Is Sacd Dead ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jean-Marie

Hi Fellow's,

I've heard that Sony took the decision to abandon the SACD.
It seems it could be the same for DVD audio.

Commercialy, it look's like a big flop...

Do somebody know something about this info ?

JM

This is a topic that has been HAMMERED big time over at other forums. Many different opinions, false posts, inaccurate facts, etc. etc. Only time will tell if the format dies out or not.

Right now it is still growing fairly steadily as evidence by the www.sa-cd.net site that Stephen maintains..Great Site!!! SACD is not a mainstream format for top 40 etc, and even those that get released are terrible (most of the time but not always) in their sound quality. Seems like Jazz and Classical are the best sounding ones now...but there are exceptions.

Dan

I read the same thing. I will try to find and post the link. If you think about it except for audiophiles who knows about SACD. If sony drops SACD will be hurt more then it is. Except for the labels doing jazz and classical pickins are getting slimmer and slimmer

I fell into the SACD hype to a few years ago and to this date I only have <20 SACD's. I almost feel like abandoning the format too but there is a distinct difference in sound quality compaired to the same recording in red book CD format.

I hope that the future HD-DVD/BlueRay combined format will make everyone happy. (for a while)

The problem is that it's not easy to succeed commercially so this format need a very good system to shows the enhancement, oppositally to mass market gear's.
Also a five track system has not really a high.... WAF factor... : :p

Most of people are interested by mp3, ( wish i call the "fastfood" of digital audio : :D )

So wait and see.... maybe the Blue ray will blow up all this

Jean-Marie said:
The problem is that it's not easy to succeed commercially so this format need a very good system to shows the enhancement, oppositally to mass market gear's.
Also a five track system has not really a high.... WAF factor... : :p

Great Point, If your gear can not produce those details it will not sound much differance. The other problem is peoples ears, you look at HDTV everybody sees the differance. I play a great sacd and not everybody hears the differance.

Don't knock those mp3 I sitting here in a hotel with my ipod and a pair of Shure EC5's and it aint my ML's but better then its ever been :D

I have wondered the same thing about DTS. Really like DTS soundtracks, and it doesn't seem as though many movies on DVD are coming through with the DTS tracks included these days.

Webinattor said:
I have wondered the same thing about DTS. Really like DTS soundtracks, and it doesn't seem as though many movies on DVD are coming through with the DTS tracks included these days.

I think its probably a financial issue: I'm sure that the studios have to pay royalties to use Dolby or DTS. Doing both increases costs. It's also possible that DTS has higher fees than Dolby, sort of like American Express .vs Visa.

I had read that Dolby AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) was a mandatory spec on DVD's. Also, a DTS soundtrack takes up more space because it is less compressed than Dolby Digital. Plus a DVD manufacturer would have to pay a licensing fee to DTS and Dolby Digital. So during the mastering process if a DVD is running short on space or if the studio wants to save some money, one of the first things to go is the DTS soundtrack. Too bad since DTS is the better sounding format.

Latest posts

Back