Imaging Q...Sitting Location vs. Sound

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I did when positioning my Vantages in my home theater setup was as follows: I put on pink noise on the left channel and started with not much toe-in. I then shuffled from left to right on my couch to hear where the highs in the pink noise were dropping off. If they were dropping off long before I reached the right side of the couch, I used a little more toe-in. When I didn't hear any drop-off anymore sitting on the opposite side of the couch, I left toe-in like it was. I did the same with the right speaker and listening to some music, only minor adjustments were then neccessary. I ended up with the speakers almost pointing directly at the listener. I can just see the inside of the bass enclosure now.

Now everyone on the couch will have a reasonably stable image, even in stereo. It is possible with ML!

I ended up with the speakers almost pointing directly at the listener. I can just see the inside of the bass enclosure now.

Now everyone on the couch will have a reasonably stable image, even in stereo. It is possible with ML!

Aggressive toe in? Yes indeed.

For some reason, this is always the best position I found no matter what room I've had my Summits/Vantages.

Aggressive toe in? Yes indeed.

For some reason, this is always the best position I found no matter what room I've had my Summits/Vantages.

Indeed... I have found the X-Stats (especially the Vantage, I like the Summit with a bit less toe-in) require even more extreme toe-in than the 'older' series, like Aeon i.

I ended up with the speakers almost pointing directly at the listener. I can just see the inside of the bass enclosure now.

EXACTLY.:cheers:

Pictures to come soon....

Here are some pics of my room

EDIT: removed pics...please see my signature for my system

Last edited:
Last one...sitting on my couch at main seating area, looking at the TV: (you can see how much the Vantages are toed-in)

Attachments

• PICT0004 (Medium).JPG
    PICT0004 (Medium).JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I am in Sugar Land Texas...suburb of Houston.

Geez Thai.... that looks good!

Your toe-in is so very similar to mine... aggressive!

Love the black look... and the Bravia screams "LOOK AT ME AND ADORE ME"!!

Hehehe..

Joey

Thanks guys. The BRAVIA is so darn good-looking with the "floating glass" around it that it is so painful to turn down the lights and not see it!:D Sony really did a good job with the aesthetics of the XBR3 LCD flatplanels.

I used to have an all-black look, but the Denon 1930ci DVD player sucked...so i had to go to the old reliable Sony DVD player.

BUT, the thing that i am MOST proud of is the glass/metal stand for my Stage CC and electronics. I searched high and low for a stand to fit my room (cannot be big since my room is small), just about the size of my Stage, and must be open for ventilation (for my receiver which is powering my ML's). Either the stand was too big or too expensive ($500-1000 in most cases). Then, just by luck, i went shopping at Circuit City for Xmas shopping and wondered by their TV section. That was when i found the stand that you see above...blackened thick glass shelves and dark chrome metal Z-pattern...all for around $250!!:) As you can see, my Denon receiver barely cleared it!

Edit...here is the link if anyone is interested in my stand: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Z-Li...32901/catOid/-16821/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Last edited:
Back