Just heard the Vantage...part 2!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Alright.... came back from a WONDERFUL audition!

I was about to go to Stuttgart Electronics - but I called ahead and found out that it was a by-appointment only. I talked to the guy and he told me that they sell ML Vantage on a per order basis - meaning, they dont carry any in stock. The cool thing, however, was that he was willing to sell me the Vantage for the price of a floor model (without even opening it ;) ). He quoted me 20% off... awesome! And regarding delivery to my apartment in Chicago, he told me he'll help me out as much as he can. I told him I'll get back to him within a month and we'll get the Vantages moving over to my place. Hehehhe...

Anyway, this was good news for me because I can certainly afford them now! I felt like celebrating and so I went out anyway. I passed by my local Tweeter and I stopped by since I know the Logan Rep there pretty well.

Guess what.... they had BOTH the Vantage and the Summits all hooked up to their best stuff - $10,000 worth of Krell Electronics (cdp, preamp, amp)! Along with a Descent just for good measure.

Anyway, I told Brian that I wouldnt be able to buy at the moment and when I will be (in a month), then we'd talk turkey (let's see if they match what Stuttgart Electronics quoted me). He was fine with it and he let me listen to the two. I must have been there for 2 hours or so because once I got acclimated to the speakers - there really was no sense in leaving. ;)

First up, the Summits. VERY big in person - WIDE, too! Much larger stator panel relative to the Vantage! Also, the cabinet was a good 2x in volume larger! The Summits played wide, loud, and beautifully! The extension was there, the midrange was present in spades, and the bass (with the Descent turned off) was tactile yet transient... perrrrrfect! We listened to all sorts of songs - from Mariah Carrey to Norah Jones to 50 cent to 3 Doors Down to Eagles.

Next up, I hooked up the Vantage.

"Please God.. please make the Vantage sound halfway as good as the Summits or I'll end up spending $10,000 on speakers...."

First note..... boom! Vocals, midrange, highs, treble, and even the bass was eeriely (sp?) similar to that of the Summits. The Summits had better bass - no doubt - but all above a certain frequency sounded very similar from the sweet spot. The Summits were CRAZY overall... very good depth in soundstage while remaining uncongested and airy throughout the musical reproduction! At times, I felt that speakers were too good for what I was playing through them.... I felt the need for better recordings!

The Vantage were also CRAZY overall! Far better than when I auditioned at the other Tweeter store! There was no recessed vocal/midrange - everything came through loud and clear. The imaging was precise, the stage extended beyond the panels - both in width and in depth.... the bass was quick, fast, and wickedly good! Keep in mind that I was in a large 20x20 room - and the bass was good enough for me to say that I wont be missing my subwoofer (I have to sell so I can buy the Vantage) in the meantime... until I can afford to augment it with a better SVS or the Descent.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Anyone who walked by walked slightly slower when they came upon the Vantage/Summit presentation. They all checked out the stators, the all looked at the tag - then they either popped an eyeball or stayed for a longer listen (behind me of course, I had the sweetspot of the house :D ). EVERYONE who walked by commented on how clear they were, how the music didnt seem "short", how the music just sounded that much more REAL! It was great hearing this from people who arent even audiophiles, just mere browsers or car audio guys!

I went to the other room to listen to the JM Labs Focal 907Be.... I heard them a while ago when I visited Tweeter in search for the Vantage (back a few months ago when the Vantage were just press released) and I remember saying to myself that these Focals were toe to toe as good or even slightly better than the BW 703 towers (both at around the $4G mark).

This time, I plunked in my cd into the Krell cdp, turned the knob on the Krell preamp, and let the current flow from the Krell amp... sat down on a chair - listened.

The music came out - but it was congested! Nothing relative to the Vantage! I couldnt believe my ears - here were some of the greatest speakers I had heard to date, but they were a magnitude inferior to the Vantage! I remember thinking that these Focals were slightly better than the Ascents they had at the Tweeter store a few months back - but these were downright embarassed by the new MLs. I listened for a total of 5 minutes and I turned off the cdp, took my cd, and went back to the Vantage display. There isnt anything like a quick reality check as to how "regular" speakers sound to elevate the ML experience. :p

Played my cd - walked back to the sweetspot... ahhhhhh..... audio utopia!

These two speakers - the Summits and the Vantage - are the TWO finest speakers I have EVER heard in my life. None of the BW speakers (yes, not even the vaunted 800D) nor did any of the Focals nor did any of the Polk LSi nor did any of the Paradigm Signatures sound better or come even close to the music flowing through these two.

Lastly, I must say, after hearing the two - getting the Vantages wont be anything like I thought before: "settling for less". No. The Vantages are sooo good, that I know if I stopped my audio journey with these Vantages - I'll still be a VERY happy man.

Yes... you all should get one.

The Vantage (much less the Summits) were THAT good!

