Just lazy

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherian

Reaction score
Call me lazy but does anyone know if you can buy an A/B switch to do the following.

I have (2) amps and I have (1) preamp and (1) set of speakers. I want to be switch between the amps without have to unplug the one amp from the preamp and then plug these leads into the other amp then unhook the speakers from the first amp and hook them into the second. Oh and I would like to keep the sound quality somewhat intact.

Sorry, I also I posted this in the classified section by mistake.

Thanks

Cherian

Yes, the capability exists to do so... a couple of things to look for:

• Switch's power handling capacity
  • Impedence matching so as not to damage the amp(s)

Take a look around, there are many speaker level switches with varying capabilities. Parts Express has a few.

Thanks for the info. I will look into this.

Here's something that might work for you. Radio Shack also sells some type of a-b speaker switching device.

Speaker Switch

amey01 said:
I don't think any of these would not compromise sound quality in some way.

Yes, I would think in a big way. I read something Ivor Triefenshamalamadingdongbom (horribly mangled I know, but I don't recall the spelling), anyway, the main guy at Linn, said regarding listening to music systems and switching networks were one of the things he mentioned as being most detrimental.

If you think about all of the high quality components that go into a high quality piece of gear it seems counterintuitive to add a cheap switch into the middle of a critical link between the pre-amp and power amp(s).

Cherian, don't be so lazy. Think of the opportunity as audiophile aerobics!

MiTT said:
Yes, I would think in a big way. I read something Ivor Triefenshamalamadingdongbom (horribly mangled I know, but I don't recall the spelling), anyway, the main guy at Linn, said regarding listening to music systems and switching networks were one of the things he mentioned as being most detrimental.

If you think about all of the high quality components that go into a high quality piece of gear it seems counterintuitive to add a cheap switch into the middle of a critical link between the pre-amp and power amp(s).

Cherian, don't be so lazy. Think of the opportunity as audiophile aerobics!
FWIW if one ones an ARC pre-amp switching device not necessary since there are two pair of "main" outputs to accomadate your needs. At least think this is what you were after !!! ???

twich54 said:
FWIW if one ones an ARC pre-amp switching device not necessary since there are two pair of "main" outputs to accomadate your needs. At least think this is what you were after !!! ???

Yes, but he is looking for two sets of speaker level outputs, not line level.

I agree 100% with the sound quality issue. It is not what I would call an ideal alternative to switching them manually.

Can you just use both amps and bi-amp them?

I think you are all right. I would lose too much in sound quality to use a AB switch for both the peramp and amp. I think I will build 2 systems. One 2 channel and one HT. :D Oh man, time to start saving up again.

Cherian

Back