Just got the latest issue of Stereophile

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioraptured

Reaction score
Good evening members: Sorry for this, but am I the only one who is glad their subscription ran out and will not be renewing? Am I wrong or is this mag falling into the politics and business of; way over priced, who has paid for advertising lately, units? Or have they still not gotten a grip on the "Summits"? I hate to complain, but look at some of their selections. Look at the percentage of where they are made. I thought this was covered in April, but I seem to be annoyed again. In my opinion, I thought the Summits sounded great. Would someone help me out and explain this perplexing problem? Thanks in advance.

Is this an indictment of the magazine because they didn't like the "Summits" and you do? Given, S'phile reviews stuff I'll be able to afford when I win the lottery! Good! If I only read about stuff I can afford audio mags would be really dull. I want to read about the cutting edge mixed in with some realistically priced goodies, S'phile gives me that as does the Absolute Sound, mostly.

I am really tired of the you buy an ad you get a good review school of criticism. Does anyone have any statistical evidence or just anecdotal opinions about this issue? Just because one thinks so doesn't make it so.

PS- What does it matter where a component is made?

Last edited:
You've got to remember that Stereophile is just an opinion - just like we all have different opinions - it is just that their opinion ends up in print.

We are all connected by our love of ML products, but not everyone likes ML products. I guess that dosen't make them wrong - just different. Just look through the members' systems section and you'll see the wildly different electronics that we are all using - I run a Classe amplifier - it dosen't make anyone not using a Classe amplifier any less likely to get great sound.

I have not been very clear, but get my point?

I noticed the distinct lack of ML speakers in the Stereophile ratings...yet screechy sounding B&Ws and Paradigms do well. If it isn't business driving that...what is?

just got the latest issue

Good evening: risabet, I believe it only makes good business sense to give the "good review" to those who buy the space. After all, how many bad reviews have you seen printed in the magazine where they don't endorse or advise not to buy the product anyway? And yes, it does matter to me where a product is made as I try to buy made in the USA first, and by workers in a union shop. Yes, I think the "Summits" are great, and do deserve to be listed. Are there any "Summit" owners who feel this way?
DrJRapp, you are right on the money, once again.

FWIW - Summit is listed in TAS Editor's choice list. It is given a very favorable capsule. Every magazine that has reviewed it has reported on it quite positively.

I have not yet received the latest issue of Stereophile. Is there an actual negative review of the Summit? I know ML did not send review samples to them. Some bad blood might be preventing a review. I would not take any of this seriously.

The best Stereophile's were in the small format, similar to the old "Listener" magazine.

I don't get any stereo magazines anymore.

That's what you guys are for. :D

I call it "Stereophool" for a reason ;)

I find HiFi News out of the U.K. to be the most fun magazine to read. It's a bit more expensive as it is an import but they don't tend to sound as much like "audio snobs" to me.

Hi,

My understanding was that ML was displeased with a S'phile review of one of their recent model speakers (Montage?) and have declined to submit one of the new generation ESLs for review accordingly. Comments on the S'phile forum have made it pretty clear that the review staff have great respect for ML and these new designs -- so, maybe someday. I agree with posters above that S'phile has its flaws but so do all the mags. I used to subscribe to HiFi + until I could read no more about "cable looms" costing in excess of 10,000.00 My feeling is that the mags inform us about interesting new products and sometimes music, are informative and entertaining. I would NEVER buy a product on reviews alone so the reviews (or lack thereof) don't bother me. Given the choice between the venom of some of the main audioforums and the relative sanity of many of the mags, I'd go for the pros every time.

best,

k

yeah, I have to admit that sometimes I read those reviews and say to myself 'geeze, this guys full of s--t!' At some point in time the description and technicality of the reviewer gets in the way of whats important. Are they fun to listen to? to some degree all of that nuance and detail can be really just snob appeal. Like with scotch. I enjoy and collect single malts, but a great single malt man will sit and taste and take notes every once and a while, sometimes you just want to sit and enjoy. It never seems to me that these guys do. they sound like gearheads to me and when they get all snobby (talking about speakers I'll never afford [40-50k] and then claiming that they dont do something so well.) Like i'll ever know. I like reviewers who are down to earth and talk to me like i'm not some supergenius and just like music and need some great (reasonably affordable) speakers to listen to.

Years ago I enjoyed Corey Greenburg in Stereophile. He communicated the joy of listening to great music on great gear and obviously enjoyed the experience. He easily communicated that joy to readers. That joy is largely absent now in all the major print magazines, which is IMO another reason why high end audio is in decline, esp with the younger listener. :(

Corey Greenburg was a riot! I have back issues of Stereophile that have my "old" gear in them to see how they measured.

One other problem with the magazines, for me, is that negative comments are FAR too rare. I understand the need for good relationships between reviewers and the equip. manufacturers; but COME on! I read a review of a $60,000 pair of speakers and he notes that they don't do "X" well..... well for me... at $60k they better do everything well!

Beat_Dominator said:
Corey Greenburg was a riot! I have back issues of Stereophile that have my "old" gear in them to see how they measured.

One other problem with the magazines, for me, is that negative comments are FAR too rare. I understand the need for good relationships between reviewers and the equip. manufacturers; but COME on! I read a review of a $60,000 pair of speakers and he notes that they don't do "X" well..... well for me... at $60k they better do everything well!

I'll never forget a review in an issue of TAS a long time ago. I forget what the product was but I remember the review explicitly: "Plainly a piece of s__t."

Corey Greenburg was always fun to read. I liked the fact that he played guitar and was a Hendrix fan which made hin #1 in my book. :D

The Absolute sound around 79-80 originally was good at being honest about components. That was before Harry Pearson broke his vow and finally started accepting advertising?

Back