Looking at getting some Valve Amplifiers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HK-Steve

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of looking at getting some Valve Amplifers, to replace my Solid State ones.

Some background,
I use the system for Home Theater and Music.
The Amplifiers will power my Quest Speakers which are the Main Left and Right speakers in my system.
I Love my Music and Movies Loud ;)

I am looking for advice on questions I have, -
I have 200watt per Channel Rotel 991 amps now, how many watts do I need for a Valve amplifier?
How often you you need to replace Valves?
Are there any adjustments that need to be checked on a regular basis?
Is it wise to use valves on both the Bass driver and Stator?

I have seen a set of Audio Valve 30 Monos and Audio Valve 45 Monos, which I was looking at getting.

I am going to try to find these answers, but as they relate to ML's, you guy's are the ones to ask. :D

I appreciate any feedback
Cheers
Steve

I thought there were a thread or some threads here recently which covered that topic?

For me and my tastes, I am at Solid State now, and I tried out some Tube Amps, and could not find something that I like, so I have purchased another Solid State.

Each person has their own likes and tastes....So with that in mind, you really need to get out and audition them, then try to get them home. I liked one of the manufactures at the store, brought it home, and really did not like it. Tried both an 80watt and 150watt model compared to my 200 watt SS. For me, I will stick with my Tube Pre and Solid State Amp - and really look forward to my new Amp set to arrive in about two weeks.

Dan

Last edited:
I went from a 100 watt Rotel solid state to a 100 watt Golden Tube Audio SE-100 (used but not used up), and can say it's a true upgrade.

Getting (and maintaining) 200 watts of tube power can be expensive, but if it's a sound you like it will be worth it.

There are always hybrids................perhaps something from Blue Circle?

I think that sticking with 200 watts will guarranty improving the sound, or at least at higher volume levels not lessen it.

Home audition when possible (or course). However if you choose to "flip" equipment as part of your hobby/learning experience I was told to stay with main "blue chip" brands like Conrad Johnson (and a few others). This is because once they have devalued to a certain point on the used market, they don't go down in value anymore and you can always sell them quicky for what you paid for them (buying used/selling used).

Thanks Guy's,
I don't have the opertunity to test them at home before buying, as they are located in Germany.

I suppose I am really trying to work out if I can get my dream of Valve amps :D or stick with Solid State, which I already own, and are very happy with.

I have always liked the idea of Valves and the sound,
but is it really worth the problems, tuning etc, compared to Solid State.

Justy bouncing Ideas off your all before putting this out of my mind. :eek:

Cheers
Steve

HK-Steve said:
Thanks Guy's, I don't have the opertunity to test them at home before buying, as they are located in Germany.
Here is my experience to pass on - what it is worth? Probably less than .02 cents... :D

But with all the discussion here about Tube Amps and ML's, I had to go out and find out for myself what it was all about. I had to form my opinion about my tastes and go from there. Even though you cannot evaluate the Tube Amps you eventually want, I would think you could evaluate some other amps to get the feeling of Tubes on your setup. True...it will never be the exactly the same as the model you are looking for, but it may help you out.

I evaluated three different brands ($2k - $6k) - yeah not a heck of a lot, but they each had their own unique qualities. In the end, I just did not get the sound I was looking for.

I suppose I am really trying to work out if I can get my dream of Valve amps :D or stick with Solid State, which I already own, and are very happy with.
Hard to pass up on dreams. I know that becuase of my dreams, I have my CLSIIz's and the new Solid State amp rolling in soon. Both are priced so high brand new, that I could NEVER have afforded them. But luckily people need to upgrade or need cash, and they sell items used.

I have always liked the idea of Valves and the sound, but is it really worth the problems, tuning etc, compared to Solid State.
The more I talked with folks and got opinions, the maintenance of tube amps is not that great. Most of the amps I looked at, had 2-3 years of tube life at $80-$200 of tube cost - not that much over time.

There are folks here who are REALLY happy with their Tubes and ML's and their are some who are REALLY happy with Solid State and their ML's. I firmly believe that if you like the Solid State control, punch, dynamics, that a good Tube Pre Amp will really make the complete system shine. There are few of here on the site with this setup and we are really happy with our systems. That is the BOTTOM line - YOU are happy with YOUR system.

Dan

Latest posts

Back