Live Music versus our Systems

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
There is a nice post over at the Asylum on Live Music versus our own systems. I agree with the original post on some of the differences with Live versus our systems. For my system, while I would love to have it sound comparable to live music (of course in the venue of my choice), I realize I may get close at times, but overall it will never have the total live experience. Anyways, here is the link to the post:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/93343.html

As with a post by Steve D., we all compose/build our systems to our likings and preferences. In my case I am looking for that small Jazz Club type setting, where you are sitting close to the group, but the room still has great acoustics. But I also like to listen to Classical, in Large Hall type setting on SACD Multichannel (I really like how the center channel enhances the placement of instruments across the orchestra). Getting out to hear the National Symphony Orchestra at a Music Hall is eye and ear opening to put it mildly. The presence and power of an orchestra like this is just phenomenal and this weekend I will have another chance to hear the NSO at Strathmore (great acoustics) play Hayden #88, Salieri Piano #1, and Mozart #41 - but this time I will be on the Orchestra Level instead of the Promenade Level.

While getting out to hear live music is a great experience, having our fine ML systems at home, to just sit and enjoy the music.

Dan

The Audio Search to Reproduce "Live" Sound

Very interesting article, Dan thanks for sharing. :) You are soooo lucky being able to have such wonderful seats and going to hear the NSO... :p I think, IMHO what probably comes closest to "live" for me is the blending of SS and tube gear. I only heard a combo set-up at the Audioscape store I visited, They had a Linn amp hooked-up with an Audio Research pre-amp. The system had some of the timber and clarity, I had imagined a combo system could produce. Don't get me wrong it wasn't any where near live. Personally, I don't think currently we possess the technology to reproduce live music. Maybe some day in the future. For now it is much easier to attend a wonderful concert and take it all in, wonderful beautiful live music is great to experience. ;)

Back