Just bought the Statement E2, need advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest Ayre Acoustics MX-R monoblocks

Runco,

I really like the sound of the Ayre MX-R. Heard it once at a friend's home and it sounded superb, better than the Krell Evo 1s which he was comparing it to. However, I don't think that it would provide me w adequate power, even if I bi-amp w 2 pairs of monoblocks. I play music at live levels and as mentioned, I managed to clip a pair of McIntosh 1201s at the demo of the Statements before I bought them.

CC

There is no problem with the matching in terms of sensitivity. I love having the power of the Krell - and seeing it is Class A it has a tube warmth but with the real power of solid state.
The ARC Ref3 is just superb - everything from imaging, transparency, depth, you name it, it has got it in spades. It really is a magnificant preamp.

I use Transparent balanced cabling (reference level), which I feel combines the Krell, ARC and ML seemlessly.

Feel free to ask anymore questions!
Marc.

Marc,

the Transparents have always been a good match with the Krells -- I see them being at shows together often. How much is the top of the line Transparents I dare ask?

Question: why didn't you match the Ref3 w the REf610?

CC

"CJ 350 - My choice - very natural sound, closest to live music I have experienced at its price point."

I was referring to the tube gear.

Marc,

the Transparents have always been a good match with the Krells -- I see them being at shows together often. How much is the top of the line Transparents I dare ask?

CC

Transparent prices are at http://www.transparentcable.com/index2.html under Products - Retail prices. Between the interconnects and cables for the Opus line it will be between $50-$70K. Their stuff is very good at lower price points also. Transparent just went from mm to mm2 technology, which is supposed to be a huge upgrade. If you get the new mm2 reference XL line, it will probably sound line the old mm opus line.

CC, how did you wind up with the Statements? What else did you audition?

Marc,

CC

Hi,

As per David's thread the prices do range from fairly expensive right up to the massive Opus cost. I am using the reference with MM and find it to be great. At this level I would recommend dyou try the various reference levels to see what type of improvement (or not) it has. Sometimes with the Transparent range you find the lower range is better. For example, I find the PLS better than the reference power cable.

A couple of reasons why I went for the ARC Krell combo. Tbh, I already had the FPB in my system so that was a major factor. However, I also like the extra power and muscle that the solid state gives. Also remember that a tube power amp will need its tubes replaced fairly frequently.

Cheers
Marc.

another thought is the new Bryston 28...if it sounds as good as my 14bsst does with my CLSz2 the you should have:music:

Classe anyone?

Hi-

A very interesting thread and a wonderful dilemma to face :D !

I am curious, i've had limited experience with the Classe amps, and i
was just surprised that they haven't been mentioned.
How do they match up with big panels?

-Bob

Hi-

A very interesting thread and a wonderful dilemma to face :D !

I am curious, i've had limited experience with the Classe amps, and i
was just surprised that they haven't been mentioned.
How do they match up with big panels?

-Bob

I run a Classé! - see my system link below. In fact, quite a few of us do.

Great amps, fantastic amps.

Now it's the Omega series that would be on par with Statement E2s.....

After having been to Manhatten 2 years ago, I find it difficult to believe where you could even put an E2 system without disturbing the neighbours...:guitarman:

I like the Audiogon (oe ebay) idea - at this price range home demos are hard. So buy/sell until you are happy. Then if it MUST be new, go buy new!

I think it takes a number of weeks before you know if you are really happy with a component anyway. So this, in my humble opinion, is the best way to be sure.

Enjoy. We'd all appreicate some commentary on what you choose and why, just so we can all imagine & dream!

Justin

cchp, I am in complete accord with Matz. The Mc solid state amp seems to have real world driveability problems. If you could clip a 1,000 watt Mc amp you'll clip one that has 3db more headroom so why bother.

The Pass would seem to be the logical answer since it is built by someone who can properly design an amp and happens to be able to hear.

cchp, probably at this point in time, the best choice would be Roger Sanders' new ss dedicated ESL amps (the monoblocks in your case) www.sanderssoundsystems.com I'd recommend you call him. They're moderately priced and you can return them if unhappy (nobody has yet!) Several people here are already using them.

Looks like I am following a path you have already started, as I just purchased a pair of Statements and am laboring over the right choice for amplifying them. I too am considering Rives Audio for my next home, which is in process as I write this.

