Jim Power is RETIRING!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we stick to some facts and stop letting emotions get in the way?.......
.......So for these reasons I agree with Jeff. This is nothing political ithink a wait and see attitude (based on product) is prudent

I have always found it prudent to read between the lines and unfortunately my innate cynicism is usually reinforced.

The grey suits trailing their MBA's are notable for forcing square pegs into round holes, claiming success on the basis of a creative balance sheet and leaving.

Bigger is not always better, more profit is often transient as the basis for a longterm business is whittled away.

I recognise the attitude, now to wait and see.

Kevin

Last edited:
Rich - I do not deny you your facts. My point is this. Up to this point has the product suffered? SummitX Summit CLX etc. I don't think so. Might it suffer in the future? Maybe. Can anyone here state that it will? No. That is why I am in the wait and see camp. I know we aren't interested in profits. But let's be honest. If the company isn't making a decent profit nobody here will have to worry about customer support because the company will be gone.

Do I like this corporate googah? Hell no!! Do I like what happened to Jim? Hell no!! This is probably going to happen to me at some point. Doesn't it seem like all of corporate America is doing this? And how many of these other audio companies are sending everything to china?

It just feels like we can't win this war. I think it is great that some of you want to look for the honorable company out there. I live in Michigan and quite frankly I'm so jaded I'm not sure there is one left.

And how many of these other audio companies are sending everything to china?

Magnepan isn't. Soundlab isn't. Sanders Sound Systems isn't. And there are many, many other small companies producing fantastic speakers and providing unparalleled customer service right here in America. For the most part, they don't compete in the home theater market because they are focused on the high end. And they don't seem to be going bankrupt for lack of product at the low fi end of things.

MartinLogan was an exceptional company for decades under Gayle's watch. With the changes in management that have taken place, I just don't think they are such an exceptional company anymore. Perhaps they will continue to put out some great products in the future. I understand your desire to wait and see if that is the case. Personally, I will be satisfied with my Summits for another couple of years. But when I am ready to upgrade them, I will be looking elsewhere for my next speaker. I simply cannot give any more money to MartinLogan/Paradigm/Shoreview.

I just can't resist a good argument, so let's take this a little further:

OK, let's play that game.

Fact: MartinLogan just shut down production of their ESL speakers at the facility they have been produced at for thirty years and is moving that production to another country.

Ok, that's true, but they are moving it to a plant that has a lot of highly skilled workers in the audio industry, not just some factory in China like Quad, B&W and others have done.

Fact: MartinLogan fired most of the production staff that have been making these speakers for the last several decades.

We really aren't sure about this. We don't know who's all going, staying, or taking early retirement.

Fact: MartinLogan is moving production of these speakers to a manufacturing facility that has heretofore specialized in manufacturing traditional box speakers with cone drivers.

This is true for the most part, but we don't know what the level of expertise on the new people might be making the actual electrostatic panel, which is really the only difference here. Cabinets and crossovers are pretty much cabinets and crossovers. So, we've condemned the Paradigm staff to failure before seeing what they've come up with. How do know beyond any doubt that they can't build a better speaker than before? And how do you know that's not part of what's behind this?

Fact: MartinLogan instituted a marketing campaign boasting that their speakers were "made in the heartland" just a few months before shifting production to another country.

I agree this was a very bad move, and knowing the past track record of ML, would lend me to think no one in Kansas saw this coming...

Fact: The current CEO of MartinLogan is based in Canada, has been on the job less than a year, is in charge of both MartinLogan and Paradigm, and has absolutely no prior work experience in the audio industry. His last job was at a company manufacturing chimney vents and his claim to fame there was consolidation of operations and cost cutting.

This is also potentially very bad, but again, this person may not last at the helm.

Fact: MartinLogan just fired Jim Power, who is revered among ML enthusiasts for his renowned customer service.

Again, we don't know the subtleties of this situation 100%.

Fact: MartinLogan has recently made clear that they do not intend to continue to support all older models indefinitely. This is something that has never before been suggested by this company, which has built a name for itself for its dedication to customer service.

