Jim Power is RETIRING!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
of course it's our right. A) we have invested our money into their products; b) we are part of the market you mention. So as customers, we are providing all the input that's necessary for something that some of us think is affecting our use of their product, for which we've paid money. As such, we have every right to expect that the company stand behind its products as we see fit, and if we sense otherwise, we have every right to point that out, at the risk of being ignored - which i can tell you right now, i expect it will happen, judging from all developments in the last two years.

........+1

What is going on with this company? I mean, I defect to some 22 year old refurbed Apogees and all hell breaks loose.:devil:

Good luck, Jim. And thanks for the Ascent side-trim PDF you sent me a while back. Still haven't completely checked it out, but I must, since I guess I oughta sell 'em soonish:)

Sounds like this whole relocation/pseudo-merger with Paradigm, and downsizing of key personnel has the potential to become a PR nightmare for ML/Shoreview. Interestingly, I was just perusing the latest issue of Sound+Vision (yes, I'm embarassed to admit I'm a subscriber <g>), and it has an interesting piece entitled Green Life, Smart Life (Part I), featuring the "green" and "high-tech" home of Kim Lancaster, president of Caster Communications, who apparently handles the PR for ML, Paradigm, Anthem, and others.

For those interested in providing some private feedback to the powers that be, here's a link...
http://www.castercomm.com/clients.cfm?id=143

Also, here's the contact page for Shoreview Industries...
http://www.shoreviewindustries.com/contact.htm

Personally, although I'm dismayed with how Shoreview seems to be strong-arming ML, and (in our opinions) jeopardizing the company's reputation and future, I do NOT think it's our right, as consumers, to tell this (privately held) company how to run their business. In the end, the market will decide if they were right or wrong. If this whole escapade proves to have been the first step in the "Bose-ification" of ML, there will always be plenty of other capable high-end speakers out there for us.

I disagree. This is a private forum and it is our right to express any opinion we wish about how they run their business (for as long as Tom wishes to continue to run it that way, of course). It is also their right to completely ignore us. But I think to do so is not in their best interest.

Agreed. Ultimately, their strategy may be just fine from a profit-making perspective. I have seen many brands trashed over the years for short-term profits. But I don't think they will continue to attract and hold consumers that are willing to pay thousands and tens of thousands of dollars for a pair of speakers with this sort of strategy. They seem intent on destroying any hint of what ML used to stand for, and they will lose many long-term high end customers because of it. Perhaps they will make that revenue up on the low end. Perhaps not. Either way, I expect Soundlabs, Magnepan, and a host of other truly high end manufacturers will benefit from their loss.

Of course it's our right. a) We have invested our money into their products; b) WE are part of the market you mention. So as customers, we are providing all the input that's necessary for something that some of us think is affecting our use of their product, for which we've paid money. As such, we have every right to expect that the company stand behind its products as we see fit, and if we sense otherwise, we have every right to point that out, at the risk of being ignored - which I can tell you right now, I expect it will happen, judging from all developments in the last two years.

Hear, hear!:mad:

If this true, and I will be touching base with Devin Zell shortly!

Day two.....and still no response from Devin Zell, if I don't hear back by weeks end, I'll call him directly.

Shame on you ML / count me in as another one (ML fan) that bites the dust

What is going on with this company? I mean, I defect to some 22 year old refurbed Apogees and all hell breaks loose.:devil:

Good luck, Jim. And thanks for the Ascent side-trim PDF you sent me a while back. Still haven't completely checked it out, but I must, since I guess I oughta sell 'em soonish:)

Well Justin,

You said it. IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT.

On a serious note, Rich and others may recall that I took a wait and see attitude regarding the ML buyout.

Darn you Rich, looks like you are right again.

I must admit that this seems to be proof positive regarding the beginning of the end. For ML corporate to treat Mr. Powers, as it seems they have done, is frankly disgusting. For me and others, Jim was the "connect" between ML and the end user. His dedication and caring to help ML customers was / is unparalleled in my experience.

Seems like the Corporates' "take no prisoners" attitude to achieve and / or maximize profitability, regardless of the consequences, is well on track.

