Impression of my new Power Sound Audio S2112M subwoofer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
So last Tuesday I think it was, I got my new PSA subwoofer. The sealed 21 inch subwoofer S2112M. I set it up where my ML BF210 was, in the front right corner next to my Prodigy speaker. I just had to move in the Prodigies a foot or so to make room for the larger sub. Doing that actually made my sound stage better. Its as if I had my mains too far apart before. The soundstage is much more defined now and actually larger. The speakers dont have to be angled in as much either.

April 2023 a.jpg

Then I put the BF210 behind the sofa and am using a wireless ML kit to get the signal for that.

April 2023 b.jpg

I ran again the PBK on the Martin Logan and then ran Audyssey for the entire system. Surprisingly, the subs sound as if they are one just doing that. I did not have to fool with a thing. It sounds amazing.

The new PSA sub sounds very good. The bass is tight and accurate, more so than I even expected. The mid bass especially is really incredible. I think it almost sounds better listening to music than it does for movies. I am truly surprised at just how tight and accurate it is. When I play a drum solo through my Lumin D2 player it sounds like there is a drum set in my home! I tested it just using the PSA sub too and I can tell most of the impact is from it. The ML adds a lot too though, and im really glad I finally got a 2nd sub.

The PSA isnt as fancy looking or as beautiful to look at, but the performance as I can tell here in my room is better with the PSA. The PSA doesnt have fancy DSP software on it, but it doesnt seem to need it after I ran the Audyssey. Tom, the owner of PSA told me I wouldnt need either of the DSP boxes he sells there because im using Audyssey. He was right.

My only complaint with my new PSA sub is that I can tell even more now that my family room isnt a suitable room for home theater. The whole left wall of the room, an outside wall with a vented gas fireplace, rattles fairly badly with really low fequencies. So far it only happened once, during the 1st episode of season 1 of True Detective. There is a scene near the beginning that really shook the room! My wife was angry about that,lol. I turned down the room size dial a bit and took away some of the rattle. A properly built home theater room would allow this sub to shine even more. So this rattle isnt a big worry since its only with extremely low frequencies, and I dont run into that much at all. Its no fault of the sub, its rock solid. My ML BF210 doesnt have that kind of power.

So anyone on the fence about PSA, I tell you that from my experience that I am extremely happy with my purchase. The performance is outta this world. The bass in my music is now more alive than ever before. I was thinking this sub would be best for movies, but its equally great for music. In fact, im most impressed with how it plays music! Tom advised me to get the sealed sub, and so i did. Im glad, because it blends seemlessly with my ML sub. The bass now fills the entire room and sounds like its all coming from the center channel speaker and the Prodigies.

IMO, this PSA sub is an excellent value and truly high performer. I dont have any technical measurements to talk about or post, just how it sounds to me in my room.

Last edited:
I know some people will associate my user with the guy picking on PSA…

Regardless I am happy for you. I truly think your impressions are a little lop sided. You’d have to compare just the PSA on to the BF210. The fact you have 2 subs now with one right behind you, sure there is more bass, not entirely from the PSA though. Also I choose not to believe the PSA is better for music than a 210. Not properly set up.
I mean it, I’m happy for you, but comparing 2 10” woofers to a 21” plus 2 10” woofers and speaker changes means nothing to me.

Also just want to add I'm very happy for you. Dont feel bad about your space. We all agree with you on holding off to build your forever home, just enjoy the time! Because the flip side is once you have your dream room EVERY thing that isnt perfect would drive me insane. I can live with a lot of stuff now knowing its temporary

I know some people will associate my user with the guy picking on PSA…

Regardless I am happy for you. I truly think your impressions are a little lop sided. You’d have to compare just the PSA on to the BF210. The fact you have 2 subs now with one right behind you, sure there is more bass, not entirely from the PSA though. Also I choose not to believe the PSA is better for music than a 210. Not properly set up.
I mean it, I’m happy for you, but comparing 2 10” woofers to a 21” plus 2 10” woofers and speaker changes means nothing to me.
I compared the PSA to the Martin Logan by having the Martin Logan unplugged. So I tested just listening to the PSA sub all alone and it sounded much fuller and satisfying to me. Thats my impression here in my home. With the PSA I can actually feel a bit of a sound wave when sitting so far away on the couch. With the Martin Logan on behind the sofa the feel of the bass is even better. The two together definitely sound better than just a single PSA. If I had to chose a winner though between the BF 210 and the PSA S2112M, I would choose the PSA.
I figured a big 21 inch woofer would be sloppy and not as clean, boy was I wrong. To me the big 21 inch woofer somehow sounds tighter and more precise than the Martin Logan with 10 inch woofers. The biggest improvement to me seems to be the mid bass, the stuff you hear when drums are being played. The really low frequencies are much more powerful too, but I dont hear those too often with the music I listen to and the movies I have watched so far dont have a lot.