Dedication to customer service and not supporting 25 year old models are separate and not mutually exclusive concepts. Again, no one has mentioned which models will and will not be supported, so it's tough to freak out about this at this point. I just bought a pair of CLS's, so I'm hoping I'm not in this boat.

Fact: Over the last five years, Martin Logan has come out with one single innovative speaker that pushes the current state of the art in electrostatic speaker design, the CLX. This speaker was in R&D for at least two to three years before it was released in 2008. It is quite likely that development of this speaker began even before current management took over ML in October of 2005.

When I interviewed David Allen in the fall of 2008, he said that the CLX was totally designed by the current staff and that it went from concept to market in 19 months. The Summit was the last ML product that Gayle had his hands on at ML.

Fact: The crossover technology from the CLX was applied to the Summit to create the Summit X and they took one woofer out of that to create the Spire. Other than that crossover technology and some esthetics, the Summit X and Spire are just not much different from the Summit and Vantage from five years ago. So really, the CLX is the only innovation at the high end from this company in five years.

Let's take this a step further. Other than the flat panel woofer, MartinLogan really hasn't had any major technology innovations other than the curved panel... Electrostatic speaker technology has been around for about 60 years. But while we are on that subject, what has Sound Labs, Quad, or any of the other electrostatic speaker companies really come up with in terms of "innovation"? I think most of MartinLogan's innovations have come in the way of refining an existing product and truly making an electrostatic speaker that has been able to be produced in quantity that is very durable. None of the other electrostat makers have ever been able to do that at the level that ML has.

You talk about buying a pair of Maggies or Sound Labs... Where's the innovation there? The Magnepan has incorporated a ribbon tweeter and midrange to their original 45 year old design about 25 years ago. The new 1.7 has scaled up the "quasi ribbon" driver to the size of a woofer this year.

Same with Sound Labs. They make an excellent product, but it's all been refinement, not revolution, so this is a pretty weak argument. For that matter, how much real ground breaking technology has there been in the speaker world period over the last 30 years? A lot of it has just been applying advanced materials to existing processes. (i.e. ceramic and diamond tweeters, teflon capacitors, better inductors, more rigid cabinet materials.

Fact: Over the last five years, Martin Logan has introduced almost a dozen different speaker models costing less than $1500 a pair which do not utilize MartinLogan's ESL driver, not to mention several inexpensive center channels and three subwoofers that retail for under a grand. All of these new models are intended for the home theater market and are a far cry from the high end of audio.

And they also introduced the CLX, which would probably not have been possible without the cash flow from the entry level product. So, again, I don't see this as relevant. If ML started slacking off on their top products or dropped the upper end of the line because of this, I could see the issue.

Ok, those are just a few of the relevant facts that I could think of off the top of my head. Tell me, timm, looking at your list of facts and mine, and making reasonable inferences from those facts, whose point of view is best supported by the facts? I really don't think I am jumping to conclusions. And I don't need a weather man to tell me which way the wind is blowing.

Ok. Done ranting. This isn't my battle in the first place. But I will be very curious to see how it shakes out. I hope ML comes through for a number of reasons:

As a business owner (albeit small), I hate to see anyone go out of business

Which also means I'd hate to see all the people left at ML lose their jobs as well.

The thousands of people that own ML product worldwide will be left with doorstops, at least in the short to medium term.

And of course, I've been a fan for over 25 years.

I hear you Rich. I like working with american based companies as well. I just hope everyones 'buy american' sentiment continues till their next car purchase. Preferrably with the company that didn't take tax payer money :).

I just can't resist a good argument, so let's take this a little further:

Ok. Done ranting. This isn't my battle in the first place. But I will be very curious to see how it shakes out. I hope ML comes through for a number of reasons: As a business owner (albeit small), I hate to see anyone go out of business.Which also means I'd hate to see all the people left at ML lose their jobs as well.The thousands of people that own ML product worldwide will be left with doorstops, at least in the short to medium term.And of course, I've been a fan for over 25 years.

