Quantcast

Is there a big difference between the Dynamo and the Grotto?

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

P

paul_choor

I was wondering (because I never heard it myself) if there is a big difference between the ML Dynamo and the Grotto? I want to use it in a surround setting with the Frescos...
I do know that there is a huge difference between the Grotto and the Depth, but I wonder if that big difference is there also between the 2 smallest, because they have almost the same internal parts and also almost the same measurements...

Gr. Paul.

attyonline

Reaction score
Not really. the Grotto has the analog EQ centered at 25 hz which can be a real helpful for a room node. Drivers are the same. Grotto has servo control which lowers distortion. If I had $1K for a sub, I would likely get a Dynamo and look for a used Velodyne SMS-1 which would rock. :) But the Grotto is a great choice too,

P

paul_choor

attyonline said:
Not really. the Grotto has the analog EQ centered at 25 hz which can be a real helpful for a room node. Drivers are the same. Grotto has servo control which lowers distortion. If I had $1K for a sub, I would likely get a Dynamo and look for a used Velodyne SMS-1 which would rock. :) But the Grotto is a great choice too,

OK!
The analog EQ at 25 Hz and the servo control are quite some differences.
I didn't know/realize that.
What exactly is a SMS-1?

Gr. Paul.

DTB300

Reaction score
paul_choor said:
What exactly is a SMS-1?
"Subwoofer Management System" from Velodyne. Works with Any Subwoofer.

It is basically a Subwoofer/Room Equalization System which includes 8 Parametric EQ''s, Microphone, and AutoEQ software (manual mode also availble for even better tweaking). Check out Velodyne's site for the product and more info.

I own one and so do a couple of others here, and it is one of the best additions I have added to my system.

Get better accurate bass without the added boom,
Find the best placement for your Sub,
Real-Time Frequency Curves showing you instantly any changes you made and how it affects the frequency response (15-200Hz),
etc. etc. etc.

Dan

Joey_V

Reaction score
SMS1 is definitely a must for any sub.... though you can get away with a BFD and going manual. Either way, you need to flatten out your infrasonic response.

P

paul_choor

Joey_V said:
SMS1 is definitely a must for any sub.... though you can get away with a BFD and going manual. Either way, you need to flatten out your infrasonic response.
What is a "BFD"?
And to flatten out the infrasonic response can't be done with the Dynamo and can be done a littlebit with the Grotto with the 25 Hz knob?
Is that right?

Gr. Paul.

DTB300

Reaction score
paul_choor said:
And you do advice me too that I should better buy a Dynamo with a SMS-1 in stead of a Grotto without one? Is it that important such a thing?
For me, after my experience with the SMS-1, I would not own a Sub without it. The remote control is also a big bonus, and with the code/software upgradable, it will just keep getting better.

Dan

osha7677

Reaction score
Do audio stores rent these? Seems like it would be for one time use unless you did speaker systems for a living (or moved alot).

topofroc

Reaction score
I believe the SMS-1 has been discontinued by Velodyne, but they occasionally show up on A'gon and Ebay. Another option worth considering is MiniDSP. It's a programmable DSP that sits in between your receiver/pre-amp and your subwoofer. Combined with Room Equalization Wizard (freeware), it will allow you to do much of what the SMS-1 does - for less money. You will need a bit of a DIY spirit, but it's easy enough to figure it out.

I've been very pleased with MiniDSP controlling the two Dynamo 1000s in my system. Bass is much more controlled. I was even able to add a house curve that boosts bass response between 20-45hz by 6db. Great for movies and TV.

Something to think about...