Laptops, Notebooks and Powerbooks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a portable computer for several reasons.

Main purpose:
Would be using it for e-mails, and playing/watching some videos on the Internet. Have a fast wireless link at work, DSL at home.

Advantages:
1. Would get current PC's which are on the old and vulnerable MS Windows 98 SE operating system (networked work computers) unhooked from the Internet.

2. Would not have to fight for the PC at home, could have something to during TV commercials or while listening to the stereo.

Conditions:
Used and refurbished are options because I'd only do this if cost were at or under $1,000 and the screen is larger than 12 inches (14"- 15"). Would have to be able to burn CD's, playing DVD's would be nice, but not required.

Options:
Mac/Apple may be considered, but I will have to transfer files back and forth - and be able to hook up to the networked computers at work. Is a USB connection going to work?

Future uses:
I don't think I will be using a portable computer to present to clients with - no projectors, no animations. I don't foresee working large AutoCad files on it either.

History:
I've never owned a laptop/notebook before - have lived just fine without one. Also not necessarily interested in using this as a back-up drive for work project files, but could be (I guess if I spent enough money).

Related background thread below:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1682

Suggestions?

Bad idea or good idea?

Where to buy?

What to look for?

I'm probably biased, but I say get a PowerBook G4 or the new Intel PowerMac.

Lets see:

I have no problem working back and forth between a PC. If it were a problem it would surely be a nail in Apple's coffin since 93 percent of the world uses Microsoft Windows.

Music storage is awesome, and super easy. Burning capabilities and the different formats to choose from are quite nice. There's a large underground community constantly developing enhancements for every conceivable use.

So far, Macs are virus free. One less headache.

I too deal with some heavy graphic applications. 2gb of ram and I'm still able to render images rather quickly from a laptop.

If you still have a college to reference. Apple honors a discount via their online ordering form.

Mac's are damn sexy, and the back lit keyboard is wonderful when it's dark in your room.

The OS is wonderful because you simply drag and drop. No more open new file windows.

I could go on and on. Hopefully some of these other Mac users will chime in.

Keep us posted....

Last edited:
Yeah just use a USB stick to transfer files back and forth. Or if you want, you could install Bonjour for Windows and you can see the Apple computer on the network.

I'd suggest looking at used maybe. You can find some nice Centrino based PCs with CD-RW/DVD-ROM at under $1,000 easy. The iBooks are also under $1,000 brand new and they come in 14" in screen size.

I personally love my Apple. I also have a Dell laptop but... I actually don't use it. If you want I'll send you the specs and see if you want to buy it haha.

The reason I like the Mac OS X operating system is because the ease to use, everything's integrated and it's rescuable if it crashes, if ever. In addition, there are no viruses and spamware for the operating system. Overall the quality is just better IMHO. Plus from what you need to use it for, anything's sufficient and there'd be no compatibility issue whatsoever anyway. I'd say go for it.

Let me know.

SugarMedia said:
I'm probably biased, but I say get a PowerBook G4 or the new Intel PowerMac.

Haha you beat me to the praise of Macs. Anyways, he specified under $1,000... Can't get the new MacBook Pro, and it'd be hard to get a PowerBook G4 15"... The 12" maybe...

Yang1815 said:
Haha you beat me to the praise of Macs. Anyways, he specified under $1,000... Can't get the new MacBook Pro, and it'd be hard to get a PowerBook G4 15"... The 12" maybe...

Yang, these are just like ML speakers. We all set a budget but when we start shopping the wallet opens up.

Attachments

• pb15.jpg
    pb15.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 116
I'll throw in my two cents. I am a road warrior as I travel almost every week. In and out of airplanes so weight became a factor quickly. I currently have an IBM T42p, Harvard edition. Meaning it was only available to Harvard Alums and faculty from IBM. I do PowerPoint presentations and clients don't always have an LCD Projector available so screen size is 17 inches. No problem for presenting to 1/2 people but anything larger, you need the projector. Normally if there is going to be a presentation, this is discussed before hand. Previous to this I have had Gateway, HP, Sony Viao, and 3 Dells. The Viao was great because it was so thin and light but you gave a lot up for size. So far, I have been most satisfied with the IBM overall. I think it was two weeks after I got it that IBM announced the sale to the Chinese of their laptop line. I can tell you that it has been the most reliable one so far. I can't tell you how much time I spent on the help line with Dell speaking to someone who I couldn't understand half of what they told me. That was not fun but my company likes them because they are easy to fix. That is, if your an IT guy which I am not. The IBM was by far the most expensive as there were some upturned eyebrows when I turned that expense in. I just figured it was easier to ask for forgiveness then permission. Good luck in your quest!

FYI:
I posted this same question on a car forum I go to. many people there also said Mac's are the best.

Thanks for all the input - like the power stick idea too. :)

I think the biggest misconception about Mac's is that so many people think they are only for the design industry. I gtd once you use one, you'll NEVER go back to Windows.

So please lets us know what you end up getting.

SugarMedia said:
So please lets us know what you end up getting.
I'm just planning ahead, right now my wife has to get another job. Our two income household is the only way I'll be able to swing this - safety net is gone.

I was just going to say consider Sony, IBM or Toshiba if you're going to get a PC but I guess that's not needed.

My Dell just kind of randomly freezes for a second... I have no clue why... Heat problem anyone?

I'm in the market for a laptop but was wondering if the Microsoft Office files such as "Word" and Powerpoint are compatible with the Mac's OS? That's going to be the main issue.

SLEEPYSURF - Is there software for the MAC that talks to the Squeebox 3?

Rumor has it that Apple is going to release a new iBook for $999 based on the Intel Duo-Core tech, allegedly with a 13" screen. It is a fact that they are doing some product(s) announcement next week - it's educated speculation as to what though. I have an older iBook that I like alot. iBooks generally come preloaded with stuff like Quicken, iTunes, built-in wireless, etc., so you get more than a bare box. Keep that in mind if you start comparing laptops (Apples to oran.. uh PCs). The current base PowerPC G4 iBook starts at $999, so the above price is a reasonable guess.

Re: Macs and Word docs. Microsoft Office is available for Mac OS X. I have both that and Windows XP versions. I've not noted any compatibility issues, but I also avoid documents with embedded active elements like macros. Excel is also seamless between the two. I've been working on an MBA, and one course required Excel add-ons that were only available for Windows, thus I had to buy yet another copy of Office for that platform.

As a cheap alternative, OpenOffice (free) is mostly compatible with Word/Office. The main issues tend to be around fonts available on Windows that don't have a corollary on the Mac.

SteveInNC said:
Re: Macs and Word docs. Microsoft Office is available for Mac OS X. I have both that and Windows XP versions. I've not noted any compatibility issues

The only problem you might have is font-related. You might get docs originated on windows, using fonts you don't have on the Mac. The font metrics might as well differ slightly, and you'll discover that a 1-page letter written in Garamond on the PC will become a 2-page letter on the Mac, even if you do have Garamond. The first problem is relatively easy to solve, because OS X was designated to accept Windows fonts as well - you'll only to copy them over. Oh yes, inserted graphics... in some cases, on the PC, Microsoft Word will not embed the graphic into the document but only a link to it. Once on the mac, you see the link, not the image. The obvious solution is to actually paste the graphic instead of using the "insert image" command. But all these are minor issues. Further reading: the excellent site at this address: http://www.macwindows.com/

A Martin Logan user deserves a Mac, no doubt about it. (TM) :)

Back