Krell amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the Duo 300XD, but this one is $35,000.
Krell KSA-i400 40th Anniversary model.
AXPONA-2022-Krell-Estelon-DSC07089.jpg
I don't think I could ever bring myself to buy an amplifier that cost $10,000 more than my corvette. That thing is ridiculous.

And yes it’s all in your perspective, I’ve learned never to say never any more! Both items are pure luxury buys so who’s to say which one is more attractive to he owner. Hell I sold my Corvette and bought a 65 Chevelle SS in need of a complete frame off restoration that I am in the middle of now, this Krell I just picked up would have bought a lot of parts for the restoration but hey I value both things and you only live once…..enough of my rambling on back to the Benny Carter Alive and well in Japan, it sounds AWESOME!

I saw that Krell room at Axpona last week. it sounded absolutely amazing. I asked the engineer talking about it, he claimed it would do 400x2 into 8 ohms, that it would double 800x2 into 4 ohms, and was stable at 1600x2 into 2 ohms. And he claimed it was all Class A. I am not sure I believe the Class A part just because of the amount of heat sink that would be required, but it is still impressive even if it was AB after 100 watts. (I would think you would need a refrigerant system to cool a 1600 watt class A amp). He also said that it had two 2700 VA transformers which is like having an internal substation.

I am not sure that I would recommend a giant Krell amp for an ML speaker that had a powered subwoofer, though. I don't think you need near that much power since the bass is not included in what you need to drive.

-Geoff

krell.jpg

I ordered a Pass Int 60 in early March and was told May/June by my dealer. This makes me slightly concerned though. Should check in with him to see a status.

Anyhow, in the interim he's loaned me a Krell Vanguard. I think it sounds pretty good with the 13As. I can only imagine the upline Krell sounds better. I figured I would have a huge drop off while I awaited the Pass, and I don't feel that way. I hadn't demoed it when I initially listened to the 13As, instead I heard various amps in the Pass line, some McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Rogue - etc. But this has many of the characteristics I liked about the pass: liquid, smooth and with a hint of warmth. Of course, I haven't gotten to compare the Pass side by side with it, at home in my room.

Patience, Grasshopper! The INT-60 will be worth the wait.

I ordered a Pass Int 60 in early March and was told May/June by my dealer. This makes me slightly concerned though. Should check in with him to see a status.

Anyhow, in the interim he's loaned me a Krell Vanguard. I think it sounds pretty good with the 13As. I can only imagine the upline Krell sounds better. I figured I would have a huge drop off while I awaited the Pass, and I don't feel that way. I hadn't demoed it when I initially listened to the 13As, instead I heard various amps in the Pass line, some McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Rogue - etc. But this has many of the characteristics I liked about the pass: liquid, smooth and with a hint of warmth. Of course, I haven't gotten to compare the Pass side by side with it, at home in my room.

Patience,, Grasshopper! The INT-60 will be worth the wait. You could always contact Nelson directly?!

I saw that Krell room at Axpona last week. it sounded absolutely amazing. I asked the engineer talking about it, he claimed it would do 400x2 into 8 ohms, that it would double 800x2 into 4 ohms, and was stable at 1600x2 into 2 ohms. And he claimed it was all Class A. I am not sure I believe the Class A part just because of the amount of heat sink that would be required, but it is still impressive even if it was AB after 100 watts. (I would think you would need a refrigerant system to cool a 1600 watt class A amp). He also said that it had two 2700 VA transformers which is like having an internal substation.

I am not sure that I would recommend a giant Krell amp for an ML speaker that had a powered subwoofer, though. I don't think you need near that much power since the bass is not included in what you need to drive.

-Geoff

View attachment 22675
I just came across this again searching for something else, but now I have a Krell XD amp so I think I understand more about how Krell can make the i400 operate without the huge heatsinks we all would expect it to have.

The XD amps are said to run in Class A, all the time, but they run pretty cool all the time - albeit with fans that I never hear even when the room is dead silent. My Duo 300 XD doesn't double and double, but it does sound very noticeably smoother, sweeter and more natural than the S-1500 it replaces for my 13A's.

So while I'm not fully informed on how the i400 is designed, I'm pretty sure it uses XD technology to keep the Class A running at a lower level but always ready for full output.

I believe krell uses some form of sliding bias technology, basically it scales the class A bias back to only what is required for the volume you're listening at. I might not be 100% correct on that but I'm pretty sure it something along those lines.

Latest posts

Back