Also just want to add I'm very happy for you. Dont feel bad about your space. We all agree with you on holding off to build your forever home, just enjoy the time! Because the flip side is once you have your dream room EVERY thing that isnt perfect would drive me insane. I can live with a lot of stuff now knowing its temporary
Yes, I think I know what youre saying. I got into that a bit with my Porsche 911 turbo when I was having improvements done to it. There is always something that can be better! Eventually with the car I just decided that its good enough and leave it alone!
We would have built a new home a year ago if the prices werent so insane. Still waiting for the market correction. Its coming, just slower than I figured. I refuse to build a new home thats not as nice as what I have now and spend more money on it. Just isnt logical. Its frustrating! Its especially frustrating since I have heart failure and dont even know how much longer Im going to be alive.
What I have now in the room is better than what most have and I should be grateful for what it is, but like you I am always striving for the next better thing. Building a room with the sound proofing construction is the only way to go. I feel like in the next 5 years we should be able to pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Excellent review, Robert! And as I expected. Can’t wait to get my four TV21 iPals set up! Regardless of the sub and given proper setup and calibration, two will generally sound better than one, and four will generally sound better than two, and across a larger area as well. It’s just the nature of low frequencies. Cancelling certain room modes makes a huge difference in the quality of sound.

But you have realized the benefits of PSA’s choice of the Italian-made B&C drivers. The amazing mid-bass and tight response is what they are known for. Your quick write-up mirrors the observations from literally hundreds of reviews I’ve read about these subs. They truly are amazing, especially for the price.

And TiBoneFramer… you can “choose” to believe anything you want. Doesn’t change reality and you’ll never know the truth unless you give an unbiased audition to a PSA sub. Personally, I think you’ve just drank a little too deeply of the Kool-aid that is the ML marketing hype. Funny that you think a company that made their name specializing in electrostatic speakers can make a sub (not to mention, one with inferior drivers and underpowered amps) that bests all the subs manufactured by multiple companies who actually specialize in producing quality subs. I believe subs by PSA, Rythmik, JTR, Harbottle, etc., all best the ML subs in different ways (some for movies and some for music), especially for the price.

Regardless, I’m happy that Robert is satisfied with his purchase. That’s all that really matters. And believe me, Robert, I totally get the wife being angry about the room rattling. I’ve dealt with that. It’s part of what led me to build a soundproof theater in the new home I’m building. Can’t wait to have it finished!

Excellent review, Robert! And as I expected. Can’t wait to get my four TV21 iPals set up! Regardless of the sub and given proper setup and calibration, two will generally sound better than one, and four will generally sound better than two, and across a larger area as well. It’s just the nature of low frequencies. Cancelling certain room modes makes a huge difference in the quality of sound.

But you have realized the benefits of PSA’s choice of the Italian-made B&C drivers. The amazing mid-bass and tight response is what they are known for. Your quick write-up mirrors the observations from literally hundreds of reviews I’ve read about these subs. They truly are amazing, especially for the price.

And TiBoneFramer… you can “choose” to believe anything you want. Doesn’t change reality and you’ll never know the truth unless you give an unbiased audition to a PSA sub. Personally, I think you’ve just drank a little too deeply of the Kool-aid that is the ML marketing hype. Funny that you think a company that made their name specializing in electrostatic speakers can make a sub (not to mention, one with inferior drivers and underpowered amps) that bests all the subs manufactured by multiple companies who actually specialize in producing quality subs. I believe subs by PSA, Rythmik, JTR, Harbottle, etc., all best the ML subs in different ways (some for movies and some for music), especially for the price.

