Less than stellar commentary about Summits on Sonic Flare Blog

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
I've been reading commentary by Josh Ray, author of the Sonic Flare Blog, focusing (mainly) on high-end audio news. Unfortunately, his latest commentary, which describes a listening session at a Magnolia store, includes his negative opinion about the Summits, AS SET UP IN THE DEMO ROOM.

"Combine 10" drivers firing in two different directions and you have one wild set of variables to deal with.

So what did it sound like? Like five different speakers playing at once. At some points, I thought "wow, that sounds amazing!" And at others, well, it was just bad. Combined, the sound was bizarre with so many different tonal qualities being presented simultaneously."

I've already posted an "informative" comment about how wonderful ML's can be when properly set up. Perhaps some actual Summit owner(s) would like to add their $0.02 there...

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/adventures-in-magnolia-av.php

Last edited:
sleepysurf said:
I've been reading commentary by Josh Ray, author of the Sonic Flare Blog, focusing (mainly) on high-end audio news. Unfortunately, his latest commentary, which describes a listening session at a Magnolia store, includes his negative opinion about the Summits, AS SET UP IN THE DEMO ROOM.

"Combine 10" drivers firing in two different directions and you have one wild set of variables to deal with.

So what did it sound like? Like five different speakers playing at once. At some points, I thought "wow, that sounds amazing!" And at others, well, it was just bad. Combined, the sound was bizarre with so many different tonal qualities being presented simultaneously."

I've already posted an "informative" comment about how wonderful ML's can be when properly set up. Perhaps some actual Summit owner(s) would like to add their $0.02 there...

http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/adventures-in-magnolia-av.php
Hola...two things can happen when you listen to opera music...you fall in love with it or because you don´t understand it, you hate it!!! almost the same thing happens with the Summits, to my ears, one of the best products that ML have ever made. They have dynamics like a cone, and the benefits of the transparency of the electrostatic panel, and can play loud, very loud!!! so rock is great through them, and the bass could be as big as you like in your room, you can fill every inch of the room with astonishing bass energy. Also, with their bass control, you can almost tune any room, due to the great idea of having +-10 dBs at 25Hz and 50Hz, so you can adjust for best bass response of your room. Their sensitivity is 92dBs, so you can use small power amplifiers to drive them with enough SPL and the benefits of their high quality sound. In other words, my dream!...try them, you might like them as many of us do. Happy listening,
Roberto.

The Summits are a right pain to set up. If the store hasn't got it right, I reckon the Vantages would sound better to the uninitiated.

But set up right, I have to say the Summits are absolutely awe inspiring. Mine are still running in. But I've now matched them with an Audio Research LS 25 MkII and a Classe Model Twenty Five power amp. I traded my old Tact integrated on the new amplification. The new amps have totally changed the sound for the better - dynamics and clarity have gone to a new level.

I now have everything running via balanced cables - from my CEC Belt Drive CD Player to the ARC preamp then on to the poweramp. I'm not a cable freak, but operating entirely in balanced mode seems to pay dividends in clarity and lack of noise and hash.

I'l post some pics later on the forum once I tidy everything up.

So in answer to less than stellar commentary about Summits, all I can say is is the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the food I'm tasting is just fine, thankyou. :)

Last edited:
Edwin, Glad to hear good things with your pre-amp / amp set up ! enjoy the music !

Sleepysurf, After reading the article in the Sonic Flare its seems to me that Josh is trying to make more of a negative comment towards Best Buy / Magnolia. His comment about "anal" speaker placement / set-up is know by all of us in the di-pole community so I take that with a grain of salt as well. With regards to the person who dropped the big $$$ on the Summitt's and when home, stuck them in the corner, heck thats not Magnolia's fault, anybody that stupid deserves what they get, and don't say it's not masculine to read the instructions first !!

Back