Just FYI.... Tweeter is having an Ascent sale

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, but got a flyer regarding a sale between 8/19 to 8/21.

The Ascent(i) will be on sale from the retail price of $4497/pair to $3150/pair.

I dont know if you guys already posted this, but I just want to let the news out so anyone who wants to take advantage of this offer can do so.

I called them up and they told me that they will have to special order the Ascents per customer since they are getting more orders than they have stock for.

Too bad the Ascents are too much for me both in size and cost.

Good luck to the rest of you ;) !

Last edited:
Martin Logan has discontinued the Ascent, they are replacing it with a new speaker based off the Summit.

Not sure how accurate this info is, but we should find out soon.
Should be called the Vantage, single powered driver, with an Xstat ESL panel narrower than the ascents. Estimated MSRP between $4500 and $5000.

Take this info with a grain of salt till martin Logan unveils it.

Zip3kx07 (Joe),

I did get some conformation on the Vantage and you are correct on most of it. It will be one woofer facing forward everything else is correct. :D

The price is still up in the air and nothing is confirmed yet. The comment that was made to me was, "they are learning from the Summit and it should actually be a great speaker".

My guess it may be more popular (sales-wise) than the Summit because of the price. :rolleyes:

Jeff :cool:

Jeff Zaret said:
Zip3kx07 (Joe),

I did get some conformation on the Vantage and you are correct on most of it. It will be one woofer facing forward everything else is correct. :D

The price is still up in the air and nothing is confirmed yet. The comment that was made to me was, "they are learning from the Summit and it should actually be a great speaker".

My guess it may be more popular (sales-wise) than the Summit because of the price. :rolleyes:

Half the price twice the sales. The info I have came from Tascam, so I try to be careful when quoting someone else.

Do you know if the pannel will be the width of the Aeon's? All I was told about the pannel is same hight as the summit but narrower.

Hmmm. In FL, our local Tweeters affiliate (Sound Advice) is offering the Ascent i's at $2999/pr. This is a VERY tempting price. I currently have Aerius i's, and my only complaint is the (relatively) narrow sweet spot. Any thoughts on whether the Ascents, with their larger panels, would offer a wider sweet spot?? What other improvements might I expect stepping up to the Ascents?

sleepysurf said:
I currently have Aerius i's, and my only complaint is the (relatively) narrow sweet spot. Any thoughts on whether the Ascents, with their larger panels, would offer a wider sweet spot?? What other improvements might I expect stepping up to the Ascents?

Yes the Ascents will have a larger sweet spot then the Aerius.

The biggest draw back of electrostatic speakers is the narrow sweet spot. If the panel was 10” wide and flat (not curved like ML’s) your sweet spot would be 10” wide, if you were to move you head to the right or left outside that 10” wide spot the sound would almost 100% drop off, stats beam there sound out at you. This is why Martin Logan curves it’s panels’ 30 degrees, to get the sound stage to open up and allow for more listeners to enjoy the music. The bigger the panel the larger the sweet spot. This is why you would want a speaker like say the Monolith as apposed to the Aeon.

Its also why Miroperf is a big deal, smaller hole that give a larger service area. Microperf gives you the illusion of a bigger Stat in a small panel.

Last edited:
Hmmm. So a narrow panel with MicroPerf (like Summit, or soon to be announced Vantage), will provide a WIDER sweet spot, albeit at increased cost.

Guess I'll hold off on the Ascents, and start saving $$$ for the Vantage!

sleepysurf said:
Hmmm. So a narrow panel with MicroPerf (like Summit, or soon to be announced Vantage), will provide a WIDER sweet spot, albeit at increased cost.

Guess I'll hold off on the Ascents, and start saving $$$ for the Vantage!

The Summits Panel is the same width as the Ascents (but 4" shorter),microperf gives the summit more surface area then the Prodigy had. The Vantage looks to have a panel around the size of the Aeon but should have more surface area then the Ascents panel. The wonders of microperf. :D

Attachments

• dipolar_area.jpg
    dipolar_area.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I am so darned happy with my "new" Ascent i's that I don't even want to go and listen to the Summits. I know there is always going to be something better but I am so darned satisfied with what I have. I figure I can hold out for at least five years...Smiles ;) (Lord give me strength)

:cool:

MarkNewbie said:
I am so darned happy with my "new" Ascent i's that I don't even want to go and listen to the Summits. I know there is always going to be something better but I am so darned satisfied with what I have. I figure I can hold out for at least five years...Smiles ;) (Lord give me strength)

:cool:

Then you should ask the Lord to give you the strength to stay out of the audio shops. I herd the summits and I was more then impressed. I feel like Roberto after CES, I heard the summits and I want to here more, please. :D

Last edited:
Zip3kx07 (Joe),
I am not sure if I should tell who told me but I will say he works for ML in the factory and is well respected. You can read between the lines or send me an email :D

I can not say about what they are expecting but from a marketing stand point I would think that something in the 4k range would sell a lot more units ( basic economics) than at 10k. Most of the time investment and the R&D is already done for the Vantage because it is similar to the Summit so that cost will be offset by future sales. I have worked for manufacturing firms and understand the process involved and I believe I have an idea what the wholesale prices are on some of the ML stuff and can estimate what the build cost would be.

I was told the the Vantage was to be the Ascent replacement and I would speculate that we will see it either in the October timeframe or at CES in January. I am just guessing on this and if I am right maybe they will give me one. LOL

Don't tell, I dont want to see any one lose there job over spilling the beans a few months early.

It’s easy to see Martin Logan is trying to share parts across as many different platforms as they can to cut coasts. For example the Clarity, Montage, and Mosaic all share the same main body, the more of the same thing you produce the cheaper it is to produce it.

I don’t expect the Vantage to be that much different from the Summit, I would not be surprised if it used the same 200watt mono amp from the summit. Hope they use the same aluminum airframe from the summit.

I hope they unveil the Vantage at CEDIA. I look forward to Martin Logan’s next ESL.

Here in the DC area, Tweeter has the Ascent-i on sale for $2,999, down from $3,499 just last week. I bought a pair last week and just got the price adjusted this morning.

My salesman told me that ML is really trying to get rid of these. My guess is that the Vantage will be seen before the holiday season.

Anthony

Back