Regardless, I’m happy that Robert is satisfied with his purchase. That’s all that really matters. And believe me, Robert, I totally get the wife being angry about the room rattling. I’ve dealt with that. It’s part of what led me to build a soundproof theater in the new home I’m building. Can’t wait to have it finished!
Yeah, that new home and theater are definitely end game! I'm jealous. We can't even find a suitable lot around here to build on! Too bad you don't live near me, I'd love to see and hear your new theater. I bet there's lots I could learn too, and apply that to when I finally get the chance to build mine.
It's crazy how tight and controlled this 21 inch woofer is. I've never heard bass this good, and I didn't even buy Tom's Ipal. I'm definitely getting some like yours when I finally build my theater.

Now I have Martin Logan fronts, center, and 4 in ceiling atmos speakers. That combined with this new PSA sub makes for a hell of a combo. I love both Martin Logan and Power Sound Audio. Both are high quality companies.

Now I have Martin Logan fronts, center, and 4 in ceiling atmos speakers. That combined with this new PSA sub makes for a hell of a combo. I love both Martin Logan and Power Sound Audio. Both are high quality companies.

Did you already order second PSA? :)

Yea thanks man for the reality check! And no, I don’t think I’ll ever give PSA a shot. I’m not open minded enough. Too ugly, and no real limiter so you can get audible distortion if you want to. Also, I tried a lot of subs, and the ML was what worked best for me. Still does. I doubt PSA will replace Robs sub in a few years if he has an issue, ML did, yet PSA got the sale.

Reality is no sun is perfect, or there would only be one manufacture and we would all buy that, so easy with your use of the word. But Reailty is Rob and yourself like PSA much better than ML subs and I’m so happy for you both!

Did you already order second PSA? :)
No, no need really. What I've got now actually sounds better than I figured it would. My plan is to bide my time now until building a new home becomes more reasonable and we can find a lot. I don't really have the proper room now to handle more bass and I plan on going all out in a dedicated theater room with the Ipal subs.
Rich is doing what I'd like to do.

Yea thanks man for the reality check! And no, I don’t think I’ll ever give PSA a shot. I’m not open minded enough. Too ugly, and no real limiter so you can get audible distortion if you want to. Also, I tried a lot of subs, and the ML was what worked best for me. Still does. I doubt PSA will replace Robs sub in a few years if he has an issue, ML did, yet PSA got the sale.

Reality is no sun is perfect, or there would only be one manufacture and we would all buy that, so easy with your use of the word. But Reailty is Rob and yourself like PSA much better than ML subs and I’m so happy for you both!
As far as warranty, PSA has a 5 year warranty and ML has one 2 years shorter at 3 years long. If Tom's PSA didn't stand behind his warranty then his company would have gone out of business long ago. One thing is for certain, subwoofers don't seem to last nearly as long as regular speakers. They all break down. If a company doesn't back up their warranty then word gets out. PSA doesn't rely on advertising much if at all, it's all word of mouth. If there were warranty problems, word would get out.
When I called PSA on the phone, the owner Tom personally answered and I talked with him direct. That's access you can't get at large companies. He also communicated with me on all emails.
Martin Logan with Ron does a great job too. I really like dealing with them. So what I'm saying is that I'm glad I gave another company a shot with the subwoofer. If I'm buying an electrostatic speaker, Martin Logan is the clear choice in my mind. I probably wouldn't really consider anyone else. The specialty of subwoofer, I think it's best to consider other companies as well.

One really nice thing with Martin Logan, I've bought several speakers at my local store in the past and they personally handled all warranty claims. I just drop the speaker off at their shop and they do all of the work. They've fixed problems as well as handled mailing in the old back to ML and getting in the new. All work and parts are free when my local dealer was my seller. My recent bf 210 problem was different though because I didn't buy it local. I needed to work on it myself.

I doubt PSA will replace Robs sub in a few years if he has an issue, ML did, yet PSA got the sale.
And you would be wrong. Tom has a stellar reputation for customer service and doing whatever it takes to make things right when things go wrong. The only difference is, PSA offers that peace of mind for two years beyond what ML offers. Not to mention PSA subs cost about half as much as ML subs for equivalent performance. And, in addition to offering higher power amps and higher quality woofers, they offer multitudes more options for size, shape, finishes, design, cost points, etc. They will even occasionally do custom orders. My TV21 iPal’s are an example. Instead of having a sub-mounted amp, I got them with rack-mounted SpeakerPower amps which is not a standard offering. This is helpful to have access to the sub controls, since I’m mounting the front subs in a screen wall. Couldn’t get that kind of custom order from ML.