You stated that thousands of people that own ML will be left with doorstops.Although it was okay or part of business when they announced that they were discontinuing panels for some models.This would leave thousands of us with your worthless doorstops but that was okay with you.You cannot have the argument both ways.You stated that ML is one of your sponsors.Would you be willing to let us know what you paid for your CLX's or Summit's versus what a non-sponsored person would have paid? In all fairness Jeff,it does benefit you to have ML as a sponsor besides the sponsor dollars.The discount on equipment is huge compared to what everyone else receives.When you compared Jim Powers to an ordinary phone guy it was quite insulting to his dedication of the product you have been a fan of.

What if....

- The recent happenings with ML are for the better of the company and its products?

- Jim's replacement(s), will be as good or better in any and/or every way as Jim was?

- The next generations of ML speakers will sound even better than current models? Even look better? More reliable? Hold their value better? etc...etc...

- This is the beginning of a new and exciting era of Martin Logan?

It would seem that the majority of the forum members are very pessimistic. Can there not a be a bright side to any of this? Really? Are all ML owners doomed? Time is the only thing that will answer these questions. I am content to wait and see. :)

On a lighter note, who will GIVE me their ML doorstops...errr...I mean speakers to get them out of their homes? It almost sounds like there are a few people worked up enough to do it! PM me for my shipping address....I will even foot the UPS bill.

This has been a really wacky thread so far. All of you guys that are so passionate about Martin Logan are all ready to throw them under the bus because of recent developments.

Thats great advice comming from someone who is cashing ML checks ! Your coment about Jim Powers being just a "Phone answering guy" was rude and tatseless. I would have thought a bit more class from someone in your piosition. :rolleyes:

What if....

- The recent happenings with ML are for the better of the company and its products?

- Jim's replacement(s), will be as good or better in any and/or every way as Jim was?

- The next generations of ML speakers will sound even better than current models? Even look better? More reliable? Hold their value better? etc...etc...

- This is the beginning of a new and exciting era of Martin Logan?

It would seem that the majority of the forum members are very pessimistic. Can there not a be a bright side to any of this? Really? Are all ML owners doomed? Time is the only thing that will answer these questions. I am content to wait and see. :)

On a lighter note, who will GIVE me their ML doorstops...errr...I mean speakers to get them out of their homes? It almost sounds like there are a few people worked up enough to do it! PM me for my shipping address....I will even foot the UPS bill.
You cant replace 22 years of knowledge with someone new. :rolleyes:

Do not try and placate us with optimism . The writing is on the wall. You being a dealer have a vested interest in whats transpiring. As for the doorstops , As soon as they quit making replacement panels I hope you have a good UPS Shipping # as you will have plenty .

I just can't resist a good argument

You and me both. What fun is a high end audio forum without a good debate about high end audio? Thanks for playing.

Ok, that's true, but they are moving it to a plant that has a lot of highly skilled workers in the audio industry, not just some factory in China like Quad, B&W and others have done.

First of all, they have already moved a lot of production to China, and I don't for a moment think we have seen the last of those kinds of moves from them. Second, while I am sure the Paradigm factory is a great factory with skilled workers, they haven't produced electrostatic speakers there before. I am not saying they can't learn how, but I view this as a negative in the short term. I have little doubt that there will be issues from this move. I also have little doubt that there will be some attempts to "Paradigmize" MartinLogan speakers to take advantage of the synergies offered at the plant. This may not bother some, but it bothers me.

The skill and experience producing MartinLogan electrostatic speakers was located in Lawrence, Kansas. That skilled labor is now unemployed. They could have decided to upgrade the facilities in Kansas. Instead, they decided to shut it down and merge it with Paradigm. Again, this may not bother some, but it bothers me. And I will personally hold them accountable for that decision when I go shopping for my next pair of speakers.

We really aren't sure about this. We don't know who's all going, staying, or taking early retirement.

