Im going to experience Buyers-Remorse... I just know it.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
How many of you experienced "Buyer's Remorse" after you bought your audio product?

I have experienced this several times... when I bought my SVS, my Mosaics, my Polk LSi, my Onix Reference, my Sonus Faber.... all of them left me with some sort of a buyer's remorse one way or another.

I'm sitting here and I have a good chunk of a checking account... this is from my selling of all my audio gear in hopes of pulling the trigger on the Vantage. All the gear was bought under my own steam of working part time during school weekends and over summer breaks... so essentially, I just got back most (if not all) of my part time job savings.

It's all in my account now and I sit here looking at it and I know that I set aside this budget for the Vantage. I know that it isnt a wasted purchase since the deal's good and the Vantage will hold its resale value for quite some time (3+ years since it just came out)... it's not like buying a car or some computer part which will crash in resale value before the month's over. So I know my money is no longer "liquid" but in "speaker form" with the Vantage.

However, even knowing that, I still feel "hurt" once I add into the checkbook line "Vantage - debit $X,000" ... I know it's going to be painful.

Just some last minute jitters I guess....

I guess I can rest easy in knowing that with all my buyers-remorse experience, they usually last no longer than a week.

Joey,

You're right about the buyers remorse. About a month after receiving my aeons, I began to suffer from buyers remorse. As much as I love my speakers, I instantly began to wish I had larger logans!!! ;) Considering the alternative uses for your funds i.e. buying an appreciating asset verses a depreciating one, I'm hard pressed to think you'll find a better speaker at that price point. Think of it this way, those are speakers you can have for a condierable time. The only problem with such a great speaker is that it will cost you money in the long run as you work through upgrade-itis. Go for it and don't look back :cool:

Joey,
I've kept myself from posting this for a while; I've become a bit jealous (in a good way) of the members that have made recent ML purchases. I'm happy for everyone that has been buying the new ML designs and wish I was able to do the same (read no spare cash, not for a long time).

Buyer's remorse? Paahh! You're currently in the financial position to invest in something that will give you great enjoyment for a good number of years. As you get older, potentially get married, have kids, and get stuck with a 30 year mortgage like most of us shlubbos you'll be extremely happy that you bought them when you did.

I saw my dream speakers when I was in college back in the 89-90 time frame (Sequal IIs). I was able to afford them (barely) but the price scared me off. I told myself that one day I would own some MLs. I ended up spending a lot less on some Vandersteen 2Ces (good speakers but not electrostatics). 15 years later I end up with a nice used pair of SL3s. I regreted not buying those Sequals for years.

Enjoy your new purchase. Your ears will be happy (for years).

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
How many of you experienced "Buyer's Remorse" after you bought your audio product?

I have experienced this several times... when I bought my SVS, my Mosaics, my Polk LSi, my Onix Reference, my Sonus Faber.... all of them left me with some sort of a buyer's remorse one way or another.

i still wonder if getting the 5.1 to 7.1 upgrade on my processor was worth it. not only was it bucks of money, but i required a grand for an amp, over a grand for more scripts, more money for interrconnects and so on.

and i still haven't pulled the ceiling to run the cables and start using them. sigh.

anyone in for a ceiling teardown party?

Buyer's remourse is somethig I too suffer after any big purchase. Its awful, but a lot easier to put out of your mind if you are aware of the feeling and make darn well sure that you are making the right decision at the outset! With a pair of 'logans it is hard to go wrong!

In I Ching terminology:

Sound abundance.
It is favorable to seek advice from those you trust.
Great approaches, small departs.
No remorse.

:) ;)

Buyer's Remorse...

Kruppy said:
Joey,
I've keep myself from posting this for a while; I've become a bit jealous (in a good way) of the members that have made recent ML purchases. I'm happy for everyone that has been buying the new ML designs and wish I was able to do the same (read no spare cash, not for a long time).

Buyer's remorse? Paahh! You're currently in the financial position to invest in something that will give you great enjoyment for a good number of years. As you get older, potentially get married, have kids, and get stuck with a 30 year mortgage like most of us shlubbos you'll be extremely happy that you bought them when you did.

I saw my dream speakers when I was in college back in the 89-90 time frame (Sequal IIs). I was able to afford them (barely) but the price scared me off. I told myself that one day I would own some MLs. I ended up spending a lot less on some Vandersteen 2Ces (good speakers but not electrostatics). 15 years later I end up with a nice used pair of SL3s. I regreted not buying those Sequals for years.

