KLH Model Nine’s Incoming

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the speakers today. They look fantastic for being almost 60 years old! ...

Awesome, one note, if you have or can borrow a variac, it is generally recommended to not hit vintage electronics with a full 120v when first powering them back on. Start at 80v and slowly go up to 110 and run them on that for a few hrs.
I keep a variac around for that and other testing purposes.
Hopefully they work.

They’re hybrid electrostats, but not the standard panel speaker like an ML.

The other major difference is the new JansZen is a monopole speaker, making them much easier to integrate into a room, or for use in a multichannel setup.

To be clear, the old Nine is a dipole (like the MLs), it's the new line that is monopole.

I look forward to your impressions of the new line when you take the Nine up for refurbishing.

Thanks, Jon. Wish I had a variac, but I don’t. Not too worried, since I’m going to be refurbishing them anyway. And yes, I’m excited to audition David Janszen’s speakers when I take these up to him. I’ll definitely post my impressions. Seems to be a very versatile and competent hybrid speaker.

Oh, he definitely makes his own speakers. They’re hybrid electrostats, but not the standard panel speaker like an ML. Check them out: JansZen Audio
Wow, those look pretty cool. The floor standing that are amplified and have a DAC are neat. All you have to do is give them an input signal. No external amps or speaker wire needed. Id like to hear them.

I see they are built in Columbus Ohio, thats nice too.

Thanks, Jon. Wish I had a variac, but I don’t. Not too worried, since I’m going to be refurbishing them anyway. And yes, I’m excited to audition David Janszen’s speakers when I take these up to him. I’ll definitely post my impressions. Seems to be a very versatile and competent hybrid speaker.
I live close to Columbus myself. Maybe I can arrange to hear them someday. I may look into those in the future. Im excited to hear your impression of them. Id like to know how they compare to Martin Logans.

Well, I haven’t had a chance to hook them up yet, but I did solve the power cord issue. Not dangerous at all. 🤪⚡

Attachments

• 032A45E1-982D-47E5-A14C-C121E3B18673.jpeg
    032A45E1-982D-47E5-A14C-C121E3B18673.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Got the Model Nine’s in my listening room and hooked up to the CJ Premier 140 tube amp. They work! And not only that, they sound great! They have fantastic imaging and put off a huge soundstage. These big panels have a very different, heavier sonic presence in the room than the Summits. It’s hard to describe. Even off-axis they sound really good. Not bad for 60 year old speakers!

But when I turned the volume up moderately high, I started getting some strange vibrato. I’m guessing that’s because the Mylar panels have stiffened up with age. Or could be the aging electronics. Either way, the refurbishment should take care of that. Here’s a pic of them from the listening position.

1998DB66-A921-4202-AE79-3747AC98D0D2.jpeg

They look like Magnepans. That's a lot of surface area! Certainly more than the Summits? Congrats on finding them and then having the investor's son restore them. I'm envious!

They look like Magnepans. That's a lot of surface area! Certainly more than the Summits? Congrats on finding them and then having the investor's son restore them. I'm envious!
Thanks, Robert. They do have a lot of surface area. But interestingly, unlike a hybrid ML that has one big panel for everything from about 270 hz. on up, these have multiple subpanels handling bass and treble separately. Each speaker has one tweeter panel (at ear level on the outside edge of the speaker, covering 800 hz. and up) and nine bass panels (covering 40 hz. to 800 hz.). When I get them refurbished, I’m going to get David to replace the tweeter panels with his modern version, which lowers the crossover to 500 hz, has more surface area, and has better dispersion characteristics.

I spent a lot of time last night listening to them with various reference tracks. A few things I learned… First of all, their imaging and soundstage is incredible. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard better. They literally put my summits to shame on both accounts. I would not have believed it if I didn’t hear it for myself. The soundstage was as wide as the walls of my room and voices/instruments were localized with incredible realism. It’s hard to describe. I can pick out locations of voices and instruments on the soundstage with my summits, but never as clearly and distinctly, nor as palpable and realistic as what I heard from these speakers. And I’ve never really noticed a soundstage wider than the speakers with my Summits. It was truly amazing.

