just got the Summits...one of the best!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
hola Chicos...now I have a new toy in my store...the Summits!!! In black version, and handsome to the eye, are just a joule in my show room. They are playing now and will be for the next 48 hours to break them more...Monday is a hollyday here in Costa Rica (mother´s day) and all I can say is: one of the best speakers on these days regardless of price!...the inner detail, as an example: CD disc, Quality of Silence by Steve Davis (dmp) the scenario and the air between the cymballs are better than my CLSIIz. Size of the instruments are right also. The piano at "Smoke gets in your eyes" is clean and the lower notes are robust but without booming them...same with the bass. But what I liked more was the bass! Believe or not, the controls are simple to use. The panels are better than the Prodigies, the dispersion and the presence of the music is so natural...
As I always said: trust your ears, and that´s what I did...again, breath taking speakers!...easy to drive, I´m using Margules U-280 power amp. to drive them, (30W/ch class A, triode mode) and believe me when I say: very dymanic and right in timbre...the guitar strings are silky and right in tonal balance...also I played an organ, Bach´s Tocatta and Fugue in D...big organ, clean bass, deep notes, cleanes sound!!! The sensitivity of 92 dBs of the panles is true!...guys, I´m in heaven.
Thank you ML team, you did your homework right!
Cheers,
Roberto.

Roberto,

I finally got to audition the summits a week ago, and was blown away to say the least. I did not find the sweet spot to be as large as the prodigy’s 16” wide panel's, but for as small as the summits are it’s very impressive. I love how the sound of the band seems to fill the front of the room and as soon as the vocalist speaks they emerge right between the two towers, if the person yells out there voice snaps right dead center of the room.

And the bass, O’ my god the bass. Its fantastic it so seamless with the panels yet so punchy when it needs to be. What more can I say. Its home audio at its finest. I need a pair. :D

If I had the money for a flight, I'd be there with you.

Ok, with all the talk lately about how far someone has driven to listen to equipment and getting a group together at someone's home, I would like to suggest we all head over to Roberto's Costarican slice of heaven for a nice Summit listening session. :)

Party at Roberto's!

roberto said:
hola Chicos...now I have a new toy in my store...the Summits!!! In black version, and handsome to the eye, are just a joule in my show room.

Congrats Roberto!!! I also saw Black in the store where I heard them - a great color for them. I could not agree more with your assesment of them.

You are lucky to have the chance to compare them side by side to older ML's - a real benefit to really see how far ML has come with the new XStat Panel and the Bass Management. Make sure to try out some female vocals on the new panels - Diana Krall, Tierney Sutton, Amanda McBroom, etc. etc. - pure heaven.

Enjoy!!!

BTW, yesterday, I saw a brand new pair for sale on Audiogon for $7500.

Dan

Thank you chicos!!!

Hola, just wanted to share my feelings with you!...the Summits are honest, easy to drive, easy to set up, specially if you understand the bass controls...why I say this? Well, because we like to play our music with a lot of bass energy...and they can provide tons of this! The controls in my room are very, I think, humble. I needed to increase a little bit at the 50 Hz and take something off at 25Hz. Wow, I just have very decent bass overall. I have listened by now a lof of different kinds of music, classical, voices, solo intruments...and the piano is out of this world! Woods and winds are just right! with the cleanest and magic sound of ML. The panels are very strong and also super dynamics...I have a feeling like I´m listening cone speakers, not electrostatic due to its super great dynamics...guys, I´m truly in heaven. They are not perfect...but one of the best that I ever had!!! You are welcome to party with me here at Paradise... :D :D :D
Thanks for all the kind words and wishes...
With the best,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Roberto -

You may have posted this before, but what are you using for speaker cables, and what is the preamp in your Summit system? Thanks for the info.

