Jack Johnson and Friends: Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the film Curious George

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruppy

Reaction score
I never thought that I would be reviewing what everyone immediately would consider something for the kids.

The only reason I purchased this CD was because of Jack Johnson. I’ve enjoyed all of his music to date and thought, “Let’s give this a try, worst case the kids have a new Frisbee.” Unfortunately, all of their cds end up being used that way.

After listening to this one, I’ve decided I’m keeping this for myself.

This disk contains nothing but good music. For those not familiar with Jack’s musical style, this is a continuation of his acoustic jam sound along with lullaby-like songs. It has a lot of acoustic guitars with a “playing right in front of you” feel. The recording is excellent (perfect for Martin Logans), which I think, has progressed since his earlier work (Jack had his own studio built in Hawaii called The Mango Tree).

Does it contain “kids” music? Yes, there are a couple of songs that are geared directly at kids (Jungle Gym, The Sharing Song, and The 3 R’s). They are so well done, that it doesn’t matter. Any adult should thoroughly enjoy these songs.

As far as I can tell there are two cover songs. One is “The 3 R’s” with a modern twist to it; this song should be recognizable to most anyone. The other, “We’re Going to be Friends”, is a White Stripes song, which even though it is a very good version, in my opinion does not quite conjure up as much emotion as Jack White’s original.

Additional musicians other than Jack’s normal band: G. Love (of G. Love and Special Sauce), Matt Costa, Ben Harper and Zach Gill (of ALO).

Well worth the $13-14.

Attachments

• Curious George.jpg
    Curious George.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 188
Great Review

I too picked this one up with some trepidation. I'm a big fan, and was concerned that the "kidcentric" nature of the material would lessen my enjoyment. Not to worry, it's a solid album in it's own right. I think all of Jack Johnsons albums are great, especially when sitting on the deck on a warm summer day with a beverage in hand. Most of it sounds great on the Logans too, especially the two albums previous to this one which are both available on vinyl as well.

I have a CD of his stuff that someone burned for me! That guy is great! I want to see him live but he is currently touring in Europe. I wrote his website asking when he will be setting some US dates and have yet to get a reply. I'll have to pick up this one! Thanks for reviewing it.

Mark,
If you're jones'n for some live Jack, he does have a 2 disc DVD out from two seperate tours; one in the US and one in Japan. I've had it for a while, but wanted to watch it a couple of times before I posted a review. I had some issues with my system the first time I auditioned it that have since been worked out. I just haven't revisited the disks yet.

Mark,

Keep your eyes open, he's toured here once or more a year for the past few years. Last time I saw him he opened for Ben Harper with a guest apperance from Carlos Santana. A perk of living in the SF Bay Area I guess.

Jack pust on a great show and since he tours with guys like G. Love, Ben Harper and Matt Costa you're bound to get the added perk of seeing several great musicians.

Prior to the Curious George ST, the three major studio albums are all available on vinyl. Honestly, the quality leaves a little to be desired. I actually just picked up "Brushfire Fairytales" and "On and On" on vinyl (have had the CD's) but "On and On" and "In Between Dreams" both have a similar, curious problem. The first tracks on the album have NASTY crackel that eventually fades but it makes the tracks unlistnable. I'm not sure what it is, I don't have any other records that have the problem but it's annoying. I haven't opened "Brushfire Fairytales" so I'm not sure if it will have the same problem. We'll see. I do have two copies of "In Between Dreams," and both of them have the same problem.

Anyway, I agree. The Curious George (and all Jack Johnson stuff) is well constructed, well played and well recorded and recommended.

Back