Second, I also noticed some clear indications that these speakers definitely need the refurbishment. As good as they sound, they are limited in their bass output. I particularly noticed it on tracks that had a plucked string bass. I could tell the output of the speakers below 100 hz. was greatly diminished. This is common with these older electrostats as the Mylar gets brittle and the electronics age. Even once they’re refurbished, I’ll still need to pair them with a subwoofer to get good response down to 20 hz. But even without the sub, they should be capable of putting out good response down to 40 hz. and right now they can’t.

Third, these speakers have a presence in the room that is hard to describe. Not just visual, but audible. The Summits play louder, but these speakers fill the room with great sound in a way the Summits can’t. It’s really weird. I’m guessing it has to do with the sheer size of these panels. At any rate, I’m excited to have them and can’t wait to have them refurbished to better-than-new condition. Truly a holy grail speaker for me.

Oh, he definitely makes his own speakers. They’re hybrid electrostats, but not the standard panel speaker like an ML. Check them out: JansZen Audio
Ive never seen it before, but these high end speakers have a tweeter on the side. Electrostat panels on front and the tweeter on the side aiming toward side walls.

Valentina A8 (Active) - JansZenAudio

Ive never seen it before, but these high end speakers have a tweeter on the side. Electrostat panels on front and the tweeter on the side aiming toward side walls.

Valentina A8 (Active) - JansZenAudio
Yes, those are his speakers. David Janszen. He’s the son of Arthur Janszen. I’m hoping to get to listen to those speakers when I take my Nines to him for refurbishment. The electrostatic tweeter in those speakers is the one he’ll replace mine with. The silk dome tweeter on the side of his speaker has a level adjustment that goes from off to very loud, depending on room and personal preference. I think it allows you to create a little more air/ambiance to make up for the limited dispersion of the electrostatic tweeter. Gives the speaker a little more versatility in setup.

But interestingly, unlike a hybrid ML that has one big panel for everything from about 270 hz. on up, these have multiple subpanels handling bass and treble separately. Each speaker has one tweeter panel (at ear level on the outside edge of the speaker, covering 800 hz. and up) and nine bass panels (covering 40 hz. to 800 hz.).
This is why the imaging is different than the ML's, as the Nine is more of a point-source as far as treble goes.

The MLs radiate all frequencies in their range across the full surface of the panel, which energizes the room differently and forms a line source of whatever the height of the panel is.

I have to say, now that I'm into Atmos content, that a point-source can have some benefits as far as 3D imaging.

@Rich Have you seen this story regarding refurbishing a Nine?
https://forum.psaudio.com/t/klh-nine-electrostatic-speaker-rebuild-project/10025
He describes the journey you are about to embark on, and he seems happy with the results.

I ran across it while looking for pics of the tweeter assembly.
Hey Jon. I have seen that. But thanks for posting the link so others can read it too as it’s a great read. I’m really excited to get these speakers up to David for a rebuild. Also, I agree with you about the imaging. I hadn’t considered the idea that this speaker acts as a point source for the treble and a line source for the mids and lows. That may very well what leads to its imaging magic.

I had the pleasure of speaking to David Janszen today. Very nice guy. And when I called his company, he’s the one who answered the phone. Gotta love that! Anyway, he’s going to send me some info on the upgrades and said they’ll let me know when they’re ready for me to bring the speakers up for restoration. They’re pretty backed up right now. I’ll keep you guys updated as things progress. Can’t wait to hear how these babies sound once they’re better than new.

Time to update this thread. I finally found the time to haul my Model Nine’s up to Columbus, Ohio and deliver them to David Janszen for a full restoration. He’s going to strip them down to the bones, replace and upgrade all the electronics, rebuild all the electrostatic bass panels, and replace the electrostatic tweeters with his own modern version (which has more surface area and better dispersion characteristics) and refinish the walnut frames. They will look and function better than the original once he’s finished. Timeline on the restoration is two to three months, but it’s fluid. I told him there was no hurry.