aliveatfive said:
Roberto -

You may have posted this before, but what are you using for speaker cables, and what is the preamp in your Summit system? Thanks for the info.
Hola Alieveatfive...well my cables are at this time Harmonic Tech. for speakers and DHlabs I.C. Also I have some Audio Analogue from Italy, and they are very good also.
the truth is that any cable will shine with these babes...it´s your liking and taste. I just played with them a little bit more today. I started with solo instruments, guitar, violin, piano, cello and double bass with piano. I still don´t like when there are a lot of instruments, like symphonic music, but I do like them for camera music or soloist with orchestra. But I think it is my liking, and perhaps I´m judging them too severe. I have one of the Summits with a little problem where it is setted, I can hear the power transformer humm if I get close, let say, one foot from the speaker´s cabinet. I don´t like this. Yes, I know, it is a minor flaw, but still, I don´t like this. For now, it is the only complaint that I have to them. The blend of the panel with the dynamic speakers are super good...you don´t hear it...seamless!!! also, there is a little speaker´s cabinet vibration with high low frequency content...I like this also...still in heaven!
Cheers,
Roberto.

roberto said:
well my cables are at this time Harmonic Tech. for speakers and DH Labs I.C. Also I have some Audio Analogue from Italy, and they are very good also.

I recently tried the DH Lab Revelation and it was a very nice sounding IC. Cost is $270 for .5 Meter & $350 for 1 Meter. I also tried the Air Matrix ($165/$195) and it was softer sounding than the Revelation. They have a lower cost IC with the BL-1 ($85/99) if you are looking for something cheaper. All the DH Lab cables are nice IC's to consider if you are looking to try out some new IC's for your system. But like any cable, you need to try it out in YOUR system to see what it is like.

After this test I still like my own DIY cables with the DH Lab Ultimate RCA Connector (which both of the DH Lab cables I tried have on them).

Dan

DTB300 said:
I recently tried the DH Lab Revelation and it was a very nice sounding IC. Cost is $270 for .5 Meter & $350 for 1 Meter. I also tried the Air Matrix ($165/$195) and it was softer sounding than the Revelation. They have a lower cost IC with the BL-1 ($85/99) if you are looking for something cheaper. All the DH Lab cables are nice IC's to consider if you are looking to try out some new IC's for your system. But like any cable, you need to try it out in YOUR system to see what it is like.

After this test I still like my own DIY cables with the DH Lab Ultimate RCA Connector (which both of the DH Lab cables I tried have on them).

Dan
Will do it, Dan...thanks a lot for the advise. I.Cs are very important, I know. Again, thanks!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Summits

Congratulations Roberto
How do the Summits sound post breakin?
Happy listening

Sunnyboy 1956 said:
Congratulations Roberto
How do the Summits sound post breakin?
Happy listening
Hola Sunnyboy...thanks!!!!. Well, after having them for some time now, all I can say is: I,m still in heaven. To my ears, it is one of the best ML speakers, if it is not the best!. Very easy to use, the controls are very friendly. They have a centered position when they are flat. These controls affects only the bass section. The bass is very deep and super well controlled. They don´t sound like a sub. They do this better than a sub. I have a customer who has a big set up, and just got one pair of Summits and two Depth subs...and for HT, I think that you might need these additional bass, but when you listen music, the subs are not needed. After their broke- inn, the sound is fantastic. At the record "this is love" by Lee Ritenour, the guitar´s sound is just right! and you can feel the musicians energy when he is plucking the strings and image the quantity of pressure at the string. It is something that only just a very few times I got this from a speaker. My CLSIIz are close to them in this respect, but I have to confess that the Summits are superior. All of you know that I love the guitar and this is why I use it for my listening tests!. At the album "One Quiet Night" by Pat Metheny, he is playing a baritone guitar...wow, what a great definition also. The mids are just like if he was here next to me playing this bigger guitar, I do understand his fingering through the whole guitar board. Also I played the album "Dark Side of the Moon" Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, original master recording by Pink Floyd...just the first track will shake your house if you play it with some level...and wow! first time I listened Pink Floyd this way...you feel you heart pumping strong...I´m getting a lot of new emotions with these Summits...the highs are projected with a lot of energy but not piercing your ears...I´m using a Margules 30 W/ch class A tube amp to drive them and they are truly clean and dynamic...this recording is one of the best to try speakers due to the kind of music...and yes, David Gilmore plays the electric guitar in a such way that you sense a lot of little tricks that he does with the pick...and the sound effect in the track "money" you almost can count how many coins are there! :D If you ask me the down side of them, I don´t want to look for it, becasue what they are doing to my music are something very good. At the album "tiempos" by Rubén Blades and Editus (Costa Rica Band), his voice is very natural and you can listen very good the guitar, violin and percussion with no problem and effort. Yes, my dear friends, they are a truly super hi-end speakers...one of the best in the marketplace in now days!
Happy listening, and regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

