Laser Printers....Thoughts ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you intend to do photo quality printing on good glossy papers, then you need an inkjet photo printer..... but if you either do LOTS of printing.... or very little, occasional printing... then laser is better. The worst thing for an inkjet printer is to sit unused for a month. The ink sits in the lines and nozzles and gets thick, and then clogs. I've been through several 13" wide photo quality printers, only to throw them away because I often go 2-3 months without printing anything. A Laser printer's toner is a dry powder.... it can sit unused for years, nothing happens. It will power right up and work no problem. For home office, or school stuff for kids, or if you just barely need a printer at all, then laser is the way to go.

Seems most printers ar
If you intend to do photo quality printing on good glossy papers, then you need an inkjet photo printer..... but if you either do LOTS of printing.... or very little, occasional printing... then laser is better. The worst thing for an inkjet printer is to sit unused for a month. The ink sits in the lines and nozzles and gets thick, and then clogs. I've been through several 13" wide photo quality printers, only to throw them away because I often go 2-3 months without printing anything. A Laser printer's toner is a dry powder.... it can sit unused for years, nothing happens. It will power right up and work no problem. For home office, or school stuff for kids, or if you just barely need a printer at all, then laser is the way to go.
Good point on the photos. The high school here uses big ink jet printers for the photography classes. Certainly produce the best photos.

Thanks all, yeah I'm leaning towards the Brother Laser, stopped at Best Buy last week, none in stock. I'll check out Staples this week

I find ink-jet printers are sold like razors...the company virtually gives the razors away, because they make the real money on the blades. They just about give the printers away, because they make the real money on the ink. I use lasers for all my printing, I have both a monochrome and color. I've tried several brands but keep coming back to HP, they seem to work the best with fewest problems for me. I find the cheap toner woks just as well as the pricey OEM stuff.

Thanks Peter, I still haven't made a purchase. It's amazing in my area nobody seems to have anything in stock. I guess with COVID, home schooling / working has created a high demand

Some manufacturers let you order direct from them. I just ordered a Samsung HEPA air cleaner and saved $150 and got free shipping.

well after nursing my old HP8600 ink jet along it finally gave up the ghost last week. I took a chance on a Canon ImageClass MF236n, Staples had it on sale for $134, they also price matched a second toner cartridge for $67 so I should be set for awhile !

So far so good, far superior to my old ink jet.

Back