First of all, let me say that David is an absolute pleasure. He is laid back, congenial, and a joy to converse with. He took over an hour of his time to talk with me, show me around his shop, and give me a personal audition of his gear. His speakers are exceptional. I auditioned the floor standing passive version (Valentina P8) in a fairly small, but well-treated room. The system was simple. A Bluetooth receiver streaming tunes from his phone through a basic pro audio amp. Nothing fancy. But the speakers sounded great. They have the immediacy and realism we all expect from electrostatics, with pinpoint imaging and a wide soundstage, and just an incredibly natural sound. They are fairly diminutive speakers, only about three feet tall or so. But they put out a sound much bigger than you would expect by looking at them. The twin 8” woofers really do justice to any bass or percussion in a track, and blend seamlessly with the electrostatic tweeters. We listened to lots of different styles and genres of music and it all sounded great. Whether classical, pop, or rock, these speakers can reproduce it flawlessly. And the sound is even more impressive considering the size of the speakers. If you want the magical sound of electrostats, but the ML’s are too big or lack the necessary WAF, I highly recommend you check out David Janszen’s speakers. They are sharp-looking and produce exceptional sound.

After the P8’s, David let me audition his pair of restored Model Nine’s. These sounded nothing short of amazing. Just absolutely incredible. They are on another level, providing a full and completely natural sound that only a full range electrostat can produce. Everything sounded incredible on these speakers. At one point, he played some hard rock with screeching guitars, and it sounded awesome. I made the comment: “who says electrostats can’t rock?” Because they did! The guitar was perfectly reproduced, but with no painful artifacts like you often get with dome tweeters. Just good, clean sound. And amazing bass. I mean, it’s not hard hitting, because it only goes down to 40 hz., but you don’t even really notice that because everything above 40 hz. is prodigious. I was extremely impressed with how good the bass output was for these speakers. And it’s all so cohesive. The sound was pure and natural from 40 hz. up to well above my hearing range. I was also impressed with how loud they could play. My pair was volume-limited due to aging components, but David proved to me that a restored pair can play extremely loud and still sound amazing. These truly are one of the best-sounding speakers ever produced and it just blows my mind that they were designed over 60 years ago! I cannot wait to get mine back and set them up with my electronics in my own well-treated room. I love my ML Summits, but these Model Nine’s are truly on a whole ‘nother level. If you are ever in Columbus, Ohio, I highly recommend going by to meet David and listen to his speakers. You won’t be disappointed.

these Model Nine’s are truly on a whole ‘nother level
Awesome, glad you had the opportunity to hear what your set will be sounding like.
Great to hear you got a personalized tour and demo.

Thanks for the review of the P8's, as I expected, they do well and from your description, they really image nicely with good dynamics.
A major benefit is that as monopole ESLs, they can be placed closer to the front wall, so ideal for smaller or irregular-shaped rooms.

as I expected, they do well and from your description, they really image nicely with good dynamics.
A major benefit is that as monopole ESLs, they can be placed closer to the front wall, so ideal for smaller or irregular-shaped rooms.
Exactly, Jonathan! Because you don’t have to worry about any rear wave, you can place them wherever the bass sounds best in relation to the front wall. And with their size and design, they blend in nicely into any room. One other point, their small size does not translate to a short soundstage. The soundstage appears to float slightly above the speakers, so it sounds very natural. Really impressed with the P8’s. Also, the dome tweeters on the side of the speakers can enhance the width of the soundstage with ambiance very similar to a properly delayed and reflected rear wave off an ESL panel. It just adds another dimension to the sound and can be fully adjusted to the room or turned off entirely, depending on listener preference. I can’t wait to get you over here to listen to the Model Nine’s once I get them back. You need to plan on a trip over to Huntsville in a few months.

Back