$ is No Object Your Ultimate Amplifier for ML's...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTB300 said:
From all these posts, how many of you have actually HEARD the amps you are wishing for? Or is it just a wish based on price as they must sound good becuase they are expensive?

Just curious...

Happy Holidays,
Dan

Very good question!!! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, to hear these pairings would require an extreme effort on the part of the listener. The only place I know of that demos ML and ARC together ( and has the REF products on display) is Overture in Delaware. Anyone know of other places where this stuff would be accessible?

dyazdani said:
You'd have to listen while wearing sunglasses with a couple of those tube amps!
YEAH !!!!! Gotta Love it !!!!!!!!

DTB300 said:
From all these posts, how many of you have actually HEARD the amps you are wishing for? Or is it just a wish based on price as they must sound good becuase they are expensive?

Just curious...

Happy Holidays,
Dan

Errrr yeah. The original question was a dream amp for a Martin Logan speaker. ML speakers are not perfect and still require considerations of synergy etc. I was going to suggest one of the FM Acoustic amps but I have no real appreciation if they are as good as people report even though quite a few Soundlab owners use them.

Breathless reporting will never replace careful considerations of system matching. I have heard a number of Stereophile Class A components/systems put together sounding like a disaster.

This is dream amp stuff but Dan has a good point. Price doth not a great system make.

Kevin

Wardsweb said:
Then for shear exotic, there is Josh, the genius behind Electronluv.
I called Electronluv last year to get a ballpark price. They told me no new orders until they figured out how to honor the existing ones. And once that was taken care of the pricing and production issues would be re-examined.

If you have any news or links on them, please post it or PM me, love their stuff.

I think the dream amp for me is one where I suggest a general industrial design, and someone custom makes an amp for my speakers; like a tailored suit - perfect fit. :)

Last edited:
DTB300 said:

I have heard a cheaper Chord combination on MartinLogan speakers. I can only extrapolate how the moest expensive stuff would sound.

I have heard clear improvements though going up in the range of this brand.

aliveatfive said:
Unfortunately, to hear these pairings would require an extreme effort on the part of the listener. The only place I know of that demos ML and ARC together ( and has the REF products on display) is Overture in Delaware. Anyone know of other places where this stuff would be accessible?
Been there, done that....Awesome !! Terry is a good guy, i have dealt with him for 15 years.

Extrapolation Factor...

DTB300 said:

Just curious...

Happy Holidays,
Dan
Dan,

I think it's more of an extrapolation factor, i. e., Sunfire's sound cool, so the 'Carver Silver Seven' should be / would be that much better. Krell's barely reachable (to us) high-end is good, but Krell's Ultimate costing $400,000.00 to $500,000.00 (USD) is really just a Christmas fantacy, up to our imagination and our minds-eye totally... :D

Who knows where we could accually hear any of these dream amplifiers. Probably just in major cities posh areas like LA's - Berverly Hills or SF's - Knob Hill or New York's - Fifth Ave. They would probably insist on an admission fee too, just to power-up this kinda gear in order to listen to these exotic ultra high-end gear... :D

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Cheers

-Robin

DTB300 said:

Just curious...

Happy Holidays,
Dan

I wish i could hear the Accuphase amps that I want..

I based my choice on specs/build quality/reputation. When I was stationed in Japan in the 80's, I got a little taste of Accuphase stuff and IMHO it's awesome (or used to be, anyway).

Of course if money were no object, I would realistically go out and seriously audition LOTS of different equipment before making a choice.

There is ONE high-end dealer on Fifth Ave. in NYC and he carries nothing of note. Your local high-end retailer probably has more and better stuff. Even Lyric, the first high-end dealer in the country, doesn't display all that much.

Robin said:
OK, I've found the ultimate site for all things Ultra high-end exotic audio, check it out:

http://www.exoticaudio.org/ExoticAudio2.html

This site lists page after page of incredablly exotic amplifiers and audio gear... :D

Cheers

-Robin

I surfed that site a few days ago... and I felt sick. Like... I began to question my audio-hobby type of sick.

That site is too much... :( ... for me atleast.

Exotic Audio...

Joey_V said:
I surfed that site a few days ago... and I felt sick. Like... I began to question my audio-hobby type of sick.

That site is too much... :( ... for me atleast.
Joey,

Your probably right... ;)
You must admit the fashion models are pretty and the gear is unusual, a lot of stuff from Italy too, which was surprising... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Cool stat on page 10...

kach22i said:
I got up to page 20 (cool stat pg 10), how many pages is that site?
kach22i,

Yes, I thought the electrostatic pannel (on page 10) of 'Exotic Audio' was far-out... :D I don't know how many pages, yesterday, I only looked at about 17 pages on the Exotic Audio site. I shall look more later on today. IMHO, I think it's kind of fun to see all of the interesting gear, like the 'Underground Denon Amplifier', or the amplifier that looks like a Super-Conductor (the top of page two).

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
Robin said:
If money was no object, what would be your ultimate amplifier for ML speakers?

I just happened to be looking for the "Carver Silver Seven" Tubed amplifier, on line when I happened upon this thread, by our very own Wardsweb. :D
Thank you Wardsweb, as I could not find a photo of the Carver Silver Seven, which is of course long since out of production. See the photo / theread of the 'Carver Silver Seven' Tubed ampilifer:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=334

So what your ultimate amplifier?
A photo or web link would be fantastic if possible... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Wavestream V8 Mono's!

Yet another expensive dream amp. for ML's...

Goldmund Telos 5000 only $345,000 (USD) for the matching pair of monoblocks but you'll never have to buy another pair again. :D

Attachments

• goldmund_telos5000.jpg
    goldmund_telos5000.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 526
Krell's Evo-900... Need I say more.

At $40,000 per monoblock I think a pair of these could power any ML speaker 8 ohms at 900 watts 4 ohms at 1800 watts ...and they look cool too. :music:

Attachments

• Krell Evo-900.jpg
    Krell Evo-900.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 521
Back