Integrated Amp for Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a pair of Vantages for 2 channel listening and would like advice on integrated amps. I have read good reviews on the Krell KAV-400xi and the Musical Fidelity A5. At the local dealer I have only been able to listen to the Vantages from a Yamaha receiver. Has anyone listened to the Vantages with the Krell and the MF?

Musical Fidelity A5

I auditioned the Vantages at Audio Advice in Raleigh using the A5 integrated amp. The soundstage was very wide and imaging was really good. I got the impression that the A5 and the Vantages matched each other well. I am actually considering this setup since the A5 has a theater pass-through function. It would allow me to keep my full home theater setup and still have a high quality 2-channel setup. I also heard the A3.5 integrated amplifier and it did not give up any sound quality to the A5, only a little overall volume and it is quite a bit less expensive. I haven't heard the Krell but it also has a throughput function so I am trying to set up an audition even though it is more expensive.

I can only comment on the Summits with the Krell Kav 400xi but if sounds wonderful on the Summits (and it does) then you know it will sound wonderful the vantages. Check my system #93

If you have any thoughts towards tube gear BAT and ARC both offer interesting pieces. I have listened to the ARC unit(50-60 watts I believe) and was quite impressed, if you have a small to med size room both would work fine.

For some reason my Jolida 302-B while making slightly more power than the ARC didn't seem to impress me as much, yet I love it driving my little Totem Arro's....go figure !

FWIW, I noticed on AudioGon a new listing for a Modd'ed DK Design VSI MK II. I have no experience with this integrated amp but the modifications sound interesting. Maybe some of the other members can shed some light on this product ??

Last edited:
i'd vote for a tube integrated. i had a VTL IT85 w/ my former aerius, and it was awesome. leagues better than my former SS integrated. A few i'd look out for would be the VTL IT85, VAC Avatar, Conrad Johnson CAV 50, Audiomat Arpege or Opera, Manley Stingray, Cary SLI 80...

there's a reason audiophiles have long paired 'stats and tubes... it's a matched made in heaven.

I had problems to drive my Quests, which I owned befor I changed them for Odysseys. Once I tried to drive it with the amp from my second sistem, the Unison research simply two. I couldnt belive my ears, because the sound was very good (for my ears) Of course there wasnt enough power to listen to them very loud, the amp has only about 15W. So in my opinion, the sound is much better with a valv amp.

GP

Last edited:
A5 amp

I used a A5 for about 5 weeks on a pair of Aerius i with good result.I have now got the KW500 wich is miles better than the A5 but still the same sound. :p

Musical Fidelity A5...

SugarMedia said:
Get that A5.... you won't be disappointed
macallan,

Welcome to the ML Club!
Given the perameters of your choices Krell or Musical Fidelity, IMHO I would agree with SugarMedia - Musical Fidelity A5... ;)

It's good to have you here. :D

Last edited:
Robin said:
macallan,

IMHO I would agree with SugarMedia - Musical Fidelity A5... ;)

Oh great, another MF lover. When did you audition one, and which model? I'm curious to hear more about personal experiences.

Cheers.

Musical Fidelity A5...

SugarMedia said:
Oh great, another MF lover. When did you audition one, and which model? I'm curious to hear more about personal experiences.

Cheers.
SugarMedia,

Yes, I did an in store audition of the MF A5 some months back. I was looking to audition some Sound Labs eletrostatic panels and the Soundscape store I was at had a MF A5 connected to a pair of B&W's with a Denon CD player. I don't know what the cabling was. I had my auditioning CD's with me, Ray Bowns - "Live At StarBucks", Red Books -"Piano Meditations" and Eva Cassidy's - "Live At Blues Alley", and some Boston. Anyway, the Musical Fidelity A5 amplifier was beautiful musically speaking... :D The sound was clear, crisp and open. I listened at soft levels to start and eventually to loud levels and the amplifier just sounded even better. I was very impressed with the sound imaging and seporation it was a eye-opening experience. It was not hooked-up to a HT, so I did not get to demo a DVD for HT. Diffinately a superior amplifier though. I loved the A5, but it was not cheap though... ;) , but then quality never is, right... :D

Robin- I listened to it also with the B&W 803-D. Very nice combo, but I had to have ML's this time around.

Back