Just got my Squeezebox. WOW!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
Easy to hook up.. found my wireless network right away.. painful to enter my 26 digit WEP passcode using the remote, but finally got it in and it saw my music immediately and began playing right away! 15 minutes was all it took

This thing is friggn' COOL!

I used the RCA cables supplied and they look cheesy, so I'll get some better ones this weekend. So it's using the Burr-Brown DAC that's in the unit..

I put a CD in and started playing my MP3 version of it which I ripped at 320VBR. Adjusted the volume of the Squeezebox to match the McIntosh CD changer and then did the test... switched between CD and Squeezebox. switched back. switched back again..

There is a slight difference - cymbals don't sound as crisp. Very slight. I will change the cables and rip something using FLAC format and see if the difference is less noticable, but right now I'm pretty jazzed about this thing. VERY COOL!

Tom.

Congrats!!

I did the MP3 thing for while before "converting" to FLAC. It makes much more sense from nearly every standpoint. And it sounds better. ;)

MP3's (regardless of bitrate) are still LOSSY. Admittedly, on SOME material, you may not really hear the difference, but if you are embracing digital streaming as the future, I would "invest" the time to rip ONLY to LOSSLESS (FLAC, ALAC, etc).

Congratulations

Grats TomDac.... and welcome to the SB club. Joey! I didn't know you were gonna get one too! ;) So far, I'm loving mine, and the wife is more than pleased with it as she has access to everything (everything loaded so far anyway <grin>) in our music collection with a flip of the remote. And, I'm pleased with the sound using apples lossless format. I had bought a 320 GB external HDD, and I've already loaded more than 25-30 disks and have only used about 3-4% of the hard drives capacity... so this will more than handle my cd collection for some time. (although with the new speakers, I find I've bought more new CD's in the past 60 days than in the past 5 years) :D

Zip3kx07 said:
Cool,

So was it everything you were hoping for?
It is much better than I expected. The ONLY thing that I don't like is not being able to see the display from across the room. I'll have to experiment with some of the different remote options, including the Nokia 770.

TomDac,

Have you pressed the button on the remote for Size? The display will show the text in 3 different sizes... I find the largest size quite readable from 10 feet away.

David Prall said:
TomDac,

Have you pressed the button on the remote for Size? The display will show the text in 3 different sizes... I find the largest size quite readable from 10 feet away.
Yeah, I have it on the largest setting... I need to see my eye Dr. - It's been a couple of years since I got the laser eye surgery.. might need to get re-done.

TomDac said:
I need to see my eye Dr. - It's been a couple of years since I got the laser eye surgery.. might need to get re-done.
Hmmmm, maybe we can combine the Chinese Ear Cleaning thread with Lasik, and come up with Laser Ear Cleaning for Audiophiles
smile.gif

Welcome to the SqueezeBox family. I'd suggest downloading AlienBBC and LazySearch. Does anyone else have the Nokia wireless device as a SB remote? Currently I just lug a laptop into my room to handle certain music tasks.

FYI... Slimdevices says the new Transporter Remote, with backlighting, and compatible with the Squeezebox, will be separately available for purchase later this year.

Frankly, after installing the LazySearch plug-in, I don't see any need for a more sophisticated remote (unless you want to browse by cover art). With LazySearch you can find an artist, album, or track, in seconds.

Back