Krell Sold???!!!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
There is a post on Avguide.com that Krell has been sold to private equity firm (what profit did they see in Krell?) and that D Agastino has been let go...........Shocking if true.

There is a post on Avguide.com that Krell has been sold to private equity firm (what profit did they see in Krell?) and that D Agastino has been let go...........Shocking if true.

Krell has been alluding to this from rumors I heard. Bret D was let go a while back as well as a few important individuals. Dan and Rondi still had ownership, but being divorced sure didn't help that !

Im sure Krell will go to the way side of the Madrigal Levinson equipment as Dan no longer will be the the engineering power. Krell was done IMHO after the Master Reference series and demise of Krell Digital. I still stand my ground and say the KPS25SC is one world class unit. Like all American companies, They are being ran out of the ability to compete with the Cheap mass market.

We 2 channel guys are a dying breed. :(

Been hearing this for a very long time. Yet every time I look around, the 2-channel equipment available has significantly improved in performance, quality and price, and the shear number of choices hasn't waned at all. This has got to be driven by market demand. There is just so much 2-channel software, that this impending death isn't near yet. I even see new companies (in China) start producing "ultimate performance" brand new tubes... Do you disagree?

Like all American companies, They are being ran out of the ability to compete with the Cheap mass market.

Such is the way of the world. Developing economies will always have lower costs of production than an established power house. The problem I see is that companies like Krell and Levinson price themselves out of a competitive position and of course their market percentage is always decreasing.

Like all American companies, They are being ran out of the ability to compete with the Cheap mass market.

:confused: WTF? Krell has never had to compete with the "cheap mass market." You think someone might consider buying a Krell, but then decide the Sony integrated receiver is a much better deal at $300 vs. $30,000 for the Krell? They serve two totally different markets. If Krell is going out of business, it is more likely because they can't compete with the plethora of quality products at reasonable prices that abound in the current high end market.

But to try to suggest that cheap imports were the ruin of this extremely high end company is just ridiculous. They have continued to price themselves out of the available high end market for about the past decade, and that, along with increased competition at the high end, I would expect is why they are going out of business.

I agree with this as well. I will further say that after some brief investigation as I at one time considered buying some of their equipment I found them to be argent and aloof two qualities I do not like they would not even return my phone calls when I had a few product questions :mad: when Martin Logan, McIntosh and VPI as well as other companies where always more than willing to spend time on the phone with me no matter how trivial the question or conversation may have been to them.so perhaps this is a large problem for them as well.

Could it be that because of the alleged divorce they needed to sell the company and split the proceeds?

:confused: WTF? Krell has never had to compete with the "cheap mass market." You think someone might consider buying a Krell, but then decide the Sony integrated receiver is a much better deal at $300 vs. $30,000 for the Krell? They serve two totally different markets. If Krell is going out of business, it is more likely because they can't compete with the plethora of quality products at reasonable prices that abound in the current high end market.

But to try to suggest that cheap imports were the ruin of this extremely high end company is just ridiculous. They have continued to price themselves out of the available high end market for about the past decade, and that, along with increased competition at the high end, I would expect is why they are going out of business.

Way to sum sum it all up. Might just as well close this thread as this is the gospel according to RICH ! :duh:

Well, I didn't get what you were trying to say either C.A.P - maybe you can elaborate and help us both understand.

Krell has been alluding to this from rumors I heard. Bret D was let go a while back as well as a few important individuals. Dan and Rondi still had ownership, but being divorced sure didn't help that !
The way I had heard it two or three months ago, Dan, Rondi, and Bret all were thrown out at the same time by the landlord, who presumably was owed back rent.

(snip)
They are being ran out of the ability to compete with the Cheap mass market.
If they were forced to do that they were doomed. They either have to deliver the quality or perish.

I've been hearing the Chicken Little stories for a long time. Be careful what you wish for.

Its apparent where many stand with Krell. Sad as it is its an AMERICAN company that employed AMERICANS. Some I knew personally. Holding Companies do not run business , they turn them over first chance they can make a $$$.. and let the legal deportment sort it out.

Sorry Mass market did not compete with Krell but buying power of them sure did !

Many never heard Krell but bitch about it as they were actually bitching about the price. Remember shop wisely and shop well. Krell was and is one of the first amplifiers to really conquer the low impedance loads we see with ML. The Appogee Krell relationship was close. Ever wonder why ? Can you say 1 ohm. Who built that power and in class A . Sorry for those who doubt but have never heard Krell done "RIGHT"...

Look what happened to Mark Levinson., He lost his name. Bob Carver. All the while watching their name go down the tubes with Poor Quality. Krell will not be what it once was. NO DAN , NO KRELL of old. May be Krell that is much cheaper and readily available but at a extreme sacrifice. QUALITY and sound.

Many Dan D Agostino designs will go way side. Any way you look at it its a end to and era of Extreme HIGH end from them. Holding Companies want to make $$$ and that is catering to the masses. Next thing you know we will see Krell in a Honda car :eek:

Have a little faith, Chris. Krell's following in the high-end marketplace is big enough that the new owners would be wise to stay with the likes of previous offerings. Or at least, we would hope.
It will be interesting to see how well they treat older customers as far as service/repairs. My own KPS25s is due for a tuneup, and in fact I had just dug out the box in anticipation of sending it in after the holidays. I was not aware of the supposed changes at Krell :confused:

Tj

Way to sum sum it all up. Might just as well close this thread as this is the gospel according to RICH ! :duh:

I'm not preaching gospel, CAP. I'm just trying to understand what you are saying and offering my own contrary opinion. Honestly, it would be easier to engage in these types of discussions if you would write in a way that people could understand what you are trying to say. Example:

Sorry Mass market did not compete with Krell but buying power of them sure did !

What does that mean? Really, I have no idea what you are trying to say with that statement.

Many never heard Krell but bitch about it as they were actually bitching about the price.

Don't know what you are referring to here. Personally, I have heard lots of Krell gear, some of which I thought was incredible, some of which I wasn't so impressed with. But I do believe that Krell has continued to price themselves out of the available market, regardless of the quality of their components. There is just too much competition in the marketplace right now with lots of very high quality gear selling for more reasonable prices. And during tough economic times like this, market share at the high end is shrinking even more.

Any way you look at it its a end to and era of Extreme HIGH end from them.

I actually agree with you there. It is the end of an era at Krell with D'Agostino gone. But it doesn't necessarily mean the doom and gloom you are predicting. What about Martin Logan? Since Gayle left and they got bought by a holding company, they have continued to push the high end with designs like the Summit, Spire, CLX, etc., even while trying to compete in the cheaper mass market with their design series. And they didn't get sold off at the first opportunity either.

You may be correct and they will run Krell into the ground. But at this point, it is all just idle speculation.

I actually agree with you there. It is the end of an era at Krell with D'Agostino gone. But it doesn't necessarily mean the doom and gloom you are predicting. What about Martin Logan? Since Gayle left and they got bought by a holding company, they have continued to push the high end with designs like the Summit, Spire, CLX, etc., even while trying to compete in the cheaper mass market with their design series. And they didn't get sold off at the first opportunity either.

dam right they offer something for everybody now and the new HI end products smoke the old such as the CLX to the CLS. to bad Krell could not "evolve" the way Logan has maybe the old guard was just tired and crispy ?
perhaps their is a new Krell on its way ???

Last edited:
Back