iPhone and headphones- which ones to consider

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
Happy New Year to all...

If anyone out there owns an Apple iPhone, or has read about hi-fi headphones for the iPhone I would be interested in hearing your opinion on some good choices to consider.

There are a very limited number of true 'high-fidelity' headphones which will actually fit into the iPhone. The plugin on most headphones are a bit short, or the plastic part is too wide and doesn't allow the metal plug to fit deep into the phone's socket. I'm a bit disappointed that a pair of Grado headphones I am interested in do not fit because of the phone's design.

Apple's product page does list a few, but I don't feel I can trust the ratings from a mass group of people and would rather have input from this forum's like-minded ears. http://tinyurl.com/25hh9b

Anyone?

Thanks

Last edited:
You need an adapter that is available from Apple stores that converts the iphone jack (made for use with a microphone headset) into a standard mini jack. With this converter, I use my Bose noise cancellation headphones with great results.

I've been very happy with my Etymotic ER-6 headphones that I've had for several years. It just took a minute with an X-Acto knife to remove a small bit of material from the connector, and now they fit in my iPhone just fine. I really like the little button on the iPhone headphones (for pause, track skip, answer call) so I'll probably hack apart my ER6s and use the Apple cabling.

For in-ear phones, check out Etymotic and Shure. I think the ER6 is a steal at the current pricing, but I haven't heard the current 'i' model, so YMMV.

- Jason

Problem is what’s coming out of the iPhone isn’t Hi-Fi. :devil:

That's why we have Lossless and FLAC formats. ;) Back to the question...

Rich, I will try that approach and maybe I can still get the Grado's.

JasonR, good idea on cutting a small area of the plug. might consider that if i run into any issues.

thanks

I use Shure E4 - fantastic 'phones. I also have a pair of E2s which are great too at much less cost, but they compromise with a lot less definition and clarity.

Thank you,

These have been some very helpful posts. Amey... would love to audition the headphone you referenced and compare it with some others.

Cheers.

I really like the new Apple "Boob Pod", it works in conjunction with breast implants. Thus addressing the age old problem of woman complaining that we are forever staring at their breast instead of listening to them !

Back