Lighting / illumination behind stator panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmort

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few images of folks with some creative lighting behind their panels.
What are folks doing for this and how’s it working out?

I've tried a couple different things from small tabletop torchiere lamps to LED puck lights. I didn't like the looks of anything I tried that illuminated from behind the panel. I ended up installing some ceiling track lighting in front of where the speakers sit and getting color selectable/dimmable LED smart bulbs for the fixtures. I have them aimed so they sort of wash over the panels diagonally from top to bottom. When I'm listening to music, I like to dim the rest of the room and just have the track lights shining softly on the panels.

I use phillips hue light bars, they react to the music using the sync box with them. Is a cool experience add for listening.

Definitely the go-to here is the Philips Hue product line. Anything from a simple Bloom doing a color wash on the walls behind the speakers, to a Signe lamp doing a fancy color dance onto the wall, or better, inside a vertical cloth (stretch weave) cylinder placed behind the speaker.
Something like this, but with a cylindrical shade. Strip out the bulb fixture, and replace it with a Hue light-strip.

I found that using white felt was a very good diffuser, so if you have some decorative open mesh / cutout thing, and want to light it from behind with a difussed 'glow', that sowing felt is the answer. More discussion and examples in this thread: Room treatments – part 2

I ended up installing some ceiling track lighting in front of where the speakers sit and getting color selectable/dimmable LED smart bulbs for the fixtures. I have them aimed so they sort of wash over the panels diagonally from top to bottom
Same here, I loaded up my track system with 16 cans with Hue lights, including some barn-door cans to frame the Monoliths without excess light hitting the screen.

I have multiple presets I use to listen to music, show off the room or go all white and bright for cleaning days.

View of the tracks:
CeilingShot.jpeg

And 3 Qtr. view from the vantage of the Right Monolith
The 3D diffuser in the center rear wall is illuminated from below by a Hue Bloom and above by the two rear-most cans on the tracks.

HT Front3qtr view 2020.jpeg

@JonFo Dang that's purdy! (y) Always in awe of your setup. Incredible! I think you may have written about it in a different thread previously, but can you tell me more about the purple glowing panel between the two other panels? That looks super cool. Is it just decorative, or is it also serving a purpose, like diffusion?

And now I want to add more tracks down the length of my room like you have...

Hello, new guy here, but noted this topic. Just took this today for you. LED up cans on the floor behind a Classic 9. Remote controls for all the usual parameters. You can see lots more over in the 'show your system' section Enjoy!

Attachments

• Light Behind Classic 9.JPG
    Light Behind Classic 9.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
I think you may have written about it in a different thread previously, but can you tell me more about the purple glowing panel between the two other panels? That looks super cool. Is it just decorative, or is it also serving a purpose, like diffusion?
Yeah, lots more details in that thread I linked to previously: https://www.martinloganowners.com/threads/room-treatments-–-part-2.6931/

It is primarily decorative, but it is functionally both an absorber, a 4" thick OC703 'panel' on either side of the light tube, and a 2D high-frequency diffusor, as the curved stator does cause some energy to diffuse across the curved and dimpled surface.

I have the drivers from an ML Motion 60i speaker pair that I intend to build an enclosure for that will go behind the large stator panels aimed at the MLP to implement my 'wide' channel speakers.
The visual effects will have to be redone when I do that, as I'll be using an open-weave stretch speaker cloth behind the stator to hide the driver elements and act as a light diffuser for an updated lighting system.

An LED strip on the back of the stat frame would probably be effective. I haven't bothered though. I listen with my eyes closed.

Interestingly, the newest Masterpiece line from 11A's on up, have built in LED lighting at the bottom front of the woofer cabinet, aimed at the floor. It would have been a LOT more functional if the lighting was fully dimmable (vs. high, low, off) and located behind the stat panel so the panel is illuminated, instead of the floor. Perhaps the next "Masterpiece X" iteration (with another major price increase ;) ) will offer that!

Govee RGBIC Standing Lamp, Smart Floor Lamp Works with Alexa, LED Corner Lamp with Music Sync and 16 Million DIY Colors, Modern Color Changing Floor Lamps for Living Room Bedroom Gaming Room https://a.co/d/bTUshwT

I bought a fairly inexpensive fixture on Amazon, looking pretty trick!
Govee RGBIC Standing Lamp, Smart Floor Lamp Works with Alexa, LED Corner Lamp with Music Sync and 16 Million DIY Colors, Modern Color Changing Floor Lamps for Living Room Bedroom Gaming Room https://a.co/d/bTUshwT
Pretty cool lighting modes/effects and smart features as well. Does it react to other sounds too aside from music?

Yes it reacts to any sound (if on that setting). Clap your hands, say something….it’s pretty cool. Runs off an easy to use app, many variations.
I’ll likely buy another to put against the wall behind my right panel, in the app it appears you can link fixtures.

Yes it reacts to any sound (if on that setting). Clap your hands, say something….it’s pretty cool. Runs off an easy to use app, many variations.
I’ll likely buy another to put against the wall behind my right panel, in the app it appears you can link fixtures.
Cool! So, they can be linked and synchronized remotely?

I just ordered a second one, I’ll let you know how well they coordinate.
I moved the one I have to the other side to see how it’d look… see video.

Attachments

• 68254118372__DA2BBC7A-DAC2-4572-BE93-884F21554E7B.MOV
    990.1 KB
I just ordered a second one, I’ll let you know how well they coordinate.
I moved the one I have to the other side to see how it’d look… see video.
Thanks. Looks really cool like it's dancing gracefully to the music. Must the phone app be active as well when the fixture is used?

Back