Integrating TV with Aeoni

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
Well I finally got a plasma TV and hooked my speakers up to it.... what a great joy it's been these last couple of days. :cool: However, I have one question that I cannot seem to figure out.

With my amp I like having no controls to the sound. What the cd plays is what I get to hear. Simple. However with the tv hooked up to the speakers I have about five new options that change the sound and I cannot figure out what I like best as it seems to change from channel to channel.

My options-
I can play a DVD or watch network programming in: Stereo surround, Movie, Music, Flat, sports or control the Tv's EQ as a personal preference. I can also turn the TV's speakers completely off so the music just comes out of the Aeons.

Those of you with similar setups what are you setting your TV's sound to?
:confused:

I have found that the TV eq is most critical when watching a music program and use the appropiate setting. When watching a blow em up movie the stereo suuround mode works pretty well. Other than that I just find the one that is most pleasing and leave it alone. I think it is on stereo.

For plasma viewing - 7.1 at all times for HT, it's the only way to fly...

SugarMedia,

As you may remember, I run my Pioneer 59TXi as a processor (and powers my rears). When I'm watching anything on my my plasma monitor, I watch everything in THX Cinema or THX Ultra 2 Cinema in 7.1 only. I have the 59 TXi processor set to process / up-grade everything to 7.1, for HT... :D

When listening to music with the monitor off, I almost always switch to Stereo three channel (with the Descent) for a 2.1 listening experience, which is marvelous simply marvelous darling... :D :p :D

i tend to watch TV and listen to all of my music in 2.1 -- if i am watching a show that is mixed in 5.1, i watch it in that.

no matter what, i dont use the speakers on the TV- i just run the sound from the cable box straight to the receiver and out the speakers.

im upstairs now listening to norah jones watching the sun set and mt rainier out my front door.

The Great State of Washington's - Beautiful Sunsets...

TheBobGoat said:
no matter what, i dont use the speakers on the TV- i just run the sound from the cable box straight to the receiver and out the speakers.

im upstairs now listening to norah jones watching the sun set and mt rainier out my front door.
Neil,

My Pioneer 43" HDTV Plasma came with speaker for mounting to the sides, I never installed them. they are still in the box in the gauge... :eek: I use my plasma as a monitor only. All audio has always gone straight to the 59TXi for processing into THX / THX Ultra 2 - Cinema converting everything into 7.1 at all times... ;)

I can hardly wait until I make it up to my retirement home on Camano Island, WA. I hope to be those beautiful sunsets over Port Susan Bay with the Cascades as a gorgeous back drop with Nora Jones playing on my Logan's as well.... :D :D

Robin said:
SugarMedia,

As you may remember, I run my Pioneer 59TXi as a processor (and powers my rears). When I'm watching anything on my my plasma monitor, I watch everything in THX Cinema or THX Ultra 2 Cinema in 7.1 only. I have the 59 TXi processor set to process / up-grade everything to 7.1, for HT... :D

When listening to music with the monitor off, I almost always switch to Stereo three channel (with the Descent) for a 2.1 listening experience, which is marvelous simply marvelous darling... :D :p :D

Robin,

Since I don't have a processor, I take it you think that the bet for me would be to run the TV in surround mode. Is that correct?

Right now I'm just running the 'audio-in RCA cords' directly to my amp and turning on the HT Direct mode.

...and you finally got the Pioneer huh? I must say i'm a bit jealous. I ended up getting the an LG....but it does have the all piano black gloss which was important to me. After auditioning a few movies I thought the LG was quite remarkable and allowed me to save a few hundred bucks for cables, wall-mount, etc.

Last edited:
mapmustang said:
I'm sure your Aeons are offended by them.

Perhaps, I've thought that too.

But does the TV end up acting like a center channel (3:1), albeit a cheap one? when you have it on?

SugarMedia said:
Perhaps, I've thought that too.

But does the TV end up acting like a center channel (3:1), albeit a cheap one? when you have it on?

Even if it does, the sound quality is greatly inferior to your Aeons. While I like LGs TVs, I've never heard a TV speaker that actually sounds respectable. I was without my Logans when my amp was in for service and the quality of Tv speakers was pretty upsetting. Remember, just because you have more speakers doesn't necessarily make it better. I was much happier when I got my Ascents and just running them in stereo than my previous HT speakers in a full 5.1.

Yes, surround mode is the way to go...

SugarMedia said:
Robin,

Since I don't have a processor, I take it you think that the bet for me would be to run the TV in surround mode. Is that correct?

Right now I'm just running the 'audio-in RCA cords' directly to my amp and turning on the HT Direct mode.

...and you finally got the Pioneer huh? I must say i'm a bit jealous. I ended up getting the an LG....but it does have the all piano black gloss which was important to me. After auditioning a few movies I thought the LG was quite remarkable and allowed me to save a few hundred bucks for cables, wall-mount, etc.
SugarMedia,

I recommend just using your Aeon i's in surround mode. Using your TV as a monitor. ;) I have heard excellent things about the LG plasmas. Congratulations on your acquisition... :D

Back