Impression 11A in the house

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightloopy

Reaction score
After 22 wonderful years with the SL3 I am settling in with the 11A. I have about 90 hrs on them. Breaking them in has been interesting. TTOCS review of his experience was helpful and right on. Thin sounding midrange w/ zingers at certain frequencies out of the box. Prodigious bass compared to the SL3. They have improved significantly now with a big soundstage but the midrange remains on the dry side.
Interestingly, my 250 W mono amp dropped a tube and I plugged in my 75W stereo tube amp and it played very well with it. This was not the case with the SL3 which showed big differences with amp choice. Relieving the amp of driving the woofers must help significantly but still got to deal with the low impedance issue.
I plan to experiment w/ placement, ,bass settings, room treatments over the next few months. After things are settled in I will try the room correction.
Looking forward to hearing these speakers blossom!

Attachments

• MR1.jpg
    MR1.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 57
  • MR2.jpg
    MR2.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 56
I figured the woofers had run in enough when there was around 50 hours on the speakers so I ran ARC and it was a big improvement. Ran it again once the speakers had settled in quite a bit and there was more improvement.

The bass settings do more than you might think. Subtle usage is what worked for mine. I'll lookup the info Martin Logan sent me about the controls and "what" is altered and get those posted. That info really should be included in the manual so we know what we're altering so we have a better chance of getting it right sooner.

Congrats on the 11a's, did you get them from Overture ? keep us up to date as you fine tune them

I saw the information that you posted from Martin Logan re the bass controls. I don't have the ARC equipment yet but hope to do that soon.
Thanks Dave. Yes, got them at Overture where I got the SL3. Joe J has always been helpful through the years.
Yesterday I stopped by my friend who bought my SL3's. He thinks it's the best speaker he ever heard and enjoying them immensely. I have to agree , they are sweet. The 11's are a different game altogether and look forward to how they evolve.

Overture is a listed authorized Masterpiece dealer on the ML site. I've registered them on the site but hang on to your receipt.

Back