Can someone say.... T minus 1 month and counting?

At $3999... I'd be stupid to pass the Vantage up.

PS
I must say that the Crystal Lake, IL Tweeter folks were great and that this whole store is sooo pro-Logans.. it's like they're each one of us!

Last edited:
That’s fantastic news Joey!

I am glad you finally got to get a good audition of the vantage, and the summit no less. I found you review very amusing, especially the part about how big the summits are, because the summits compared to my ascents look so small.

Good luck, let us know when you get them (pic’s, pic’s, pic’s).

Take care
Joe

Zip3kx07 said:
That’s fantastic news Joey!

Good luck, let us know when you get them (pic’s, pic’s, pic’s).

Take care
Joe

1 month, Joe... 1 month.

Lets hope all goes well and I dont have extra expenses that sneak up on me. :)

I'm happy to see you got a great demo. It's good to see that there is at least a little consistency in the company :D
If only WE had a set of summits. Hell, we had to kick and scream just to get some Krell gear at our location.

Joey_V said:
1 month, Joe... 1 month.

Lets hope all goes well and I dont have extra expenses that sneak up on me. :)

Well, go get that Top Romen and Mac & cheese wile you stile can, and don’t forget about the dollar store, that’s a collage students/ Martin Logan addict’s best friend. :D

Zip3kx07 said:
Well, go get that Top Romen and Mac & cheese wile you stile can, and don’t forget about the dollar store, that’s a collage students/ Martin Logan addict’s best friend. :D

GULP!! :eek:

They mentioned their tradeup program, where I could bring in the Vantage within a year for a speaker twice the price and they would give me the full retail that I paid for the Vantage towards the Summits... and I laughed. :D

I asked them if I actually looked like a guy who could afford $10,000 in speakers. I told them I had to sell everything (headphones, headphone amp, SVS sub, the Onix Ref1, the remaining Polk LSi7, plus a cut-back on restaurant luxury food) just to afford the Vantage. :)

I told them to give me a few years - I'll come back when I have a real job. Save me a pair of the Summits.

Last edited:
Joey_V said:

They mentioned their tradeup program, where I could bring in the Vantage within a year for a speaker twice the price and they would give me the full retail that I paid for the Vantage towards the Summits... and I laughed. :D

I asked them if I actually looked like a guy who could afford $10,000 in speakers. I told them I had to sell everything (headphones, headphone amp, SVS sub, the Onix Ref1, the remaining Polk LSi7, plus a cut-back on food) just to afford the Vantage. :)

I told them to give me a few years - I'll come back when I have a real job. Save me a pair of the Summits.

I am thinking about getting a 2nd job, just to try and afford a pair of summit's.

Just like those of use who have auditioned both the Summit and Vantage have stated:

• The panels and their music reproduction are very similar in quality.
  • The bass between the two is different as one would expect with two drivers and larger encloser in the Summit, and only one driver (smaller) in the Vantage
  • Vantage is 1/2 the price of a Summit, but in regards to cost versus performance is more around the range of 3/4 of the Summit.
  • Costs saved on the Vantage (and great price you have there on 20% off), can be used for better associated gear and music for your system.

I am so glad you were finally able to here the new ML's in a proper environment and associated equipment. It makes a world of difference in their performance, and now you have experienced it first hand.

Happy Holidays,
Dan

Joey_V said:

I asked them if I actually looked like a guy who could afford $10,000 in speakers. I told them I had to sell everything (headphones, headphone amp, SVS sub, the Onix Ref1, the remaining Polk LSi7, plus a cut-back on restaurant luxury food) just to afford the Vantage. :)

I knew you could do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go BEARS !!!!!!!!!!

Cant wait to get the Vantage into my room... hopefully my system doesnt hold it back too much. Either way though, it's nice to have speakers that my scales very well with higher end gear - gives me something to do. ;)

Joey_V said:
Cant wait to get the Vantage into my room... hopefully my system doesnt hold it back too much. Either way though, it's nice to have speakers that my scales very well with higher end gear - gives me something to do. ;)

Hola Joey. Congrats with your, soon in your room, :D new toys!!! The transparency of the electrostatic panel is so outstanding, that you will see why are so many people nuts about them :cool: . I´m sure that you will have tons of enjoy and pleasure. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto. :D

Thank you kind sirs.... I will soon join your ranks!

Excited here in Chicago! :D

My wallet will take a major hit, but I think I'll survive.... I just received word that they increased my scholarship by $800 for the winter (next) semester! Plus, with this 20% discount I talked the guy into... this is an $1800 swing! Cant wait, guys... cant wait!

We'll see what my classmate with his JM Labs will say now.... hehehe... ;) .

I'll be sure to post pics when I get them!

Joe, Roberto, Robin, Dan, Dave, and all others who have helped me out with comments and suggestions.... thanks much and merry christmas to all!!

;)

Latest posts

Back