Speaking as a person who has exclusively owned four different ML speakers over some 23 years or so, I no longer feel any sense of pride and / or ownership in the company that I knew. Regarding any further support of the brand or recommendations to buy, forget it.

As a minimum, JP should have been offered an early retirement package that reflected his contribution to supporting and building the "brand". For him to be let go, as a cost saving measure, is inexcusable.

Shame on you ML Corporate and shame on you Justin / ML Marketing Director, for perpetuating the ruse.

GG

PS: A message and request to my Amigo Dave, the Twitch man. Please do send the Motion speakers back and make it very clear why you are doing so. ML must think we are stupid. This ploy reminds me of the infamous Richard Nixon quote which, if I recall correctly, goes something like

I'M NOT A CROOK!

Hi All! I usually don't join forums, however, I made an exception here tonight. Frankly, Jim is a substantial reason for me to keep buying MLs. I don't have the time to or temper to deal with audio problems, so Jim has been important for me to stay with MLs over the years. I'm going to put below in the mailbox tomorrow and I encourage others to do something similar. You are welcome to copy anything you can use from my letter; there is no damage in ML-Management knowing that we are talking to each other. Thanks All -Go JIM!
PS: If you have ideas to improve the letter, let me know, but be quick as it is going out tomorrow...

=======Letter to ML-Management=======>

Martin Logan
Attn: Management
2101 Delaware
St.
Lawrence, KS 66046

Date, March 24, 2010

Dear Martin Logan Management;

I’ve been a customer for 17 years. I started with SL-3s, then I bought more SL-3s, then Summits, Stage, Depth, and Script I. So I believe I qualify as a real source of income for Martin Logan.

Over the years I have needed Martin Logan support on 3 or 4 occasions. MLs are like old British sports cars, they are immensely enjoyable when they are working but require above average maintenance. The reason the latter never bothered me was Jim Power!

I understand that management has decided to restructure ML's production. That has to be a big decision and everyone, ML and customers, is of course anxious whether this is a good thing –or not. However, in all this, knowing that US support would stay in Kansas and that Jim Power would be there for all us was an important mitigation.

I now understand that Jim is being “downsized”. I want to make sure that management is under no illusion here. If Jim is “downsized” I will pledge to not buy ML again and I will assure you that I will inform my high-end audio friends about what has happened here and I will suggest to them that they also consider other brands (personally I’m going to switch to Dynaudio).

So dear ML-Management, for all of us ML fans and yourself, please reconsider your decision. If you have already given Jim Power’s title away, offer him a different title, e.g. Chief Engineer or something he likes. Knowing Jim, he can clearly work with anyone. To Jim there is no above or below, we are all at the same level and we are all focused on enjoying wonderful sound, with the least possible pain and agony. Jim is a unique ML quality that we are all buying and paying for with pleasure.

Sincerely,
Name
Street-Address
City-Address

I knew it was Justin's fault, I just was wondering how long it would take for him to admit it or someone to accuse him.:D

I actually had a very bad feeling about the Jim Power's retirement announcement, but I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and keep my suspicions to myself. The timing just didn't seem right to me and it wasn't.

I think if you look at the body of work of Shoreview you can see that we are in fact seeing the beginning of the end of Martin Logan as a high end ESL-based company. With 20 ML speakers in my possession it doesn't make me sleep any easier.:(

Last edited:
Soren,

Well written. Looks good to me and underscores my latest post on this thread.

The obvious question for ML Corporate is:

DOES ANYONE GAS?

GG

Darn you Rich, looks like you are right again.

I guess you guys have figured out by now that I pay Gordon money to say this every so often. :D

Dave, thanks for following up on this. And Soren, very well-written letter. I think I will send a similar one.

Hey Tom,

I am just curious who passed this information on to you in this form? In other words, who exactly told you that Jim was "retiring" rather than that his position was being eliminated to save costs. As you know, there is a very real difference between the two. I am really tired of being fed BS by ML corporate regarding the changes currently taking place there, and I would like to know who exactly is feeding it to me. Thanks.

