Just wanted to say that I miss my Vantage...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
I'm about to go to bed and I just wanted to say that I miss my Vantages. I went and burned a CD worth of new songs that I have acquired these past few weeks (post-Vantage) and I brought them to my local Tweeter. I sneaked past the salespeople and went to the dedicated room where they have the Vantage and JM Labs 918Be hooked up to a Krell SACD player and the Krell 400xi integrated, running balanced.

I closed the door, sat down, and ran the system at about 80-85db... sub unhooked.

I went through my entire CD and repeated some songs just for kicks. I was there for about an hour and half (not joking) and I sat there in joy. It was great!! I just came back from seeing my girlfriend and it was a great way to end the day.

The sound is just so... mesmerizing. So emotional, so clear, so layered, so well done. The instrument separation, the size of the instruments, the clarity of each pluck off the guitar, the palpable 3D image of the singer's voice, the beauty of beating drums... everything heightens my senses. The depth of the soundscape is deep and the breadth of the stage (from L to R) is large. I love the Vantage (if only I could afford the Summits), almost no matter what runs it... be it Krell or my lowly Rotel (as long as it isnt a receiver). I really enjoy the music it reproduces.... nothing comes close from my experience.

I hooked up the JM Labs $4K speaker and only sat down to listen for half a song - I had to switch back. If that is not an indication of the superiority of the Vantage in my mind, I dont know what is. I will add that I used the same CD compilation to audition my neighbor's new $2K Onix Rocket RS850-Signature (av123) speaker and it didnt do many of what the Vantage does right.

The salesman came in and my audition came to an end. I asked about the Krell integrated to buy me some credibility but upon mentioning that I owned the Vantages he stood up on his tippy-toes (so to speak) and served me on hand and foot. I managed to leave, telling him I'll be back.

I know this is probably a pointless thread, but I just wanted to share that there is some ML appreciation going on somewhere my way of the world.

And that's how this episode ends. ;)

Last edited:
Don’t worry Joey; you will be reunited with your new best friends in no time.

I got to ask the question. What does your girl friend think of all this audio stuff?

I know how you feel when comparing the Focals to The Vantages. The Focals just sit there but did not involve me. My local Tweeter has the same setup and there is no comparison. The Vanatges sound great with the Krell stuff hooked up with Monster M2.2s. I have never owned ML before, but hearing the Vantage I bought them right away. Got them home listened some more and figured while the wife is ****ed I might as well go for the Summits and really take a beating. But then the deed is done and soon harmony will be restored.

Whichever ML you choose they are great speakers and all it costs me is a Hawian Island cruise next year (that will suck :->). Anyway, back on topic I have been spending every night 11-12PM just relistening to my collection and enjoying it as if I had not heard it before.

Have fun and enjoy we are the fortunate few that really listen to our playback systems as primary entertainment not background noise .....Steve

Zip3kx07 said:
I got to ask the question. What does your girl friend think of all this audio stuff?

GF thinks I'm a little loco, but she appreciates the sound when she comes over and listens to her favorite songs. I guess it keeps me out of trouble, and she likes that. ;)

Vantages are a coming...

Joey_V said:
GF thinks I'm a little loco, but she appreciates the sound when she comes over and listens to her favorite songs. I guess it keeps me out of trouble, and she likes that. ;)
Joey,

I agree with your GF, you are a little loco, but (like your GF) we love you just the way you are... :D You've kinda grown on us here at the ML Club, Joey. I am just about convinced you're gonna love your BEM Vantages, almost as much as I love your BEM Vantages... :D
Remember my calendar is circled... :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, Robin. Your posts and remarks are something I look forward to also. It's the other way for me, this site has grown on me. :)

Joey_V said:

Funny how other people will think your Loco, for throwing this kind of money at an audio system but them they start to enjoy it just as much as you. Everyone around me thinks I am nuts, but ware do you think they want to hang out when its movie time?

Audiophile Burden We Bear...

Zip3kx07 said:
Funny how other people will think your Loco, for throwing this kind of money at an audio system but them they start to enjoy it just as much as you. Everyone around me thinks I am nuts, but ware do you think they want to hang out when its movie time?
Joe,

Yes, I find what you said to be very, very true... ;) The only person in my family who understands me is my youngest son. He actually helps and assists me anytime I need him. Well, he is gonna be in my audiophile "Will", if I should die not just because he cares about audio, but he appreciates it as well. ;)

If appreciating the finer things in life is nuts, count me in! (Said while savouring the taste of 21 year old Glenlivet.)

aliveatfive said:
If appreciating the finer things in life is nuts, count me in! (Said while savouring the taste of 21 year old Glenlivet.)

Gosh.. your wine is almost as old as me. :(

Joey_V said:
Gosh.. your wine is almost as old as me. :(

Ahhh, Joey? He's not talking about wine there buddy... What he is referring to is considered the age old "Gentlemens" drink of choice. I prefer it straight up or sometimes on the rocks. That there be Scotch my boy! :cool:

MarkNewbie said:
Ahhh, Joey? He's not talking about wine there buddy... What he is referring to is considered the age old "Gentlemens" drink of choice. I prefer it straight up or sometimes on the rocks. That there be Scotch my boy! :cool:

Err... scotch! I have much to learn with regards to the fine arts of alcoholic beverages... I'm stuck with just beer and more beer. The student's life... we go for cheapness. :)

Joey_V said:
Err... scotch! I have much to learn with regards to the fine arts of alcoholic beverages... I'm stuck with just beer and more beer. The student's life... we go for cheapness. :)

Ah, that may be true but only in certain catagories lad. After all, you have new MLs coming don't you? :D

MarkNewbie said:
Or as my uncle used to say, "pour me a dram of your good whiskey, their laddie"
He was a true Scottsman, I guess only us crazy Americans refer to it as "Scotch". BTW I'll take Balvenie 21 year old Port Wood thank you very much !!

twich54 said:
Or as my uncle used to say, "pour me a dram of your good whiskey, their laddie"
He was a true Scottsman, I guess only us crazy Americans refer to it as "Scotch". BTW I'll take Balvenie 21 year old Port Wood thank you very much !!

Ah Dave my boy! Dare I say that you have truly impeccable taste! I'd drink with you any day! :cool:

A good Scotch and Martin Logans...it just doesn't get much better than that!

Hmmm, somehow this thread has morphed into an intoxicants discussion. Ok, I'll play. :)

Analog, tubes, cannabis -- that would be the Triple Crown of nostalgia. Add a nice glass of red wine and you'd have a modern Grand Slam, if you'll pardon my mixing different sports metaphors.

Of course, the problem with doing that is that the LP is now playing the next cut, and you're still thinking deeply about the previous cut. :eek:

Latest posts

Back