Kenwood L-07m mono power amps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmort

Reaction score
I’m a new ML owner, just purchased a pair of electromotion ESL’s, and I was going to power them with the Kenwood L-07m power amps. My concern is I’m reading about how these speakers seem to create a varied load that can dip down to 2 ohms, these amps are listed as capable of 4 to 16 ohms, so I don’t want to create an issue here with the equipment.
does Anyone here have any experience with these amps and the ML electrostat Speakers?

Caution!!! ⚠🔥

That amp from the '70's is a nice vintage amp, and probably does fine with some JBL L100's, but it will likely fry with an ESL. See this post for a cautionary tale with Acoustats (an ESL speaker as well): Complex Load for Power Amplifier torture testing
Read the following several posts where the techs regale the audience with all the fried L-07s they had to fix.

I'd recommend selling them (vintage market is hot now) and looking for a recently refreshed (or late model) used Sunfire amp.

Caution!!! ⚠🔥

That amp from the '70's is a nice vintage amp, and probably does fine with some JBL L100's, but it will likely fry with an ESL. See this post for a cautionary tale with Acoustats (an ESL speaker as well): Complex Load for Power Amplifier torture testing
Read the following several posts where the techs regale the audience with all the fried L-07s they had to fix.

I'd recommend selling them (vintage market is hot now) and looking for a recently refreshed (or late model) used Sunfire amp.

I am using my Kenwood 700m power amp right now. Tried my McIntosh 2105 which had trouble driving them.

The Kenwood seems ok right now but now im concerned about frying it.

I do have an Audio Research D76 tube amp. Maybe will see how this drives them.

You’ll probably be fine with low levels, but risk your monoblocks at higher levels. Electrostatics are known for their impedance swings. With ML stats… high frequencies have low impedance, lower frequencies have high impedance. I had a similar transistor amp, Akai PS200M that failed driving a pair of ribbon planars. Whereas, my tube monoblocks (KT88 and 805 SET) have no issues driving’s ML stats or ribbons. Careful with the 700M, it’s rare!

Old thread. FWIW, I used a pair of Kenwood L-07m amps with my Quests for a couple years until a bought a Classe CA200. The Kenwoods had no discernible problem with the Quests low impedance. The Classe was a substantial step up.

Kenwood L-07m were nice amps back in the 70's. I still have a my pair. I brought home a Sumo 9 (9+?) class A amp & forget what else for a A/B/C evaluation. I returned the Sumo & the other amp.

Last edited:
I am using my Kenwood 700m power amp right now. Tried my McIntosh 2105 which had trouble driving them.

The Kenwood seems ok right now but now im concerned about frying it.

I do have an Audio Research D76 tube amp. Maybe will see how this drives them.
I have used an ARC D-60 MkII with my original Sequels for a few years with no issue and it sounds really good with my CAT preamp. Prior to the D-60, I used an ARC Classic 60 for 20+ years.

Back