Just heard the Vantage...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Just came back from a solid audition at Tweeter.

Initial thoughts, much wider and dispersed sound compared to the Clarity or Aeons (no other Logans there). The sound was never pressured, in a sense, rather very airy and at ease. When I quickly A/Bed to another speaker - say a Focal by JMLabs - I can sense a bit of artificialness (on the part of the Focals, a traditional cone speaker) - where there seemed to be some sound pressure coming where the speaker stood... kind of took away from the fidelity of the soundstage a little.

One thing I noticed between the Aeon and the Vantage, though, was that the Aeons seemed to have a little more treble... why is that? The Vantage seemed a little laid back comparatively. Also, the Vantage seemed a little too soft in some parts relative to the Aeon... is this because the Vantage is harder to drive, especially by a receiver (we used the most expensive one there)? Is this relative softness not a weakness and more a sign of "TRUER" fidelity?

I must divulge, the Vantage were spaced extremely far apart - at the ends of the wall - a good 4 feet wider than the Aeons - both were toed in a little.

What do you guys think?

For starters, I would not drive a speaker like the Vantage with a receiver. They would probably do much better with a separate amp and preamp. Also, Logans are notorious for long break-in times. How long did these play? Did the store take a great deal of care with set-up? The speakers are very revealing and will respond to a lack of care with poor sound. Just my guess.

Listening to a pair of Martin Logans at any tweeter store will make the speakers sound like trash.Tweeter is not known to have hardcore seperates just mainstream electronics(denon,pioneer,kenwood ect),and that type of electronics does nothing for a Martin Logan speaker but make them sound like TRASH! When Martin Logans were developed and tested,they weren't tested(or voiced)by receivers,it was great electronics.So how come this store that sells bullshit(tweeter-magnolia),are able to sell ML's and they don't have the right associated equipment :confused:

There should be a difference when I drive the Logans with a setup like my Rotel RC1070 and RB1070 right? The best they could do was to drive it with a $3499 receiver - good, I'm sure, but nothing great.

Meanwhile, the Focal by JMLabs were driven by a $5000 Krell amp coupled with a $3000 Krell CD player.

Maybe go to a true hi-end store.Thats where you will find the right equipment to make those things sound like what they were made for. ;)

The thing I'm wondering about is that driven by the same electronics - substandard of course - why did the Aeons have a less recessed vocal reproduction compared to the Vantage?

Anyone heard the two on better electronics and come to the same conclusion?

I guess the one thing that disappointed me about the Vantage is that they sounded sort of lifeless and void of dynamics. I hope it's just hte receiver.... even the Aeons seemed more lively than the Vantage... anyone comment?

Joey_V said:
I guess the one thing that disappointed me about the Vantage is that they sounded sort of lifeless and void of dynamics. I hope it's just the receiver....
Your hope is correct.

I have heard both Vantage and Summit and both panels sound great with the right electronics.

Dan

Do yourself a favor go to a REAL store(NOT TWEETER) to audition these fine speakers properly. The fact that any merchant would put a receiver up against them tells you he/she dosen't know their you know what from third base !!!!!

Also the fact that M/L allows Tweeter to carry their product is not a good sign.
$$$$$$$=greed..ahhh the American way !!

Joey_V said:
I guess the one thing that disappointed me about the Vantage is that they sounded sort of lifeless and void of dynamics. I hope it's just hte receiver.... even the Aeons seemed more lively than the Vantage... anyone comment?

Sounds like they were not broken in yet, or were not meshing right with that receiver.

Zip3kx07 said:
Sounds like they were not broken in yet, or were not meshing right with that receiver.

I sure hope you're right Joe... I'm already finalizing the setup that will run the Vantage - I just bought a Rotel RC1070 preamp and will run the Vantage with my Rotel RB1070 amp.

I hope it turns out good.... still a month away from buying it.

BTW, could it also be that they were just TOO FAR apart? The toe-ins were probably not sufficient and the room was pretty big which dissipated much of the bass (although the bass was far superior to that of the Aeons).

Last edited:
Joey V, I've had my Vantage's up and running for going on three weeks and I can honestly say they get better evry day! I'm using Rotel RB-1090 to drive them with an ARC SP-16 as my pre-amp, so I think youre headed in the right direction. Another thing to remember when you were listening to them at "Twatter" was they probably had multiple sets of speakers in their "pathitic" listening room right ??? That will never do a audition any good !! Show us your system when you get it together, Good Luck !!

Twich,

I was || this close to getting an RB1090... but I stopped myself just before I got it... actually, I'm kicking myself for not pushing through.

Dang...

twich54 said:
Joey V, I've had my Vantage's up and running for going on three weeks and I can honestly say they get better evry day! I'm using Rotel RB-1090 to drive them with an ARC SP-16 as my pre-amp, so I think youre headed in the right direction. Another thing to remember when you were listening to them at "Twatter" was they probably had multiple sets of speakers in their "pathitic" listening room right ??? That will never do a audition any good !! Show us your system when you get it together, Good Luck !!

I understand that... but my concern is that it seemed like the Vantage was recessed versus the Aeons. Both sets were in the same listening room and the same factors plagued both. I guess my main question remains: are the Vantages recessed vs the Aeons? And if so, is this a sign of truer fidelity or are the Vantages just harder to run than the Aeons and this receiver just showed this flaw even more so?

I don't know the Aeons well enough to say but I'll bet it was as Joe mentioned in an earlier thread that Vantages may have not been run in enough and their placement (as you stated earlier) in the listening room was improper not to mention the receiver issue. BOTTOM LINE...If your still not sure do what most of us have said, go to a "Real" Audio Salon and audition them properly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to find a true ML dealer near me.... Tweeter sucks.

Anyone have recommendations near Chicago?

Go on the Martin Logan website to dealer locate,get a phone number,call them to see what kinda setup they have.If it sounds like a real hi-end store pay them a visit.If you like the vantages invest in that store. :)

Joey_V said:
I understand that... but my concern is that it seemed like the Vantage was recessed versus the Aeons. Both sets were in the same listening room and the same factors plagued both. I guess my main question remains: are the Vantages recessed vs the Aeons? And if so, is this a sign of truer fidelity or are the Vantages just harder to run than the Aeons and this receiver just showed this flaw even more so?

Room placement makes a HUGE difference with ML's, as do the driving electronics. The fact that they were "recessed" (I read that as close to the rear wall), and being driven with a receiver would easily destroy the sound. ML's need to be well away from the rear wall for good sound (the panel is bipolar, it radiates equally from the front AND the back). Once you get a set of ML's you'll notice that even an inch of movement will affect the sound noticeably. The fact the two speakers were four feet different in placement would alter the sound tremendously, even if it were the exact SAME speaker at both locations. Also, driving them with a receiver is not ideal for best sound either. Receivers have to 'do everything', and are also built to a price point (LOTS of competition in home theater nowadays), between these conflicting parameters, the amps usually suffer significantly in comparison to seperates, i.e. a dedicated amp.

Peter

Alright guys... I'm gonna travel 16 miles to listen to the Vantage at a non-Tweeter store. Hopefully, we'll get some better electronics and a better listening room to evaluate these monsters.

Joey

Back