Enjoy your new purchase. Your ears will be happy (for years).
Joey and Kruppy,

Kruppy, I know what you mean... :eek: I felt the same way. Currently, my daughter is 16 (my youngest) my two sons are 21 and 24, their college bills are looming for me.

I spent most of my cash for audio gear in 2004 - 05. I figured, if I did't spend this money on what I really wanted, it might never happen. So, I went ahead and purchased the larger, most expensive elements of my system, regrets / buyer remorse / parental guilt, sometimes but that quickly disappears when I turn on my system and play a CD or a DVD after a hard day of slaving away at my job... ;) I realize, I will be paying for my childrens college for the next 6 - 7 years, but at least as I work my job, I'll be able to relax and to listen excellent music and films in my off hours. I'm still planning to budget money for audio components and gear here and there... :) And I still have big plans / dreams for the future, which I will not give up on. I know now, I've done the right thing for my situation.

Anyway, Joey enjoy your new purchase. I too, trust your ears will be very Happy for years.

Cheers

-Robin

Joey when I was your age I to had a few bouts of it. Having to spend X amount of $ on speakers you have dreamed would make you happy and a week later reality sets in that you have a really great set of speakers and no $ or equipment to make them shine. Logan's are only as good as the equipment you pair them with, that's when the remorse sets in. If you have a great amp and good upstream equipment to run with the Logan's then go for it , that being said , if you don't have any equipment ,I would opt for the used market on all fronts . You can get some really good deals on used Logan's and buy some good electronics to match them. Just my .02

C.A.P said:
Joey when I was your age I to had a few bouts of it. Having to spend X amount of $ on speakers you have dreamed would make you happy and a week later reality sets in that you have a really great set of speakers and no $ or equipment to make them shine. Logan's are only as good as the equipment you pair them with, that's when the remorse sets in. If you have a great amp and good upstream equipment to run with the Logan's then go for it , that being said , if you don't have any equipment ,I would opt for the used market on all fronts . You can get some really good deals on used Logan's and buy some good electronics to match them. Just my .02

I agree and worth noting! - buying second hand means someone else has taken the depreciation hit for you.

The only problem with the used idea is that there are no used Vantages.

Ah, well... I get to sleep on this for tonight. I think my electronics are good and I think I can utilize the Logans pretty good for the meantime.. besides, they will be great speakers to grow into as I get some real dough and move up my amp and my source. That'll have to wait though, one thing at a time.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys... means a lot to a youngun. ;)

Go for it

Robin
Your words and sentiments struck a chord in me. Was and still am in the midst of struggling between heavy mortgage payments and my elder daughters'(19 yrs) massive college bills when I decided to go for the Odyssey. Had huge guilt pangs for several days. Without getting too philosophical IMHO you have only one life and you might as well enjoy it to the audiophile hilt.
The enjoyment I get from my system, recharges my batteries for the next days grind.
Joey : Go for it and the Gods will smile on you

I am pretty cheap with this hobby and don't think it is worth putting the type of money that many who post in these types of forums do.

I heard the Vantages one time. I think they are worth the money and if I had the extra money, I would prefer to buy these speakers than do many other things.

Daryl Zero said:
I am pretty cheap with this hobby and don't think it is worth putting the type of money that many who post in these types of forums do.

I heard the Vantages one time. I think they are worth the money and if I had the extra money, I would prefer to buy these speakers than do many other things.

Dang.. that says a lot about the Vantage then, huh?

Great speakers....

You know you are going to experience buyer's remorse but that is temporary. Do you think you'll still have buyer's remorse 2-3 years from now? How long has your remorse lasted from previous purchases? If you decide not to buy the speakers and spend the money on something else will you later have an opportunity to obtain the speakers you really want?

Doc Phil

Last edited:
joey, if you dont want them after you buy them. i will take them off your hands - i could have guys at your apartment in 20 minutes

Craig said:
You know you are going to experience buyer's remorse but that is temporary. Do you think you'll still have buyer's remorse 2-3 years from now? How long has your remorse lasted from previous purchases? If you decide not to buy the speakers and spend the money on something else will you later have an opportunity to obtain the speakers you really want?

Doc Phil

When I get a real job, I hope I can afford speakers of another level. Until then, this is probably my best shot at the Vantages.

Thanks Dr. Phil.

TheBobGoat said:
joey, if you dont want them after you buy them. i will take them off your hands - i could have guys at your apartment in 20 minutes

By "guys" do you mean "goons"??? :eek:

When I get a real job, I hope I can afford speakers of another level. Until then, this is probably my best shot at the Vantages.

Did you ever notice in movies and cartoons where they have a little angel and a devil arguing over the shoulder of someone trying to make a decision the devil always wins?

Back