Jumping in with both feet!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan F.

Reaction score
Hey folks - happy to be joining the club! I have been using a 25 year old pair of SL3s for the last couple of years and given their age I thought it was time to move up in the line. Accordingly, I have a pair of CLX Arts on the way - beyond excited to hear what they sound like. My room is 23x16x8.75, and I'll be running these with a pair of JL Audio e110 subs.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, welcome and congrats on the CLX's. Tell us more about your system

Welcome Dan,
I have a similar journey with SL3's I have had since 1998 with a JL F113. My 11A's arrived last week and have 10 hours on them. They are definitely dry sounding, a bit of glare and muddy bass out of the box but improving. One of our members has a detailed account of his break in experience. It's a bit of a shock after the velvet SL3 sound. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

Welcome Dan. I'm sure you are going to love the sound of you CLX. Our rooms are close to the same size. Be sure you have proper acoustic treatments and you will be rewarded.

Welcome Dan. I'm sure you are going to love the sound of you CLX. Our rooms are close to the same size. Be sure you have proper acoustic treatments and you will be rewarded.
I currently have 2'x4' GIK absorbing panels on the front wall to tame the back wave (and 1 on the back wall). I thought it was a big improvement for the SL3s, so I'm hopeful that is all I'm going to need. There's also a 15'x11' are rug, upholstered couch and easy chair, windows covered with pleated shades and sheers.

Dan

Very exciting! So what subs will you be running?

Nice setup Brad. How did you end up integrating the subwoofer (crossover level) - I assume low pass only (CLS run full range)?

Dan

Very exciting! So what subs will you be running?
A pair of JL Audio E110s. They have the ability to do a high pass crossover (i.e. not run the mains full range), but I'm not sure if I'll need that with the CLX frequency response. I can low pass at 50 hz and have minimal overlap. If I do run the high pass as well, I'd need another run of RCA and now that I'm going all Audience Au24 sx for cables it is another cost that would be nice to avoid. In addition I would then have to go RCA in to the amp whereas I'd prefer to stay with XLR. But I can run it both ways and see which sounds better (using spare AQ black mamba II RCA temporarily).

Dan

Nice setup Brad. How did you end up integrating the subwoofer (crossover level) - I assume low pass only (CLS run full range)?

I run them on the speaker level connections fed from my amps. The first sub is fed both channels then the other subs are fed from that. The ability to make adjustments to the sound is much better then feeding line level from the preamp.
Even though I installed the electronics for the crossover slope for CLX's in all of the subs I found (In My System) it was not the best crossover point.

Back