Is it worth upgrading DVD players?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Alzee

Hello everyone. I was thinking about upgrading my DVD player from a $60 Hitachi to a Denon 2910. However, Do you think such an investment is worth while? Are the new HD-DVD players comming? I am really confused about what would be best to do?

Help

Yes it is in my opinion. I recently went from a Samsung upconverting player to a Krell Showcase (yes, big jump), but the picture quality was nothing short of stunning. I was in the camp of waiting until Blu-Ray/HD-DVD came out but have no regrets about going with the Krell.

Thanks for your imput. I think I am may get the denon 2910. The reviews are good for this one and it won't beak me to much. :)

Alzee said:
Hello everyone. I was thinking about upgrading my DVD player from a $60 Hitachi to a Denon 2910. However, Do you think such an investment is worth while? Are the new HD-DVD players comming? I am really confused about what would be best to do?

Help

Hi,

I got a brand new Sony NS9100ES dvd/sacd. Let me know if you're interested. [email protected]

Thanks,

Mike

I am trying to wait for Blu-Ray, but Pioneer Elite’s new player the DV-79Avi is look’in pretty good.

It’s hard to say what too do at this point? I would wait till CES’06 in January, and see what announcements are made there. Toshiba was trying to get HD-DVD out before Christmas but have failed do to the lack to studio support. Sony is supposed to announce their game plan for Blu-ray at CES’06. Rumor has it Blu-Ray should launch around March-May time frame. The PlayStation 3 with it's built in Blu-Ray drive should launch around the same time.

I would plain on the new HiDef-DVD’s to be out around the summer time, if you can’t wait till then for a new player, then I would go get the DVD-2910.

Just my 2 cents.

DVD Upgrade ??

I currently have the Pionner Elite DV-45A. While it does a very good job on DVD it borders on being terrible with respect to two channel music(CD's). I feel the the number of "universal" players that do justice to CD playback is quite small. I guess the same thing can be said for listening to two channel music through a home theater receiver.....yuck !!!!

Buy all means upgrade your DVD but don't go crazy dollar wise since it is arguably the lowest on the totem pole(speakers,amp/pre-amp,CD player, cabling, then DVD !!) speaking in the digital domain, us old analog geeks place our record alblums along with with turntables, tube gear, etc. on top of the food chain !!!

Have fun, Happy Holidays !!!

twich54 said:
Buy all means upgrade your DVD but don't go crazy dollar wise since it is arguably the lowest on the totem pole(speakers,amp/pre-amp,CD player, cabling, then DVD !!) speaking in the digital domain, us old analog geeks place our record alblums along with with turntables, tube gear, etc. on top of the food chain !!!

i upgraded to a panasonic RP-82 based on recommendations here. that panasonic (and a couple of others) along with a couple of denon's dropped a hot shi*t faroudja chip in the video processing and the picture is just wonderful, even on my tiny 27" non-vega sony. moreso wonderful when you consider that all 5 of those machines were low-mid level players.

of course all of them have been EOLed which means ebay and even more savings. so, for 120 bucks i got a great dvd player.

the moral is that upgrading can make a great difference, but you don't need to shell out large bucks.

Back