Jumper revelation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Unbelievable! Since getting my Summits, I've been using the stock stainless steel jumper, to connect the stat and woofer inputs. Frankly, I never thought to replace them with quality jumpers, because I had tried home made jumpers for my Aerius' a while ago, and didn't appreciate any difference.

Anyways, on a whim, I bought a set of DH Labs Q-10 jumpers on A'gon, and popped them on today. I almost fell out of my chair! Unbelievable how much improvement they made... from deeper cleaner bass, to bloomier midrange, to more crystalline highs. Up to now, I truly believed that cables made LITTLE, if any, difference, but now I am absolutely convinced they are indeed a CRITICAL component of the entire audio chain. The DH Lab Q-10 Silver Sonics are multi-strand OFC, heavily clad in silver. Only potential downside is they aren't particularly flexible. My speaker cables are currently generic 10g Belden (from Blue Jeans Cables), but I'm gonna start auditioning other cables now, probably starting with a full run of the DH Labs Q-10.

How fun is it when you're not expecting much difference and you get a huge one!! HAHAHA......congratulations!

What about bi-wireing and forgetting about jumpers all together?

Up to now, I truly believed that cables made LITTLE, if any, difference, but now I am absolutely convinced they are indeed a CRITICAL component of the entire audio chain.
Welcome to the "Other side of the tracks" :D :cool:

DH Labs makes some very nice cables. I was using their cables on the two channel setup, until I switched to JPS Labs, but I still use DH Lab IC's and speaker cables for my HT stuff.

What about bi-wiring and forgetting about jumpers all together?

Well, that's certainly an option. I previously bi-amped and bi-wired my Aerius', but the Summits can't be bi-amped.

Since bi-wire cables are more expensive, you theoretically get more bang from your buck investing those same $$ in a higher quality single-run cable, paired with good jumpers.

I'm looking forward to trying various cable combinations.

What about bi-wireing and forgetting about jumpers all together?

I have been bi-wiring since the days of the Sequel II, now the Summits. I do find the sound more open and stage wider.
Ben

I used to run DH Labs as well . I ran 2 sets of T-14 to each speaker, which were connected at the amp end. This was on my Aerius i's

Just before selling the Aerius i's and buying Oddesseys last month I switched to Cardas Golden Cross bi-wire which was a considerable step up sound wise. The Golden Cross is a great match with Logans. I bought the Golden Cross over Golden Reference which I use for balanced ic's only.

I would suggest using a true bi-wired speaker cable and moving on up the foodchain in speaker cables considering you are running summits. The DH Labs is a good entry level cable, your summits deserve more.

Last edited:
The DH Labs is a good entry level cable, your summits deserve more.
Agreed.

Sleepysurf, just try to get your hands on some different stuff to audition and find something you like in your budget. I see by your last post, you are on your way!!! Enjoy the ride, it is a lot of fun.

Dan

Not to burst everyone's bubble, but I think the "revelation" I heard with the new jumpers was, in part, due to the coincidental loss of one of my Summit woofers (as posted here)...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3095

Since fixing the woofer (fortunately only a loose internal connection), I've gone back and forth a few times comparing the jumper plate vs. jumper cables, and the difference is a LOT less discernable now.

Most amazing of all, after "discovering" the DH Labs jumper "improvement", I emailed ML, actually chastising them for not including better quality stock jumpers. None other than Jim Powers himself replied, and said that *IF* I am indeed hearing such a difference, then something is wrong with the Summits, and the first thing I should check is if ALL four woofers are firing! Lo, and behold, that's exactly what had happened. Clearly, the balance between the Summit woofers and panels are precarious, and the LEAST little change is greatly magnified if that balance is out of whack.

That being said, I'm still using the DH Labs jumpers, and am still "auditioning" other cables. I just tried Craig's Harmonic Tech Pro-9 biwire cables, but frankly didn't appreciate much difference (at least in my system) vs. my dirt-cheap Blue Jeans/Belden cable.

The Quest continues!

Back