML depth sounded great on that movie.

Another recommendation for REL. I picked up 4) REL HT/1508 Predators on Cyber Monday for the front of my 30’ x 17’ theatre. They are amazing paired with 2) Request Left channel front, 2) Request Right channel front, 2) Logos center channels (one above and one below the screen), SL 3’s in the rear, 4) Stylos flush mounted in the side walls & 4) Definitive Technology Atmos in the ceiling.

The REL’s have a punch that makes the movie soundtrack rock!! Perfect blend with ML’s.View attachment 21217View attachment 21218View attachment 21219View attachment 21220View attachment 21222View attachment 21223
Wow! Your system looks amazing! I bet it sounds fantastic!

Wow! Your system looks amazing! I bet it sounds fantastic!
Thank you! This is the first time I placed all front and rear Krell amps, ML’s and REL subs completely out of sight to make a “clean theatre” without distraction. The “machine room” with the hardware is just behind the studs that hold the 144” Black Diamond Pro screen. Black grille cloth on frames fill the gap around the screen and the same for the rear R & L in the back of the theatre.
Thank you for your kind comments! The REL subs are a perfect compliment to the ML Requests. They are fast & extremely punchy.

Thank you! This is the first time I placed all front and rear Krell amps, ML’s and REL subs completely out of sight to make a “clean theatre” without distraction. The “machine room” with the hardware is just behind the studs that hold the 144” Black Diamond Pro screen. Black grille cloth on frames fill the gap around the screen and the same for the rear R & L in the back of the theatre.
Thank you for your kind comments! The REL subs are a perfect compliment to the ML Requests. They are fast & extremely punchy.
You don't have any problems with all of those subs shaking that wall and the screen, causing rattles? Did you have the wall built in a special way? Im also wondering about the suspension ceiling rattling. Seems like bass has a way of finding anything that is lose.

That theater looks great! I plan on doing something similar. Ive got a few more questions if you don't mind.

Some guys say that the 4k projectors with HDR still don't look as good as an OLED TV screen. What do you find? I've also read some say the perf screen require a compromise in image quality. Do you find that to be true?

Back