Krell Class A iBias Experiences

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just realized that while I did make an amp 'demo' decision, I never posted an update to this thread. :rolleyes:

In a nutshell... I am bringing in a pair of Bricasti M32 mono blocks on demo from Shawn@DaVinci. As compared with Pass Labs, they are relatively available (being built currently), and according to a couple of Bricasti owners I've spoken with (including our own GW1800) they run only 'slightly warm to the touch' (as compared to my current Para JC-1's that are running around 126-128 F at idle).

Bricasti M32.jpeg

Soooo... the plan is to give them a good evaluation next to my JC-1's and if there is something that I just don't think is working for me, I will ship them up to Shawn, and I'll likely get on the long Pass Labs waiting list... (y)

Thank you for the update. I look forward to studying your review of the Bricasti M32 mono blocks compared with your Parasound JC-1's!

Thought it about time for an update to this thread, as I've finally got amps in the house! A gorgeous pair of Pass XA160.8!!!!

While Pass was always on my short list, I flipped on my original decision to bring Bricasti in first. While they were building demo amps, all that waiting allowed me to reconsider. Finally, I decided to check with Mark@Reno HiFi on a pair of the XA160.8, and I was fully prepared to get confirmation that they were sold out and there was a twelve month waiting list. Hearing that, I likely would have just forgotten about them, and waited for the M32's. Anyway, I checked their website, and sure enough, sold out with a waiting list. I figured I'd just just wait for the Bricasti's to get here and be done with it.

However, the more I thought about it, I thought I would at least go ahead and send Mark an email to check on how long the waiting list actually was... :unsure: Much to my surprise, I got a response the next morning letting me know that they had sold two pair the week before, but they checked their warehouse and found a pair of brand new XA160.8's (now that I have moved these into my house and have real world experience with how big and heavy these are, I'm not quite sure how someone can 'misplace' a pair of these, but my gain :LOL:). That started a conversation that led to a sale a couple days later.

IMG_0671.jpg

The photo is just to prove that after talking about it and going back and forth for years, I finally pulled the trigger! Obviously, this is not their final resting place, just a temporary parking place for a couple of reasons. First, I've got some electictrical work to have done, which is why it is sitting on a movers dolly so I can easily pull it out. Second, I bought a new set of amp stands and they won't arrive for a couple more weeks (and I only want to position these once if possible). Finally, Mark advised that the recommendation for brand new amps is power on around the clock for six days straight... and only then, start any critical listening, Because of that, I left my Para JC-1's up and running. Speaking of my JC-1's... they kind of look like 'little brother' compared to the new amps! While of course I knew the dimensions of the XA160.8, a couple inches of difference on paper looks an awful lot bigger when seen in person! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to everyone that chimed in and offered guidance along the journey!

Congrats! I'm quite certain you will be very, very happy with these superb amplifiers. Eager to learn of your impressions after you get them set up and have a good listening session. In my experience, they seem to sound better and better the more I listen to the music with them.

I fully expect the XA160.8s to be my "best and final" amplifiers.

And yes, they are a bit heavy. They remained upstairs, just inside the front door (delivery fellow was kind enough to set them inside). I waited until my son could come over to move them downstairs to the media room. He insisted we unbox them upstairs, and that he would then carry them down the stairs -- which he did, using the handles just a bit of huffing an puffing. I was happy he was in such great shape!

Again, very happy for you. Enjoy as soon as you get the chance.

Congrats! I'm quite certain you will be very, very happy with these superb amplifiers. Eager to learn of your impressions after you get them set up and have a good listening session. In my experience, they seem to sound better and better the more I listen to the music with them.

I fully expect the XA160.8s to be my "best and final" amplifiers.

And yes, they are a bit heavy. They remained upstairs, just inside the front door (delivery fellow was kind enough to set them inside). I waited until my son could come over to move them downstairs to the media room. He insisted we unbox them upstairs, and that he would then carry them down the stairs -- which he did, using the handles just a bit of huffing an puffing. I was happy he was in such great shape!

Again, very happy for you. Enjoy as soon as you get the chance.
Wow! I can't even imagine trying to carry something this big, heavy and awkward down a set of stairs... even in my best days! One slip, missed step, etc., could lead to a really bad outcome not only for the amp, but also for the person trying to carry it!!! :cautious: :oops: Fortunately, in my case we have a walkout basement so getting them into my room wasn't a huge deal. We just strapped them to a good hand truck... then recruited my younger neighbor to carefully walk them down the hill beside the house, and just roll them in the back door. Then it was just a matter of unboxing them, which involved him doing a couple of big deadlifts! Anyway, they are safely inside and powered up for their burn-in period.

One thing I've been watching is the temperature of their heat sinks. As I've mentioned many times before I was really hesitant bringing in a Pass Labs amp (especially a Class A amp) because of the heat output. While all I can measure at this point is their temperature at idle, at least so far they run approximately ten degrees cooler than my Para JC-1's which is a surprise and big relief. I'll have a better idea in about a week once I actually put them in my system under load, but if they behave anything like my current JC-1's, their temperature doesn't really change between sitting at idle, or when pushing the amps. We'll see, but so far this is really good news... (y)

Similar situation as yours. I was also thinking of using "a good hand truck" to carefully walk them down the hill by the house to the walkout lower level, but was unsure I could handle even doing it that way. Fortunately, our son is strong and in great shape. I was a bit trepidatious about him trotting down the stairs holding them by the handles, but he did a great job.

I really do think you will be fine with the "warmth" of these amps. Will be very interested in hearing your thoughts once you are able to have a good listen.

Congrats on the new amps! I look forward to reading more when you get them burned in. Pass is one of the best Solid State amp makers out there and I'm very jealous.

Latest posts

Back