Yes, we are really sure about this. The original news article about this stated that 12 of the current 50 jobs at ML would be eliminated and that all those would be production jobs. Justin mentioned only one person that would remain on staff to train the Canada facility how to make the panels.

This is true for the most part, but we don't know what the level of expertise on the new people might be making the actual electrostatic panel, which is really the only difference here. Cabinets and crossovers are pretty much cabinets and crossovers. So, we've condemned the Paradigm staff to failure before seeing what they've come up with. How do know beyond any doubt that they can't build a better speaker than before? And how do you know that's not part of what's behind this?

Agreed. They might be able to make a better speaker in the long run. But I foresee issues with the transition that could take years to work out. And honestly, I question their ability to make a better speaker given new management's penchant for cost cutting. But I agree that it is possible.

Again, we don't know the subtleties of this situation 100%.

I think we know more than enough:

Interesting response I received back from Jim Power.

"As for me, I haven't retired. After 22 years, my position has been 'down-sized'. Some production has moved to Canada and some positions have been eliminated. Melodie & Dana will still be here to help you.
I will take some time off, relax, work on the house and think about what I want to do in the future.
Again, thanks and happy listening!"
jp

I got a reply back from Jim as well. I will not post though. Only to make sure that it doesn't back fire on him.

I will say it's B.S. and am glad to say that I'm not a ML owner.

That's more than enough for me to understand what is going on. You can continue to give them the "benefit of the doubt" if you want. I call it sticking your head in the sand.

Dedication to customer service and not supporting 25 year old models are separate and not mutually exclusive concepts.

Come on, Jeff. Give me a break. If you can't see the difference in corporate mindset between the way this company acted toward its customers a few years ago and the way they are acting today, then you are not nearly as smart as I thought you were. It is all about corporate mentality. If the push to satisfy the customer at all costs doesn't come from the very top, then it doesn't really exist in a company. Few companies have that kind of attitude toward customer service. ML had it. Now they don't. Simple as that. If the decision to fire Jim Power and the decision to not continue to support all legacy models is not indicative of that change in corporate mindset, I don't know what is.

Let's take this a step further. Other than the flat panel woofer, MartinLogan really hasn't had any major technology innovations other than the curved panel... Electrostatic speaker technology has been around for about 60 years. But while we are on that subject, what has Sound Labs, Quad, or any of the other electrostatic speaker companies really come up with in terms of "innovation"? I think most of MartinLogan's innovations have come in the way of refining an existing product and truly making an electrostatic speaker that has been able to be produced in quantity that is very durable. None of the other electrostat makers have ever been able to do that at the level that ML has.

This is a valid point. I think you are right that a lot of ML's innovation has been along the lines of refining the woofer/panel integration in a hybrid rather than advancing the state of the art in electrostatic speaker design. Their accomplishments in that area have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Perhaps I am expecting too much. Perhaps they have no desire/need/ability to advance the state of the art of electrostatic speaker design.

And I agree that the other manufacturers haven't been doing too much along those lines either. But then I never said they did. When I talk about buying Maggies and Sound Labs, I have made pretty clear that it is because they produce a great-sounding speaker, are small companies with manufacturing still located in America, and have unparalleled reputations for customer service.

And they also introduced the CLX, which would probably not have been possible without the cash flow from the entry level product. So, again, I don't see this as relevant. If ML started slacking off on their top products or dropped the upper end of the line because of this, I could see the issue.

You are telling me Gayle could produce the Statements without the cash flow from home theater speakers, all while growing the business at a phenomenal rate, but modern management couldn't produce the CLX (a speaker which you say went from concept to production in under two years) without the cash flow from the low-margin home theater business? Sorry, I don't buy that at all.

As for your last sentence, I guess that is my point. I think it is already starting to happen. But we won't see the full effects for several years. Personally, though, I have seen enough at this point to make up my own mind.

Last edited:
I wonder what Gayle is thinking? Does anyone have access to him?
Probably has some restrictions on what he can say.

a message from Jim...

Hi Tom,
Jim Power here.