Hey Rich,
Another MLC member told me offline that Jim mentioned to him he was retiring. I emailed Jim who confirmed that he had told this member that he was indeed retiring. I don't know much more, but I can make a guess as to what's really happening based on what else is going on with the company.

Tom.

Last edited:
I'm sure the ML rep Justin will come and try to placate everyone,just as I stated on the order panels post.All this guy did was come here and drop a bombshell that certain panels were going to be discontinued.I think he has realized that he put his foot is his mouth by letting it out of the bag.Now he is saying whatever he can to calm the storm he has caused.Everything that Shoreline has done since the takeover has been carefully calculated to squeeze out as much profit as possible at whatever cost it takes.They know exactly what panels are going to be discontinued and if they say differant,I believe they are lying.That was just the start of the ball rolling.Do they really believe that they could dismiss Jim Powers like he is a sack of garbage and nobody would find out.Mr. Powers is one of the main reasons I have stayed with ML for so long.I have never met a customer service rep with more honesty,integrity,and sincerity than Jim.Many of the forum members have received the same service such as I and have their own stories.I am appalled by his apparent treatment and disregard.Why should we continue to show ML customer loyalty when they obviously have no regard for us or irreplaceable employees such as Jim.Sorry for the long post.

I've been considering a new pair of speakers to replace my original Summits. On my short list were: CLX, Wilson Sasha and Sophia, Nola Metro. After reading about the ML debacle, I just ordered a pair of Nola Metros. I've owned 3 pairs of ML's (Sequel II, Ascent i and Summit) as my main stereo speakers since 1991. ML - RIP.

Hey Rich,
Another MLC member told me offline that Jim mentioned to him he was retiring. I emailed Jim who confirmed that he had told this member that he was indeed retiring. I don't know much more, but I can make a guess as to what's really happening based on what else is going on with the company.

Tom.

Hey big guy,

My guess is that JP is trying to be PC and a gentleman to the end. He is, as we all know, one serious class act.

However, after all is said and done, I trust the truth will come to light.

And yes Rich, was it a Chardonnay or a Merlot that I owe you this time around?

Gordon

Hey everyone...

I just wanted to share something with all of you.

The company I work for makes 200+ varieties of gourmet deli meats. We also distribute 5000+ other gourmet food items. The company has been family owned for 85 years. 3 years ago, the family decided they didn't want to risk their own money to build a new production facility, which would've cost $50M, so they sold 60% of the company to a private equity firm.

It was the beginning of the end...

Right after Thanksgiving last year, I was told that the distribution part of the company was being sold to our biggest competitor and I was asked to join the manufacturing side of the business. I was sworn to secrecy and it really sucked knowing what was going on while getting prepared from an IT standpoint, and all the while, lying to my co-workers and friends.

It was officially announced in February and it's been a pretty horrible experience; Good people have been let go due to the "downsize" - one of which was my boss, our CIO, who was a great leader, great project manager and knows his shit inside and out. Nobody at any company is irreplaceable.

It doesn't mean that it's not a good company any longer or that the products we make aren't any good, it is just a fact of life in the business world we live in these days. Ownership of the company is passionate about one thing: PROFITS.

I'm pretty sure what's happening at ML right now is very similar to what's just happened to the company I work for. It sucks - no doubt about it. We all have to roll with the changes, make the best of the situation and realize that when one door closes, another one opens.

I don't expect that anyone from ML will offer up anything regarding Jim's exit from the company and perhaps we shouldn't expect one - just wish Jim well in his future endeavors.

Tom.

Tom,

Thanks for replying. Sorry to hear about your company. We went through the same thing a few years ago after selling a family business.

In general terms, pursuit of profit above all else can work fine as a business model. As you said, it doesn't mean the company is no longer any good or that the products are no longer any good.

But I don't believe that really applies to certain types of businesses. A company that was built on quality of product and customer service in a specialized market such as high end audio, is likely to provide an inferior experience to its customers at an increased price point once they turn to this business model.

