interferences on the aerius i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcello

Reaction score
Hello

A few days ago, I noticed a very soft sound coming out from the panels of my aerius i. I then tried to check out the "rules" of this effect:

1. it sounds "static"
2. it is very soft, you have to put your ears close to the panel to hear it
3. it is there after the speaker switched on and music is played once and then I stop the music
4. it is still there when I plug out the speaker wire and the power supply
5. it disappears after a few minutes without signal
6. it is the same on both speaker

Maybe some of you knows this and can help me finding the cause and, more important, the solution.

Thank's for any input in advance...............Marcel

PS: I vacum the panels about twice a year, last time 2 month ago

Marcello said:
Hello

A few days ago, I noticed a very soft sound coming out from the panels of my aerius i. I then tried to check out the "rules" of this effect:

1. it sounds "static"
3. it is there after the speaker switched on and music is played once and then I stop the music

Maybe some of you knows this and can help me finding the cause and, more important, the solution.

Hi,
It sounds like you have something on or in the speaker panel that is forming a slightly conductive path for the high voltage bias. Dust and/or pet hair is the most likely culprit, especially in humid weather. Another vacuuming may be in order, and if that doesn't do the trick, maybe washing the panels.

HTH,
Peter

all electrostatic speakers make funny noises...

Marcello said:
Hello

1. it sounds "static"

Hola Marcel...all electrostatic speakers make funny noises once and then...it will not harm the speaker and here is what your manual says about it:

Popping or ticking sounds, funny noises: these occasionals sounds or funny noises are harmless and will not hurt your system or your speakers. All electrostatic speakers are guilty of making odd noises at one time or another. These noises may be caused by dirt and dust particles collecting on the speaker by high hummidity or by A.C. line fluctuations that my occur in your area. Dust and dirt may be vacuumed off with a brush attachment connected to your vacuum cleaner or you may blow them off with compressed air. DO NOT SPRAY ANY CLEANING AGENT ON OR CLOSE PROXIMITY TO THE ELECTROSTATIC ELEMENT.

They come and go...without many times doing something to them. These happened to mines, also. Hope this can help. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Peter and Roberto

Thank's a lot for your input. Good idea with the manual.........what a beginner's error......shame on me........!

I will vacuum the speakers tonight and have a look if something happens. And if not, I will wait for better weather. Actually we have hot summer days with, for our region, unusual high temprature and high humidity.

One more question: Is it better to vacuum both panel sides or only the front side.

Marcel

Marcello said:
Peter and Roberto

Thank's a lot for your input. Good idea with the manual.........what a beginner's error......shame on me........!

I will vacuum the speakers tonight and have a look if something happens. And if not, I will wait for better weather. Actually we have hot summer days with, for our region, unusual high temprature and high humidity.

One more question: Is it better to vacuum both panel sides or only the front side.

Marcel
Hola Marcel...you can vacuum both sides with no problem, but if you are going to shower them, only front side...happy listening!
R.

Before you vacuum

Remember to leave them un-plugged for a while before you vacuum. I've read anywhere from 6 to 24 hours so the pannels dissipate any built up charge.

Kruppy said:
Remember to leave them un-plugged for a while before you vacuum. I've read anywhere from 6 to 24 hours so the pannels dissipate any built up charge.
Hola Kruppy...very good idea!!!
Thanks,
Roberto.

I had a extensive vacuum session last evening. The speakers were about one day without power before. The little noises are not gone all, but I would say about 80% of them.

Maybe I repeat vacuuming this weekend or I wait until the last little noises are gone without my help............

Have a nice weekend.......Marcel

Marcello,
It appears that vacuuming was part of the issue and we all suffer from that from time to time. I would vacuum again. I would also look closely at the panel and look for "dots" on the panel. Look thrrough the holes in the stator. I have to almost put my nose up to it. :rolleyes:
What you are looking for are little dots. The dots is and/or other contminants that float around in the air and then are attracted to the panel.

It looks like you are on the road to recovery
Just my 2 cents worth

Good luck

Jeff :cool:

Back