Lightning Sound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Slow day at work, so I was bouncing around web sites. I came across these speakers that look interesting. http://www.lightningsound.net/index.html

Anyone heard of these?

I'm not familiar with the the various technologies out there, but this guy seems pretty confident that his speakers will hold their own against most anything below $10k. I wonder how these would compare to a full range stat such as the CLS?

Of course, if I was trying to sell something like this, I would try to come across pretty confident as well.

Steve

lugano said:
The guy claims this about his LS: "7 ohms purely resistive impedence across the entire frequency range".

and then recommends a high current amp ..... hmmm.

Kevin

Sounds like the speakers work exactly like the original Magnepans with a fixed magnet array and wires on the membrane. I wonder if the trapezoidal shape is just a way to try and get arround any possible patents that Magnepan might have on the technology.

I say get a pair of Magnepan 3.6's with a pure ribbon tweeter if you are intersted in that type of transducer.

The reason for the high current amplifier is that just like Maggies, there is a large surface area that has to be driven by the signal, so even though (like Magnepan's resistive 6 Ohm load) they are not capacitive, they are not terribly efficient and need to be juiced to sound good.

Chuck

Previously owned MGI, and SMGc. Good speakers, but not as transparent in the midrange as my Aerius's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back