Issue with MARTIN LOGAN ESL

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dopefish

Reaction score
Hello!

First post here, hope it's OK that i start with a problem!

I have a pair of ESL and one of the speaker stopped producing mid/high on the bottom half of the electrostatic section.

I have tried cleaning it, and inverting every cables and amps to make sure the speaker itself was the problem, and it is!

Any suggestion on how to go forward ? Can it be repaired or should i just buy another single unit ?

Thank you very much.

Hola and welcome. Please do not panic. Your ESL have 5 year warranty. It looks to me that you have a PSU (power supply unit) bad. Also, the +15V DC power supply could be the problem. Just swap these power supplies. The one that you have connected to the left speaker, connected to the right speaker. Make sure that you have plugged all the way the small connector that goes to the ESL. If you have everything right, the suspect problem is the PSU. Just contact ML service dept. for help,. or ask your dealer that help.

Happy listening!

Hola and welcome. Please do not panic. Your ESL have 5 year warranty. It looks to me that you have a PSU (power supply unit) bad. Also, the +15V DC power supply could be the problem. Just swap these power supplies. The one that you have connected to the left speaker, connected to the right speaker. Make sure that you have plugged all the way the small connector that goes to the ESL. If you have everything right, the suspect problem is the PSU. Just contact ML service dept. for help,. or ask your dealer that help.

Happy listening!

Thank you for your reply!

I have inverted the power supplies and the issue stays on the same speaker.

I've bought those speakers on the used market, don't have the original receipt, so i don't think the warranty still applies ?

Thanks again.

Do not say that. Just contact ML and ask for service. I do believe that your problem is the PSU. You can change it. ML service is design in a such way, that the user can service it. You have to remove the 8 philips type screws that are securing the bottom. This PSU is not very expensive. Less than $ 70.00 or around. Its a Printed Circuit Board. Write an email to Mr. Scott Gribble ([email protected]) and tell him your problem and also what you had done. Explain to him that you did swap the external power supplies, and the same speaker remain with the problem. Provide the serial number, and that´s it. Martin Logan has a very good service.
Happy listening.

Are you sure that the external power supply is active? Just swap the speakers. Put the one that its on the left at the right and the right to the left, using each other connections. I just want you to be sure that it is the PSU. This is a very small PC Board. It has four or five connections. Write on a piece of paper, the connections. Or take a pic with your cellular phone. Do the same connections. ML sends to you a drawing and instructions of how to change the board too.
Happy listening!

Do not say that. Just contact ML and ask for service. I do believe that your problem is the PSU. You can change it. ML service is design in a such way, that the user can service it. You have to remove the 8 philips type screws that are securing the bottom. This PSU is not very expensive. Less than $ 70.00 or around. Its a Printed Circuit Board. Write an email to Mr. Scott Gribble ([email protected]) and tell him your problem and also what you had done. Explain to him that you did swap the external power supplies, and the same speaker remain with the problem. Provide the serial number, and that´s it. Martin Logan has a very good service.
Happy listening.

Thanks, since this is low cost, i might start with that!

I will contact Scott.

Then you should get a little sound or very weak sound coming from the stat panel. Check at the tweak section of MLO, for a shower to the stat panel. Also, swap the stat panel from one speaker to the other.

Send me a PM for further instructions.
Roberto.

I am having this same issue. Swapped external plugs, no change. I guees swapping the panel is next.

Wait. Doesn't this sound like the perfect excuse to buy brand new speakers? Don't miss the golden opportunity to buy new! Oh and yes you will need a big sub like the Dynamo 1600 to go with them. Let me see, how much of your money can I spend? I'm very good at spending other people's money! :)

Sadly, my cats have already demanded their stimulus check. Something about ordering cases of canned cat food. They also told me they do not share their food. I think they can be selfish at times!

Back