Log scale on the processor volume

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mmulumudi

I need help to understand the relevance of log scale on the preamplifier volume control as it pertains to the performance of a speaker.

Does a speaker sound better at 0dB level than at say -20dB, since it is getting more power? (first, am I making the right assumption regarding the power and db)

On the practical side, is it better to set the speaker level low (0 or lower) and increase the volume setting on the preamp.
Is it safe to assume that the speakers are getting more power at higher volume setting and hence perform better.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
mmulumudi said:
I need help to understand the relevance of log scale on the preamplifier volume control as it pertains to the performance of a speaker.

Does a speaker sound better at 0dB level than at say -20dB, since it is getting more power? (first, am I making the right assumption regarding the power and db)

On the practical side, is it better to set the speaker level low (0 or lower) and increase the volume setting on the preamp.
Is it safe to assume that the speakers are getting more power at higher volume setting and hence perform better.
Thanks in advance.
Hola. As far as I understand, all depends on the quality of your components. Some preamps have more THD (total harmonic distortion) at very low level, and start to have less as the level increase, until you can reach up to saturation level, where the circuit is out of range. Same thing with the amplifiers. Some have very high distortion at low level, and start to work better as you increase the input level. On the other hand, high-end goods have very low distortion at any level, until you reach the point of design. Here is where you have to read the specifications of the goods. These are a guide to let you know how to use them and also the working voltages at the input circuit and the output circuit. Between this range, you won't hear a big difference in levels. This means, bringing your preamp up to a point where sound best, and your amplifier, with input volume controls, to adjust the level that you want. All electronic designs have a best performance set. You have to use a THD tester to find which level is the less distortion and always operate it at that precise level. Also the specs lets you know the max distortion at any level. Here is where I always say: Trust your ears. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Robeto. :D

Latest posts

Back