JPS Cables? Anyone tried them out?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
Right now I am testing out one of the JPS IC's in my system and was curious if anyone else had tried them and your thoughts. I have some opinions currently about them compared to my King Cobra's but still in audition mode for making a final decision.

BTW, I am trying out the Superconductor FX model. Cost is a little high at $300 for 1 Meter so that may be the biggest issue. I am also going to compare against some DH Lab cables once I hear back from a local store.

Dan

Last edited:
Well the local store here for DH Lab really did not want to deal with me today on the interconnect Roberto and I have been discussing with each other. So I called DH Lab direct and ordered them. So I will have to wiat until next for the DH Lab to come in and then I can do a comparison between the King Cobra, JPS Labs, and the DH Labs. More info to come....

BTW...I also received new tubes today for my ARC Pre Amp which are 12AX7's. ARC uses Electro Harmonix tubes and I replaced them with a set of matched 1950's RCA Long Plates. A very nice improvement over the EH tubes - sound was less harsh and analytical - more musical sounding, separation of instruments and vocals was much better, soundstage sounded deeper and slightly wider. Again I am very happy with my first endeavor into some tube rolling for the Pre Amp.

I had also considered Telefunken's and Mullards, but after much discussion with the person I purchased from (very helpful) and learning the typical sound signature of the tubes, I decided to go with the RCA's.

So far so good, and they have only been running about an hour now, so things should get even better as they settle in.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
BTW...I also received new tubes today for my ARC Pre Amp which are 12AX7's. ARC uses Electro Harmonix tubes and I replaced them with a set of matched 1950's RCA Long Plates. A very nice improvement over the EH tubes - sound was less harsh and analytical - more musical sounding, separation of instruments and vocals was much better, soundstage sounded deeper and slightly wider. Again I am very happy with my first endeavor into some tube rolling for the Pre Amp.

I had also considered Telefunken's and Mullards, but after much discussion with the person I purchased from (very helpful) and learning the typical sound signature of the tubes, I decided to go with the RCA's.

So far so good, and they have only been running about an hour now, so things should get even better as they settle in.

Dan
Interesting experience with tube-rolling. Where did you get the RCAs? New ARC preamps will not give you much chance to tube roll. Russian 6H30s do not have much of a manufacturing history around the world.

aliveatfive said:
Interesting experience with tube-rolling. Where did you get the RCAs? New ARC preamps will not give you much chance to tube roll. Russian 6H30s do not have much of a manufacturing history around the world.

Vintage Tube Services - If you are in a REALL BIG hurry to get them, then this may not be the place for you. But I ordered mine and received them in just over two weeks, so that is really not bad...especially for a one man operation. I liked the service I received, and the time spent with me on the phone, so I would not hesitate to order from them again.

In regards to the ARC Pre Amps, that is one reason I bought the SP16 - cost and tube types. You can get a bunch of different tubes for the 12AX7 where the other 6H30's are harder to find.

I was skeptical about tube rolling and liken it to cables...different tubes for different sounds depending on your system. But I am really happy with the results I have gotten with these RCA's and they cost me less than what I would have paid for EH tubes from ARC. While one feels good about having the tubes tested from ARC, VTS also does their testing and matching. They also took their time to answer ALL my questions and concerns each time I called until I finally placed my order.

Dan

Last edited:
Dan -

Even cranky-critical audiophiles (the ones who say there's no difference between tubes and solid state) acknowledge that different brands of tubes make different sounds in different amps. Interestingly, BAT brought the 6H30 tube to America in their preamps. They charge 50 bucks for each low-noise replacement. I wonder if anyone has tested new Sovtek 6H30s in an amp (or preamp) and discovered a difference. BTW, ARC, BAT and now ConradJohnson use these tubes in their preamps.

Latest posts

Back