Quantcast

John Coltrane / Blue Train

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Artist / Title: John Coltrane / Blue Train
Year of Release: 1990
Record Label: Blue Note Records
Genre: Jazz


Jazz inspired composer, yes. Jazz creative genius, yes. Jazz innovator, yes. So many aptly written complimentary words have been written about John Coltrane, but let me add John Coltrane composed jazz from his heart and soul. This is a fantastic CD. I play it all the time. :D

What is so very impressive about John Coltrane is that he established himself by playing with jazz trumpet virtuoso Miles Davis, with whom he played from 1955-1959. Coltrane played tenor sax on Miles Davis 1959 jazz landmark recording ‘A kind Of Blue’. One of the things that makes this CD so great are the four original songs Coltrane composed for this 1957 album, all of them now regarded as standards. :D The second thing that makes this CD great is the assembled ‘Miles Davis’ rhythm section including Kenny Drew – piano, Paul Chambers – bass, Philly Joe Jones – drums, Lee Morgan – trumpet, Curtis Fuller – trombone. Coltrane truly surrounded himself with incredible talent for ‘Blue Train’.

The title cut ‘Blue Train’ is one of John Coltrane’s most memorable themes. The other tunes range form the up tempo “Locomotion” to the standard ballad of “I’m Old Fashioned”, and the New Orleans vibe of “Moments Notice”, last but not least the free blowing “Lazy Bird” comes closest to capturing the theme of ‘Blue Train’ album / CD.

This CD is tops with me a truly marvelous jazz landmark... :D IMHO, should be required for all jazz music libraries. John Coltrane was born 9/23/1926 in Hamlet, North Carolina. John Coltrane died on 7/17/1967 in Huntington, Long Island, New York, of liver cancer. He was 40...., yet another musical legend who died too damn young... It is note worthy; John Coltrane has a son, Ravi Coltrane, born in 1965 who is also a jazz musician.

Cheers

-Robin
 

Attachments

Last edited:

twich54

Forum Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
6,588
Reaction score
22
Location
SE Pa
Robin, Great review, I agree with you on that mans talent. My son gave me some new LP's for X-Mas one of which is "Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall" . It's a 24 - bit/192kHz digital transfer off the original 15 ips mono tape. When one considers this was originally taped live back on 11/29/57....it sounds great !!
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane...

twich54 said:
Robin, Great review, I agree with you on that mans talent. My son gave me some new LP's for X-Mas one of which is "Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall" . It's a 24 - bit/192kHz digital transfer off the original 15 ips mono tape. When one considers this was originally taped live back on 11/29/57....it sounds great !!
Dave,

I wonder where your son acquired those LP's? Are they offered for sale on-line? Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall, it must sound great on your system... :D I think I'm going look that one up on-line and see if it is available on SACD or CD.

I did not mention this in the review, and I don't know if you already knew this but, after John Coltrane's death in 1967, Miles Davis was adversely affected and took the loss of his friend very hard. It took Davis a long time to get over the death of his colleage and friend.

Enjoy Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall LP... :D

Cheers

-Robin
 

jfm

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2005
Messages
308
Reaction score
0
Nice choice as usual, Robin! I was listening to this recently and thought of saying something about it but you work fast. Blue Train was Coltrane's own favorite work. I particularly like the sound of the different horns, which sound great on stats.

Dave, thanks for the heads-up about the LP. I was about to order the CD on amazon but will hold off.
 

twich54

Forum Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
6,588
Reaction score
22
Location
SE Pa
Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane

I'm not sure which mail - order house my son got the record from but I will be seing him for dinner tonite (1/1) and I'll ask him. I do know the record is labeled mosaicrecords.com , so you can check to see if it is even available on CD.

I'll keep all posted,


Happy New year !!
 

twich54

Forum Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
6,588
Reaction score
22
Location
SE Pa
Robin said:
Dave,

I wonder where your son acquired those LP's? Are they offered for sale on-line? Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall, it must sound great on your system... :D I think I'm going look that one up on-line and see if it is available on SACD or CD.

I did not mention this in the review, and I don't know if you already knew this but, after John Coltrane's death in 1967, Miles Davis was adversely affected and took the loss of his friend very hard. It took Davis a long time to get over the death of his colleage and friend.

Enjoy Monk and Coltrane at Carnegie Hall LP... :D

Cheers

-Robin
Robin, Did you get this recording yet ??? I'm listening to it again for the "upteenth" time and was just wondering, I saw it in CD format on sale at Barnes & Noble FWIW.
 

Robin

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2005
Messages
3,292
Reaction score
0
Location
Calistoga, California
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall...

twich54 said:
Robin, Did you get this recording yet ??? I'm listening to it again for the "upteenth" time and was just wondering, I saw it in CD format on sale at Barnes & Noble FWIW.
Dave,

Yes, I did, it is soooo fantastic... :D I have listened to it for the "umpteenth" time myself too... :D :D I am so sorry for not replying sooner. I have been wanting to 'Thank You' for your excellent recommendation of that CD, which I plan to review very soon here at the ML Club...

Thanks again, I appreciate it... ;)
 
Top