I want to thank you and everyone for your support of the Martin Logan line. While I won’t be here much longer, I do hope that the support can continue into the future as well as the past. I say so because so many of my finest friends still depend on this company for their livelihood. They carry on the legacy, the culture and the reverence for superior customer service that some of us old timers helped forge. While this economy has not exactly been our friend, it is what it is. My parents went through worse economic times than this and I am proud of their legacy. I can only hope that I helped make something that will outlast me.

I do thank each and every one of you for your incredibly kind words. It makes me happy. It makes me proud. Do know that I will be in touch. Right now the bees need some help with Spring cleaning.

Be well and listen to the music.
jp

Attachments

• bees-knees.jpg
    bees-knees.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 272
Thats great advice comming from someone who is cashing ML checks ! Your coment about Jim Powers being just a "Phone answering guy" was rude and tatseless. I would have thought a bit more class from someone in your piosition. :rolleyes:

You cant replace 22 years of knowledge with someone new. :rolleyes:

Do not try and placate us with optimism . The writing is on the wall. You being a dealer have a vested interest in whats transpiring. As for the doorstops , As soon as they quit making replacement panels I hope you have a good UPS Shipping # as you will have plenty .

I didn't say that Jim Powers was a "Phone Answering Guy". I said he was like the phone REPAIR guy.

Having a good friend who is a telecommunications technician who keeps the phones and networks running in a very large company, his comment is always that no one knows who he is and because he works hard to keep everything running in the background, few people know who he is. The only time he meets someone is when things don't work.

This is exactly what Jim Powers does on one level. Most people who own ML speakers don't know who Jim Powers is because things run smoothly 99.9 % of the time.

I was paying him a compliment, which you obviously didn't catch. So before you insult me, read what I wrote.

As for MartinLogan being an advertiser, I run a business. Why would I want to see any of my advertisers go out of business? That doesn't mean my optimism is going to save ML from ruin if that is truly on the path they are on. I don't take myself that seriously.

And while many of you all know that the writing is on the wall, having seen this scenario play out in more than one high end company over the last ten years, I'll remain optimistic. I'd like to see ML succeed whether they remain an advertiser of mine or not.

That is Ron Sutherland's website.

Gayle Sanders was the "other" (primary) founder of ML, and has not been involved with his namesake company since selling out to Shoreview. I recall reading a rumor a few months ago that he was looking to re-enter the audio (? video) biz in some capacity, but have not heard anything since. I suspect he's glad to have "sold" ML at what appears to have been the "right time."

That is Ron Sutherland's website.

Gayle Sanders was the "other" (primary) founder of ML, and has not been involved with his namesake company since selling out to Shoreview. I recall reading a rumor a few months ago that he was looking to re-enter the audio (? video) biz in some capacity, but have not heard anything since. I suspect he's glad to have "sold" ML at what appears to have been the "right time."

Right. As I stated it's a start...the question was if anyone knew any contacts to Gayle. Ron being an ex partner would probably know.

And while many of you all know that the writing is on the wall, having seen this scenario play out in more than one high end company over the last ten years, I'll remain optimistic. I'd like to see ML succeed whether they remain an advertiser of mine or not.

Writing is so plainly on the wall I have just sold all my ML stuff and all the assoicated components - not ML but since it was hooked up to ML stuff it is now all "tainted". Blasphemy...out with the devil...

So since the man-cave is now empty I went out and bought some more high end stuff...The digital clock was the real selling point to take it over the top. Now I do not need one of those other audio clocks.

Attachments

• hc208b.jpg
    hc208b.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 251
Most people who own ML speakers don't know who Jim Powers is because things run smoothly 99.9 % of the time.

I think most people who have owned Martin Logans for any period of time did know Jim, he was the face of Martin logan to many of us, something you could count on.
I can't imagine why Martin logan would want to get rid of him, if it was to save a few thousand dollars a year it was sure a senseless move. Maybe it was because he didn't like what was happening there and let it be known and was shown the door because of it.

Back