So what did you decide to run your pair with? I'd love to compare notes sometime soon. Perhaps, if it weren't too much trouble, you could let me come by and have a listen. My pair are en-route and with the new house I won't be ready to set them up for almost 4 months (!)

I see that you are in NYC and I am right here on Long Island. Let me know if you want to get together and share ideas. I think I can offer as much to you as you may be able to offer me.

Best,
Russ

Go Mac!!! (im a mac fanatic :p )

It all depends on personal preference, all higher end amps sound good, it is just about what sounds good to your ear. While yes there are some things to consider, krell amps are a bit over priced, im not a big fan of ice amps (i think they have a little more way to go, but they are good for base IMO. If you could find them used, you could get two mac MC602 (600w x 2) Its a great amp. Or just go with a pile of monoblocks lol. Anyway let use know where you end up!

And grats on the speakers!~!!!! Very cool!

I would never even consider Mark Levinson with their amps now. The No 33s are dry. That's a fact.

I have had the opportunity to use the VTL wotans in triode mode with my E2 dipolar towers. They are fantastic to say the least. I would rate them as better than my fpb 650mc in tonality but they are not as dynamic or as transparent in the midbass. To me, it is dynamic range that really separates live music from reproduced and you mentioned you like it at live levels. I have heard the Pass 1000.5 briefly with Wilson Alexandrias and was impressed but I can't compare it to what I have.

Personally, if you are serious about true to life sound and want to have it at live levels with real power to spare, you could hardly do better than a full Krell CAST system with EVO 900 monos on the dipolar panels. I drive my dipolar towers full range via CAST from my KPS 25sc and use the balanced outputs to feed the EXOS crossover for the subs. AR and VTL make incredible equipment but there is something very special about a fully cast connected Krell EVO system that I can't help but push for someone now in the market for new equipment. I know this because I have Kimber and Transparent's reference balanced interconnects and CAST is a huge improvement.

I would never even consider Mark Levinson with their amps now. The No 33s are dry. That's a fact.

I have had the opportunity to use the VTL wotans in triode mode with my E2 dipolar towers. They are fantastic to say the least. I would rate them as better than my fpb 650mc in tonality but they are not as dynamic or as transparent in the midbass. To me, it is dynamic range that really separates live music from reproduced and you mentioned you like it at live levels. I have heard the Pass 1000.5 briefly with Wilson Alexandrias and was impressed but I can't compare it to what I have.

Personally, if you are serious about true to life sound and want to have it at live levels with real power to spare, you could hardly do better than a full Krell CAST system with EVO 900 monos on the dipolar panels. I drive my dipolar towers full range via CAST from my KPS 25sc and use the balanced outputs to feed the EXOS crossover for the subs. AR and VTL make incredible equipment but there is something very special about a fully cast connected Krell EVO system that I can't help but push for someone now in the market for new equipment. I know this because I have Kimber and Transparent's reference balanced interconnects and CAST is a huge improvement.

I switched to CAST and what a difference it has made. I was running XLR with my KPS25sc, with CAST it is a HUGE improvement. What CAST cables are you running? I tried the Transparent CAST cables. I am using Krells Silver ones now and find them even better. The Nordost MMF are supposed to be the top of the food chain. Krell has them made for them.

I use the Krell version. I've never tried the Transparent model.

On another note I think that because the E2s are indeed so hungry you may want to stick to solid state because I found with the VTL at high levels some grain and hardness would set in (as compared to the Krell 650 and Jeff Rowland amp I had on hand). This is likely not going to happen as easily on more sensitive and more impedance friendly speakers. I am not assuming to know that would be the case with the AR ref gear but it has been my experience in the past with even high powered tubes (including CJ monos) that this hardness and grain does set in with current hungry speakers at high levels.

Just my experience and opinion.

Cheers

I use the Krell version. I've never tried the Transparent model.

Cheers

If you are using the older fatter Krell original CAST(its a copper) do your self a favor and at least get the newer Silver ones that are about 1/8 in diameter. Krell made them right before they had Nordost make the MMF, They are much thinner than the older original version. As I stated The new Nordost MMF are supposed to be even better. I will be demoing them next !

Back