I believe the title character from "Nell" said it best when she said, "Want! - Want! - Want!"

Roberto,

You are a lucky man to be able to hear the Summits at your whim. I wish I had a pair!!

As Sakhavi mentioned above:

I want I want I want!! :)

Joey_V said:
Roberto,

You are a lucky man to be able to hear the Summits at your whim. I wish I had a pair!!

As Sakhavi mentioned above:

I want I want I want!! :)
Yes, I know that feeling...but also I have to mention to you the incredible work that this tube amp is doing. It is a Margules U-280 single ended tube amp with only 30 W/ch in triode mode. The sound coming from the Summits is very good with silky strings, and very strong well controlled crystal clear cymbals (quality of silence by steve davis - second track). The midrange is as far, as good as my Sonic Frontiers modified Power Two power amp, and to my liking, I think the Margules is doing better. Gee, I love the kind of scenario that I´m getting from it and the Summits loves to be driven by this little "David", becasue it´s a giant killer!!! Right now I´m listening all kind of music and recordings, and I´m having so much fun that I have to share this with you!...it´s great to know that out there are so many super great musicians and they are giving us many hours of great pleasure! The Summits with this humble unit, designed by another great music lover, Mr. Julian Margules.
Warm regards to all of the club, my dear friends, from Costa Rica, and I wish you a very happy listening,
Roberto.

Ok, how about this? I know I just got my Ascent i's and am loving them but. Maybe down the road I move from 2 channel to HT and I put the Ascents in back and perhaps the Summits or whatever ML has out at the time up front. There, I feel better now....:)

Self help therapy at it's best!

MarkNewbie said:
Ok, how about this? I know I just got my Ascent i's and am loving them but. Maybe down the road I move from 2 channel to HT and I put the Ascents in back and perhaps the Summits or whatever ML has out at the time up front. There, I feel better now....:)

Self help therapy at it's best!

Hola Mark...yes you are right...you have to take it out of your system, and that's what I have being doing!!!...and also, judging the kind of components that you have, you must have also a super great sound and image. Please excuse me if I have being too exited regarding my new sound, and I had to share it, right?...i had to take it out of my system!...all ML has its own quality and great sound. I have a friend who has one pair of Script, one sub, a Van Alstein Haffler 500 amp, a Classe 60 preamp and a Margules harmonic revovery system, and let me tell you that also it is a great sound, very musical and very transparent...when he audition my new system, he said to me: Roberto, you have a very good sound, but also mine is good. And he is right!!! happy listening,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola Mark...yes you are right...you have to take it out of your system, and that's what I have being doing!!!...and also, judging the kind of components that you have, you must have also a super great sound and image. Please excuse me if I have being too exited regarding my new sound, and I had to share it, right?...i had to take it out of my system!...all ML has its own quality and great sound. I have a friend who has one pair of Script, one sub, a Van Alstein Haffler 500 amp, a Classe 60 preamp and a Margules harmonic revovery system, and let me tell you that also it is a great sound, very musical and very transparent...when he audition my new system, he said to me: Roberto, you have a very good sound, but also mine is good. And he is right!!! happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto,

I am happy for you! I really am! I am also jealous and envious at the same time. I am even afraid to go listen to the Summits because I might impulse buy them! You have every right to be excited!

Mark