Is there a new stage from Martin Logan coming?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
This question may have already popped up but I heard through the grapevine that M-L was coming out with a new Stage or Stage replacement this year. Anyone find anything out and, if so, are there pictures or specs?

Yep, and the Stage-X was previewed in this thread about the announcement (includes pics):

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14117-New-Center-from-ML-StageX

The Stage-X uses a ribbon tweeter to replace the dome on the Stage. Not nearly a new product and certainly provides no motivation to upgrade my Stage.. The fundamental issue of a M-L center channel to match the dynamics of their high-end panels is still far from resolved. A new "Super" Stage is where their focus should be. I have heard rumors that one is in the works.

A new "Super" Stage is where their focus should be. I have heard rumors that one is in the works.

You really think so? The Stage is pretty small and still costs $3000. How big would a "Super" Stage have to be in order to match the high end panels? And how much would that end up costing? $6,000? $9,000? Do you really think there is sufficient market for that? I would be surprised.

You really think so? The Stage is pretty small and still costs $3000. How big would a "Super" Stage have to be in order to match the high end panels? And how much would that end up costing? $6,000? $9,000? Do you really think there is sufficient market for that? I would be surprised.

If one has $15k-$25k invested in M-L fronts, would the cost range you suggest be that far out of line with a potential market of the existing base of Summit, CLX, and comparable existing setups? As for size...I leave that up to the engineers.

If one has $15k-$25k invested in M-L fronts, would the cost range you suggest be that far out of line with a potential market of the existing base of Summit, CLX, and comparable existing setups? As for size...I leave that up to the engineers.

Personally, I have 10K invested in a pair of Summits for my mains, and wouldn't consider spending more than a third of that for the center, which is basically what I did with the Stage. If I had CLX's at 20K+, I probably still wouldn't consider spending more than 5K for a center. That's just my personal perspective, and I am sure others would spend more. But I am not sure there is a market for an ML center channel speaker costing much more than 5k.

Yep, and the Stage-X was previewed in this thread about the announcement (includes pics):

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14117-New-Center-from-ML-StageX

Hi Jonathan and thanks for the update. I figured if anyone would know it would be you. I have had an original Stage since it was released and like it for the CLXs although the frequency range caught by the tweeter could be matched for the the large panels. I had though about a 3-stage array like the Tri-Center that Magnepan has for the Maggies but am not sure that it would be worth the effort or the expense. In theory a folded ribbon would be more like a panel than a conventional tweeter. However, I am not sure that this difference would be all that audible. Since there is nothing out there yet about this speaker, particularly in comparison to its predecessor, I think that I will wait on the sidelines for a while.

Earlier today I sent the following email to Martin Logan. They are familiar with my system.

Today I saw the movie Skyfall in a 4k Ultra Theater. this was the first theater experience I have had in 15 years. The impression I left the with was that the Stage is the weak link in my system. The center channel audio in the theater was full, with a depth that my system sorely lacks.

I am going to experiment with increasing the sub woofer cross-over and even changing the system to a phantom center and letting the CLX carry the weight.

A new high-end center channel design should be a high priority.

To save a few questions, the fronts are CLX and Stage. The are driven by a McIntosh MX-150 Pre-Pro and 3 McIntosh MC601 amps. The Subs are a pair of Paradigm Sub 1's...so the front end is not an issue.

Last edited:
Hello,

this is my first post on this forum (or any forum for that matter). the reason i registered was that i saw the thread and I’ve been patiently waiting for the new Stage X since September to accompany my ML Ethos (currently i have an old mirrage center, Sunfire HRS 12 sub and Paradigm surrounds). its been a few months since and i just have to ask someone, does anyone know the ETA on the new stage? i would love to order it for this holiday season but so far there is no signs of availability or anything to indicate on time of availability...

anyone?

Hello,

this is my first post on this forum (or any forum for that matter). the reason i registered was that i saw the thread and I’ve been patiently waiting for the new Stage X since September to accompany my ML Ethos (currently i have an old mirrage center, Sunfire HRS 12 sub and Paradigm surrounds). its been a few months since and i just have to ask someone, does anyone know the ETA on the new stage? i would love to order it for this holiday season but so far there is no signs of availability or anything to indicate on time of availability...

anyone?

I have been in communication with Martin Logan. The rep informs me that the Stage X is planned for Februrary 2013. Price TBA. Hope this helps.

Back