Again, I’m not saying ML subs are bad. They’re fine subs. I just think their cost to performance ratio makes them a poor value compared to several other brands.

I want to emphasize too, how well the PSA integrates in my whole system, along with the Martin Logan BF 210. It's all cohesive and I can't "hear" either sub. They both blend with my Prodigies perfectly. All I did was run Audyssey. I'm sure it might sound better if I did some other fancier DSP, but to me this sounds awesome. I do think it's important that I bought the sealed PSA sub and not ported, for sake of blending in with the ML sub.

You have me seriously considering one of their subs. Maybe the "special" IPAL version, though I have to admit I was watching a movie last night and the dog, cat and I were all startled by an explosion, so the current setup isn't necessarily weak...

You have me seriously considering one of their subs. Maybe the "special" IPAL version, though I have to admit I was watching a movie last night and the dog, cat and I were all startled by an explosion, so the current setup isn't necessarily weak...
The moderator on here named Rich just bought multiple 21 inch IPAL subs from PSA. I think he got 4 of them. He's the guy who made me aware of the company. I'm really glad I got their sub. It sounds great. Best sub I've ever heard. I figured in my room the IPAL would be overkill and I think I'm right.

The volume knob on the sub is only turned up to about 40% or so, considerably under 50%. Anything more than that and it seems to overcome my Prodigy speakers. Audyssey had me set it at about 25%.

The Martin Logan BF 210 however is turned up to just under 50%, and it's up against the back of the couch. So it's really close, and the PSA is about 15 feet from the seating position.

The moderator on here named Rich just bought multiple 21 inch IPAL subs from PSA. I think he got 4 of them. He's the guy who made me aware of the company. I'm really glad I got their sub. It sounds great. Best sub I've ever heard. I figured in my room the IPAL would be overkill and I think I'm right.
Any idea what the IPAL brings to the table that the standard version doesn't?

I'd be folding this in with two BF210s and might put it at the rear of my large room, replacing a Dynamo 1100X. Or I could put it in an out-of-site location along the right side of the room, behind my couch. (Couch is L-shaped, and the shorter part of the L is parallel to the right wall, about 3' off the wall.)

The room is large and open to multiple other rooms and a hallway. Ceilings are vaulted. Volume of the main room is probably north of 7500 cu ft. The sealed 21" might be a nice addition.

Any idea what the IPAL brings to the table that the standard version doesn't?

I'd be folding this in with two BF210s and might put it at the rear of my large room, replacing a Dynamo 1100X. Or I could put it in an out-of-site location along the right side of the room, behind my couch. (Couch is L-shaped, and the shorter part of the L is parallel to the right wall, about 3' off the wall.)

The room is large and open to multiple other rooms and a hallway. Ceilings are vaulted. Volume of the main room is probably north of 7500 cu ft. The sealed 21" might be a nice addition.
Well, if you look at the stats on the IPAL youll see that the amp has quite a bit more power and the woofer then must be able to handle that fine. So I think its just a matter of more output. My room is about 20 x18 or so with 9 foot ceilings. It is also open to the kitchen and the remainder of the 1st floor, so its big. The single 21 inch and the single BF 210 behind my sofa is plenty for our room. It sounds like your room must be a lot bigger than 20x18. You might want the IPAL. You do already have two BF 210s though.
WIth my regular 21 inch sub I have the volume quite a bit under 50%, its probably around 40%. There is the ability then to get a lot more volume out of my sub. It just might do in your room too. Just depends on how much youre willing to spend. I can say for certain that in my room the PSA sealed sub blends perfectly with my single BF 210. Everyday I am impressed with how they sound together.
I recommend you call the owner Tom Vodhanel and ask his opinion. I was originally going to buy a ported version but he recommended the sealed. He talked to me about it personally. He can help you out. He knows home audio well. He also does not recommend things that you dont need, so he doesnt automatically recommend the most expensive things he sells. I asked him if I needed one of his DSP boxes for the sub and he told me no. So he turned down a sale there. Thats integrity IMO.

Latest posts

Back