Instructions on how to replace SL3 rails

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownlo

Reaction score
Just got my hands on a nice pair of SL3's. They are mint but the black rails leave a lot tobe desired (ugh!) I have ordered the light oak rails from ML but was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the old ones safely without damaging anything?

You need to set the speaker on its "back" (lay it on something for protection and to keep weight off the posts). Hit the bottom of each rail with a rubber mallet and they will slide up, allowing you to pull them off.

dyazdani said:
You need to set the speaker on its "back" (lay it on something for protection and to keep weight off the posts). Hit the bottom of each rail with a rubber mallet and they will slide up, allowing you to pull them off.

Careful, it depends on the age of the SL3. Some SL3's require the rail to go DOWN, which means hitting it on the top. Might want to double check with the factory (based on your serial numbers) as to which direction your need to go.
Note in the pic below that the metal slides let the rail screws slide from bottom to top.

Also, once you remove the rails, the SL3 panel is only held by some Velcro, which will hold it for a bit, but eventually, the panel will fall. So leave the speaker on its back if you leave the rails off (or remove the panels).

To change the panel, first pull the panel off the Velcro being careful to watch the pigtail that goes to the terminal block on the front of the unit (see Pic). Loosen the terminal screws and remove the pigtail and the panel can now be set aside and replaced by reversing the process.

When re-installing a panel, be careful to maintain the tape protecting the double-sided foam insulation along the length of the panels.
If the sticky part of the foam is exposed, then sliding the rails back on is harder (or will rip the foam).

Oh, also, if you just ordered panels, you are likely to get the new ‘clearspar’ panels. Much nicer looking than the originals.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• SL3PanelRemoval_sml.JPG
    SL3PanelRemoval_sml.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 1,777
Thanks guys...
I called ML and ordered the new pair of oak rails and they did require tapping from the top to remove them...The Oak rails really bring out these babies!

That being said, I now have a pair of black SL-3 rails for sale.... :D

slownlo said:
Thanks guys...
I called ML and ordered the new pair of oak rails and they did require tapping from the top to remove them...The Oak rails really bring out these babies!

I prefer the black. I like the monochromatic appearance better. Makes it look less like a piece of grandma's wood furniture from the 1970s.

slownlo said:
Thanks guys...

Great news. Glad it worked out.

BTW- Might be interested in one of those sets of rails ;)

I have Oak on my one lonely left-over SL3. I’m currently thinking of hanging it upside-down from the ceiling in the rear as a rear-center. That is, unless someone else wants to get crazy and build their own center like I did :eek:

I just purchased the SL3 with maple rails and want to remove to paint it. How do I know based on the serial number to tap from the top or bottom?

Just tap gently with a rubber mallet in one direction. If it doesn't move, tap in the other direction.

GG

Back