Japan Visit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GW1800

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I was in Tokyo, Japan on business but took part of one morning to visit high end audio dealers in downtown Tokyo. One was Dynamic Audio and near by was the other that I can't remember right now. Both stores were several floors high with at least one person to help on each floor. Dynamic was by far the best of the two. I had along someone to translate but really never got to far with any conversation. They were polite and let us look but not much interaction which was a little upsetting. I also could not take any pictures - sorry.

Each floor in both locations had better hardware as you went up with one floor in each building pretty much just for used equipment. Most single floors had more equipment then I have seen at any stores or dealers locations here in the states. Keep in mind I've only visited a couple in the Chicago area and none on either coast. But needless to say they had a ton of hardware along with many many LP's but curiously few TT's and did not see any reel to reel either. The manufacturers most represented were dCS, Esoteric, Focal probably the complete line of these manufacturers, some McIntosh, Wilson and YG. Tons of interconnects mostly Clearaudio from what I could see. Dynamic had one great listening room that I think they just move stuff into for potential customers to listen. You could also listen on each floor but I think that was more to just get an idea as the rooms were way to crowded to do any critical listening. On one floor they had two sample systems with cost - one was in the 500k range the other 750k in US dollars. They also had some pictures of some of the home listening rooms - pretty sweet they sure know what they are doing.

No ML speakers. I'm thinking the homes are pretty small and with electrostatic taking up more room they are probably not a good fit for this country. So it was interesting to just see how in a totally different country audio is sold.

Last edited:
No ML speakers. I'm thinking the homes are pretty small and with electrostatic taking up more room they are probably not a good fit for this country. So it was interesting to just see how in a totally different country audio is sold.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Yeah, with limited space in Japan, the only MLO member I recall had Sequels and they looked ginourmous in his room, and the separation between them was less than 6', and crammed against the wall behind them.
What Japanese audiophiles lack in space, they make up for with bling and uber-expensive minimalist gear.

You North-Americans and Australians are just spoiled with all the space in and around your houses. ;)

Looking at some slightly differing statistics, I saw that the average square feet of home size in The Netherlands is 'just' 1260 sq.ft. Comparable to that of Japan's 1435 sq.ft. And basically in the same size range as the rest of western Europe (except the UK and Ireland!). But the Americans, Canadians and Australians steal the crown...

[sizes in square feet / square meters]
2,236 / 206 Australia
2,204 / 203 America
1,498 / 139 Canada
1,489 / 137 Denmark
1,435 / 132 Japan
1,261 / 116 The Netherlands
1,228 / 113 France
1,185 / 109 Germany
1,054 /  97 Spain
  953 /  88 Ireland
  902 /  76 United Kingdom
Source

969 /  90 My suburban home :mad:

RDC nice info on house sizes.

I got to tell you the 1435 ft2 is not what I saw in Japan but I'm sure outside of Tokyo the homes are bigger. I visited sheet metal manufacturing and their factories are tight tight compared to the US. I guess I never gave it a thought but the ML type speakers are somewhat limited to be sold overseas just by space that is needed for best results. I'm sure they have and there are always exceptions but just never thought of it in that way. In my case being in WI we have basements that is most likely not the norm in other countries and even in many places in the US. Basements have a way to increase available usable space quite substantially particularly if you have a ranch type layout Vs a two story house. Also I got to say having dirt almost 360 degrees beyond my walls and a cement floor Vs a wood floor on 1st or a 2nd story I believe helps the overall sonics of a system. Just my two cents.

Also what I forgot to mention was not a lot of head phones. Some but you would think with the limited space they would be huge but not what I saw at least at these two stores.

Last edited:
Also I got to say having dirt almost 360 degrees beyond my walls and a cement floor Vs a wood floor on 1st or a 2nd story I believe helps the overall sonics of a system. Just my two cents.

Fully agree. I don't have a basement, but I'd love one.

Back