When a high end audio company is taken over by management that knows nothing about the high end audio industry and seeks to maximize profits while ignoring the desires of its loyal customer base, things deteriorate quickly. While the quality of the marketing gets better, the quality of the products gets worse. While the number of product lines diversifies, the cost paid by the end user for the higher end products multiplies. And even as product quality deteriorates, customer service and support also takes a dive. I believe this transition is what we are currently witnessing at ML.

Once the recognition of this transition hits the rest of the high end audio industry, the brand will be tarnished beyond repair. ML will be recognized as just another Polk, Klipsch, or Bose home theater speaker manufacturer. I predict this is the beginning of the end of MartinLogan as a high end speaker manufacturer.

As I already stated, I own four pairs of MLs and a center and sub, but I will not buy another pair of MartinLogan speakers ever again. I had been strongly considering upgrading to a pair of CLX's, but now I have no desire to do so. There are too many great speakers out there made by companies I admire. They have lost at least one high end customer due to their short-sighted decisions. Worse than that, they have turned me from being someone who talks up the brand to someone who is negative on it. :(

I went through this exact thing and KNOW first hand what Jim is going through. Being eliminated or Pushed out to the curb by corporate downsizing is hard on a person who believed so much in the product. KNOW ONE WAS MORE Martin Logan than Jim Powers. I know we will NOT get the truth until he is long gone from Martin Logan as the are holding him hostage with bound silence for his push out package. Its sad but this is the way of corporate greed. Get rid of High pay for lower payed less knowledge. :(

Chris,

I guess we don't know what the severance package was (assuming there was one) and the terms thereof.

For all we know, they may have just put Jim out to pasture with the proverbial gold watch, or some similar nonsense.

Gordon

PS: Just checked out the Corporate website. They still have Jim's picture under the "support" section and the wonderful quote regarding his approach to customer service. The hypocrisy is truly astounding.

Last edited:
Hi All! I usually don't join forums, however, I made an exception here tonight. Frankly, Jim is a substantial reason for me to keep buying MLs. I don't have the time to or temper to deal with audio problems, so Jim has been important for me to stay with MLs over the years. I'm going to put below in the mailbox tomorrow and I encourage others to do something similar. You are welcome to copy anything you can use from my letter; there is no damage in ML-Management knowing that we are talking to each other. Thanks All -Go JIM!
PS: If you have ideas to improve the letter, let me know, but be quick as it is going out tomorrow...

=======Letter to ML-Management=======>

Martin Logan
Attn: Management
2101 Delaware
St.
Lawrence, KS 66046

Date, March 24, 2010

Dear Martin Logan Management;

I’ve been a customer for 17 years. I started with SL-3s, then I bought more SL-3s, then Summits, Stage, Depth, and Script I. So I believe I qualify as a real source of income for Martin Logan.

Over the years I have needed Martin Logan support on 3 or 4 occasions. MLs are like old British sports cars, they are immensely enjoyable when they are working but require above average maintenance. The reason the latter never bothered me was Jim Power!

I understand that management has decided to restructure ML's production. That has to be a big decision and everyone, ML and customers, is of course anxious whether this is a good thing –or not. However, in all this, knowing that US support would stay in Kansas and that Jim Power would be there for all us was an important mitigation.

I now understand that Jim is being “downsized”. I want to make sure that management is under no illusion here. If Jim is “downsized” I will pledge to not buy ML again and I will assure you that I will inform my high-end audio friends about what has happened here and I will suggest to them that they also consider other brands (personally I’m going to switch to Dynaudio).

So dear ML-Management, for all of us ML fans and yourself, please reconsider your decision. If you have already given Jim Power’s title away, offer him a different title, e.g. Chief Engineer or something he likes. Knowing Jim, he can clearly work with anyone. To Jim there is no above or below, we are all at the same level and we are all focused on enjoying wonderful sound, with the least possible pain and agony. Jim is a unique ML quality that we are all buying and paying for with pleasure.

Sincerely,
Name
Street-Address
City-Address

Very well said. ML Management should be taking heed and I hope someone responsible there is reading this forum, particularly this thread. Count me among others who have owned more than one pair of MLs and had planned to buy another, but is no longer considering that. ML Management's treatment of Mr. Powers sucks, plain and simple.

Latest posts

Back