limitations of scripts

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
hi,

i was watching Goldeneye last night and noticed that in some of the louder sections, the right script seems to break up a bit, particularily explosions or jet engines. i wasn't playing things particularily loudly, but the DTS version of goldeneye is supposedly a pretty challenging soundtrack.

has any run into an upper SPL limit of their scripts?

zaphod said:
hi,

i was watching Goldeneye last night and noticed that in some of the louder sections, the right script seems to break up a bit, particularily explosions or jet engines. i wasn't playing things particularily loudly, but the DTS version of goldeneye is supposedly a pretty challenging soundtrack.

has any run into an upper SPL limit of their scripts?
Hola Zaphod. IMHO, I think that it's your amp clipping. try to swap them and listen again if you have have the same problem. The distortion is from the woofer or the stat panel? Too much low info to them could saturate the woofer. Hope this can help!! Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Zip3kx07 said:
Never had a problem with Golden Eye and my scripts. When was the last time you vacuumed them?

never. hmmm. and i just got a new vacuum too (partner got the existing one when she moved out in november).

just so we are comparing apples to apples, you have the DTS version of Goldeneye? is there another laserdisc fan in this forum? :eek:

zaphod said:
never. hmmm. and i just got a new vacuum too (partner got the existing one when she moved out in november).

just so we are comparing apples to apples, you have the DTS version of Goldeneye? is there another laserdisc fan in this forum? :eek:

My copy of Golden Eye does not have a DTS track. It is the original 1997 DVD release, before MGM double dipped and added a DTS track.

I should add that I powered my scripts with an Okyno TX-DS787 receiver, a B&K 125.5 amp, and the Sunfire 200X5 with no problems or clipping. The scripts seem to be Farley easy to drive unlike the Ascents, that my Onkyo could barley handle.

roberto said:
Hola Zaphod. IMHO, I think that it's your amp clipping. try to swap them and listen again if you have have the same problem. The distortion is from the woofer or the stat panel? Too much low info to them could saturate the woofer. Hope this can help!! Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

yeah, i wondered about that but refuse to accept it. sigh. i'm pretty darn stubborn.

i have a higher powered version of the same amp i can swap in. but it's in regular use and i'd rather not get rid of it there.

although.... it's driving the center... there are less "booms" such from the center. i used to live quite happily with the smaller amp driving the center. hmmm. i could swap them about...

hmmm. maybe it's time not to be so stubborn... :rolleyes:

zaphod said:
yeah, i wondered about that but refuse to accept it. sigh. i'm pretty darn stubborn.

i have a higher powered version of the same amp i can swap in. but it's in regular use and i'd rather not get rid of it there.

although.... it's driving the center... there are less "booms" such from the center. i used to live quite happily with the smaller amp driving the center. hmmm. i could swap them about...

hmmm. maybe it's time not to be so stubborn... :rolleyes:

just wondering...if you drop the level just a little bit...do you have the same problem? This is because sometimes only 1 dB in output stage means to drop the power a lot, and our ears hardly detect it...perhaps this might helps too...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Zip3kx07 said:
My copy of Golden Eye does not have a DTS track. It is the original 1997 DVD release, before MGM double dipped and added a DTS track.

they never put DTS onto dvd. grrr. add it to the long list of movies that have been released "better" on LD. (the shadow, dark city, harvey, blade runner, roger rabbit, george of the jungle, ET, robinson crusoe on mars, star wars ... )

in each case either the widescreen is only on LD, or the aspect was "fixed", or the movie was altered, or the soundtrack is inferior, or it hasn't been put out on dvd, or , or , or

darn. i'm ranting. again. sorry.

roberto said:
just wondering...if you drop the level just a little bit...do you have the same problem? This is because sometimes only 1 dB in output stage means to drop the power a lot, and our ears hardly detect it...perhaps this might helps too...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

it's a thought. but i wasn't listening too loudly (mom? you there? i promise i wasn't)

DTS goldeneye is supposed to be a workout. i'm going to try the superbit Air Force One and also "SuperSpeedway" which is also supposed to be a work out.

sigh.

zaphod said:
it's a thought. but i wasn't listening too loudly (mom? you there? i promise i wasn't)

DTS goldeneye is supposed to be a workout. i'm going to try the superbit Air Force One and also "SuperSpeedway" which is also supposed to be a work out.

sigh.
The force be with you!!! (lol) you are too much Zaphod..remember that the amplifier reads the voltage arithmetically and our ears logarithmitically...(please forgive my spelling). In other words, due to the other channels are working fine, and only with this script you heard the problem, perhpas swaping or bringing the level just a little bit less, you don't saturate the output stage of the amp...(againg, I'm just guessing)...enjoy Zaphod...happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Super Speedway - yeah, nothing works out a right surround like this dvd! Go directly to the scene where they test the new car.

Back