In-store CD Burning

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

Reaction score
Just came back from San Diego and while i was there ran into a Sam Goody's. I had thought that they went under some years ago but learned that a few remain and are owned by FYE. That is the same group that took over my local CD place and closed them down :mad:

Anyway, while browsing i noticed that they had a section for Devin Townsend but no CDs. I asked if they can get any of his CDs as they are hard to find. They told me that they can down load and burn CDs on site.

After being assured of the same quality as the original manufactured version, i got a very hard to find CD for only $14. Not bad. It even included the art work and track listings, but not all the original literature.

I never seen this before and was wondering if this is common where you live.

I never seen this before and was wondering if this is common where you live.

Never seen it, but it seems freaking obvious. This lets even kiosk-type stores sell full catalogs from record companies, including the obscure stuff that wouldn't be worth stocking. As long as it's the real CDDA data, and not a MP3 or similar, I think that this would be great. Note: CD-Rs are inherently less shelf-stable than mass-manufactured CDs due to the processes involved, so I'd rip it to a lossless format immediately.

There have been experiments with a similar process for books: there is a printing device that downloads the typesetting, then prints a full, bound book (probably paperback, I don't recall). By the same token, it gives you access to full catalogs and obscure, low-volume stuff like vanity press releases, and keeps the "store" from having to warehouse, ship, and display inventory.

The publishers (both types) just can't get their heads around the idea. They're so paranoid about pristine digital releases getting out there that they don't recognize that that already happens, so their best strategy is to compete directly. They want to artificially maintain current pricing. They don't seem to realize that their associated costs will plummet, and they can maintain a similar net revenue while dropping prices. I personally would be inclined to buy more material, and take more chances with unfamiliar stuff, if I got it for $5 instead of $15-20 per item. My gross outlay would probably go up, thus increasing their net revenue.

Never seen it, but it seems freaking obvious.

This did seem obvious about 20 years ago but nobody did it. I remember thinking about it circa 1991 or so.

Now you can do exactly the same thing at home. It's called the internet, a low-spec computer and a CD burner (if you can be bothered - otherwise just buy a Squeezebox).

Why drive to a store when you can do it at home?

Why drive to a store when you can do it at home?

Because stores are a lot more fun. I enjoy just looking because things appear that might be missed when browsing online.

I tend to find it tedious paging over items online anyway. If its a good one, stores work for me.

Because stores are a lot more fun. I enjoy just looking because things appear that might be missed when browsing online.

I tend to find it tedious paging over items online anyway. If its a good one, stores work for me.

I hear you, I hear you!

It's just that stores (here at least) generally only stock mainstream box-moving rubbish.

I dread walking into those places, some computer-generated rubbish booming away through 10 cheap JBL speakers, gazing over aisles filled with 50 copies of the latest albums from Britteny Spears, Rhianna, N Sync and Madonna. Oh, and how could I forget the big rack out the front with 100 copies of the latest "Australian Idol" artist!

It seems - if it doesn't sell 20 copies an hour - they're not interested in stocking it.

........and in the final analysis of it - I can't really blame them. Retail space is expensive, and physically stocking something that may sit on your shelves for 6 months before you finally make a sale is not really efficient.

That's why - as much as I hate it - I've embraced online distribution.

Last edited:
I hear both of you.

The days of large CD selections in a real store seem to be long gone. But the used CD stores are "still alive and well" (Johnny Winter, 1994). That's where I go to find reasonably priced non-mainstream music and physical media and on occasion I come across a hard to find SACD, XRCD or OMR discs.

Otherwise the only other option is online shopping.

You're right...I was way off. 1994 must have been a re-release date.

I was in the used CD, Vinyl, etc store today and there must have been about 25 people in there shopping. The used music media business seems to be doing well.

Last edited:
I hear you, I hear you!

It's just that stores (here at least) generally only stock mainstream box-moving rubbish.

And i hear you O' my brother in musical acquisition:D

I have to admit, i have been pretty busy on the Internet acquiring titles, especially since my local hang-out closed down. There are still Cd's in my collection that i haven't even gotten to yet, music DVDs too for that matter.

This group was very supportive and made excellent suggestions when i did some therapeutic ranting upon closure of the above mentioned hang-out (http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10570)

Now days i don't even bother looking in a store that does not sell used Cd's. Its not that i am exceptionally cheap, its just that used equates to increased selection and favorable attitude of the proprietor.

I preferably buy from such stores to help support the cause. After all, we spend so much for all this fancy equipment and its enjoyment all comes down to what it is fed.

Last edited:
Back